“Worthy of an excellent rating.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fifth Floor Restaurant - CLOSED

Fifth Floor Restaurant
12 Fourth St, San Francisco, CA 94103 (SoMa)
(415) 348-1555
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French, American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Market St.
Transit: Powell Street BART Station
“Worthy of an excellent rating.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I meet twice a year with a friend in SF for dinner. We had heard about this place from friends and gave it a try. We were not disappointed. The restaurant is situated on the 5th Floor of the Palomar hotel, has no windows (that I could see) and has that warm, clubby feeling of a San Franciscan Supper Club, albeit more contemporary. We were give a warm welcome and seated on time. Other than cocktails, we chose a couple of bottles of well priced Chablis which were delicious. An amuse bouche preceded a couple of excellent mains (Black Cod and Lamb). We went a la carte as I am getting tired of the tasting menus, which FYI, is an option here. Coffee and desert followed and drinks at the bar with friends who joined us for a nightcap afterwards. This was one of the more memorable meals I have had in SF, not only because of the food but the service and atmosphere of the whole place. We also never felt rushed and were given time to enjoy each dish and were left to chat in peace. Definitely suggest you try this place. I don’t think you will leave disappointed.

Visited September 2012

San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Wow, I loved it. Dining here was fun, and kind of overwhelming. Great experience for the experienced foodie. Get your game face on!

Seattle, Washington
“Outstanding restaurant - don't let the bar intimidate you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Not so easy to find - you have to be determined to locate the Palomar Hotel, then navigate through the bar to find the restaurant. The bar seems like "the scene" but the restaurant is the true find! Carefully considered food, outstanding professional service, and a wine list curated by Amy Goldberg that should be the subject of a feature article in itself. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the evening, and my guests from London were definitely impressed!

Visited August 2012
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Good, but trying a bit too hard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had the tasting menu with a few of my husband's colleagues. The sommelier was friendly and helpful and guided us to a lovely bottle. The atmosphere was comfortable and understated, with windows on one wall revealing some rooftop planter boxes. Service was attentive. The food was very good, but tended to err on the side of overly self-conscious combinations of ingredients, where the waiters would set the plate down and launch into paragraphs of descriptions of every minute element. While we had a perfectly nice time, my husband and I had to hold back giggles as this meal conjured up memories of writer David Sedaris' descriptions of places just like this one.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Genoa, Nevada
“Great fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had the 8-course tasting menu with wine pairings, and it was a great experience and great fun. It gave us a chance to try dishes we would not ordinarily try, and for us, 6 out of 8 were outstanding. The wine pairings were superb. Tip of the hat to chef and staff. We had a great time.

Visited August 2012