“Not worth the price” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #618 of 4,918 restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ellis St.
Transit: Muni, BART Powell St. station is 1/2 block away.
Description: First Crush offers a “casual upscale” atmosphere for individuals, private events and large parties in the heart of San Francisco’s Union Square district, featuring the largest all-California wine list in the city. Low ceilings, polished decor and a cool backdrop of ambient music contribute to an intimate setting for enjoying First Crush’s elegant American French cuisine. The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2001-2012.
California
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

On first glance, this restaurant seems to be quaint and offers a nice selection, with even a vegetarian option. My issue is that the food isnt at the level I would expect for the price I am paying. The biggest rip off is the $20 cheese platter. You get a handful of nuts, a small puddle of honey, and 4 super small pieces of cheese. Literally one inch in diameter pieces with a basket of garlicy crostini. This was totally not worth the price we paid. I was apalled. My husband ordered the ribeye steak which we shared. I have to be honest, it wasnt the best ribeye i've ever had. it was kind of bland and there was so much fat around the edge I had to spit a bunch of the meat out into my napkin. I had to really salt the meat to give it some flavor. My daughter ordered the black pepper pasta and she said hers was bland as well and had to salt hers quite liberally as well. im not sure if my other daughter enjoyed her vegetarian option because she wasnt feeling well to start with. With tip and 4 alcohol beverages for 4, expect to pay 175 minimum. Thats without dessert or a 4th entree. The service was great but its very loud in there so expect to carry a conversation with a loud voice. Its located right in the heart of Union Square so thats another definite plus. If you are into Italian wines, dont expect any there.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
Charlottetown, Canada
“Our favorite restaurant on our trip to San Francisco!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My fiancé and I ate here in mid-June 2013 when we were visiting San Francisco for the Wipro marathon. We thought it would be fun to try one of the restaurants listed in the "Dine About Town" promotion (fixed price 3 course meal). After doing some research, we decided on First Crush due to the very positive reviews and the close proximity to our hotel. We both enjoyed the Caesar salad for an appetizer with lovely fresh focaccia bread and oils. I had a pasta dish (can't really remember the specifics but it was delicious!) and my fiancé had the burger for his entrée. We had coconut sorbet with strawberries and a sugar cookie for dessert. My fiancé also tried a flight of white wine and I had a cocktail... yumm! Everything was absolutely delicious! With drinks and tip our meal came to about $120 for the two of us. A very memorable experience! Would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Best meal I had in SF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Was in town for business for four days, so while I did not eat at many different places this place was by far the best meal I had while in San Francisco. Great food, had the salmon. Great wine flights, tasting. Friendly staff. Would definitely eat here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Linden Ca
“Long time dimer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I've eaten here since it opened.Sevice good. Cocktail had thick cucumber without seasoning which made it grate before. Frito mist o sad and soggy.Wine flights always good. If new ownership, tune up the kitchen

Visited June 2013
San Francisco
“Hidden Gem...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I work across the street, so I frequently send guests to First Crush for dinner. When "Dine About Town" rolled around this year I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try it out. The ambiance is wonderful, staff is very friendly and the food is delicious. The bread pudding was delectable and the pork medallions (special for "dine about town") were the juiciest most tender pieces of pork I've had the opportunity to enjoy. The pork was paired with brussel sprouts, cherries, yams, and it really hit the spot. I will definitely be back and will send people to this spot!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere