“Don't believe the naysayers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Postrio - CLOSED

Postrio
545 Post St, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)
+1 415-776-7825
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Taylor and Mason
Transit: We are only a block from the Powell Street cable car lines, and a short 5 block walk to Powell Street Bart Station.
PaulieV
“Don't believe the naysayers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having read many negative reviews on OpenTable and Yelp I didn't hold out much hope for my meal and almost cancelled. I'm glad I didn't.

The atmosphere is warm, calm and relaxed. To start I had tasty dish of steamed mussels with chorizo that was more that though not mind blowing with tasty, perfectly proportioned and had plenty of chorizo to enjoy. I ordered the delicious prosciutto and fig "cold" pizza for my main with a a crispy light base and so much topping I easily filled my pig-based food quota for the month. The truffle oil just managed to not be overpowering. I was glad my server persuaded me not to change my mind when I considered changing my initial order.

The sticky toffee pudding was the only part of the meal that was disappointment. Though not unpleasant the sponge was not light enough nor the caramel sauce sufficiently buttery as it should be and sadly it seemed like both my and my wife's dessert order had been left out for a while before being brought to the table and it they'd both cooled and the ice-cream had melted substantially.

Apart from that slight slip in table service our waiter, Justin, balanced attentive knowledgeable service without being overbearing or intrusive on our evening.

One minor gripe, the meeter and greeter was slow to attend us and not at all welcoming to the restaurant but once seated we were happy.

I would recommend Postrio for its relaxed and intimate atmosphere which gives you the warmth and buzz of being in a restaurant without the bustle many other places have. The food is significantly better than many other places in the Union Square area and overall there is no sense of the tourist trap vibe I feared there would be.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Gainesville, Florida
“OK but not like I remembered it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This used to be one of my favorite restaurants in SF - but I was disappointed this time. Don't get me wrong, it was still a romantic, beautiful place with very good service, but the food was just not up to the level I would expect for the prices and reputation. They have a relatively limited menu with maybe 10 main courses and a selection of specialty pizzas. We had two nice appetizers - the arugula and beet salad was very good. The zinfandel by the glass was excellent but the could have poured a bit more. We both ordered the Halibut for our main courses and were disappointed. First the dishes smelled "fishy" and one should never get fresh fish that smells. We decided to try it anyway (thought about sending it back - remembering that the waiter told us that these were the last two remaining for the night and it was only 7pm!). To go along with the smell, the fish was not very firm like halibut should be - rather mushy instead. The saving grace was that the sauce on the fish was excellent as were the vegetables that accompanied it. A nice (expensive) place like Postrio should NEVER be serving what I believe was old fish! We decided to try an desert and were very happy with the toffee date cake with vanilla bean gelatto. Overall, I would say the meal was probably a Very Good, but with the fish being poor, we have to give it a "good" review.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Romantic Atmosphere/Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Two atmosphere's available; bar area in front with lots of socializing, more intimate and romantic seating in the back and downstairs. Limited menu, but very interesting dishes. Really enjoyed the tomato soup, hanger steak and eggplant! Excellent service and reasonable prices.

Visited June 2013
frederick, maryland
“Good pizza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed three pizzas - mushroom (good but heavy on the oil), fig and prosciutto (very good) and Margharita (ok). We started with PEI mussels in a wine sauce and octopus carpaccio (very good). Service was good. We had a nice dark beer.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good not great but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Sf has way to many choices for this place to be a top pick but if you go here you will have a nice dinner. The pizza with the figs on it is terrific. Wine selection very good. It will do in a pinch.

• Visited March 2013