“THE BEST!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hog Island Oyster Company

Hog Island Oyster Company
The Ferry Building Marketplace, One Ferry Building, #11, San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 391-7117
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
“THE BEST!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Delightful,, informal oyster bar/seafood restaurant with San Francisco Bay views.
Great food, excellent wine list, cheerful service, fair prices. What more can one ask?

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Houston
“Quality place in the Ferry Building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This place is pricey, but it's all about location. The curly cress salad was one of the most interesting, memorable salads I've had in a long time -- probably because I love boquerones (cured fresh anchovy fillets), and they let you add those to the salad. Additionally, we ordered the clam steamers, which were delicious, and for a non-seafood meal for my dad, we ordered the grilled cheese. That was apparently fantastic -- he ate all of it. The staff was also very accommodating, and the Sancerre they have available by the glass goes perfectly with oysters.

Visited January 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best Oysters I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I love Oysters and I find myself pursuing the best & freshest oysters in the world when I travel. When I knew it was my last night in San Francisco, I went all out and didn't eat the whole day until nearer to their Happy Hour.

I went and had a seat at the bar before Happy Hour and started eating right until past Happy Hour. That way I knew I could beat the queue, find a good sit and not waste too much money on the normal priced oysters.

I knew this was going to be a Man Vs Oysters challenge! 96 Oysters in 1 sitting! (Yes I kept the receipt). I was there for that long until the customer who sat next to me has changed 3 times.

The amount of oysters I ate says it all and I have now found my best oysters in the world and it is in Hog Island Oyster. Their oysters were by far the freshest, juiciest and creamiest oysters I have tasted in my entire life. And If I ever have the chance to move location, I would move here just to eat the oysters.

The waiter was really impressed with how much I have eaten and commended me on it. He was very attentive and even recommended me oysters which knew I was going to like based on my first few selections. The bill came to $244 and of course the waiter got a big tip from me.

Check out the Mother Shucker pictures I have posted.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mexico City
“Oysters as its Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

WE follow the recommendation of a good friend and it was great! Even if we had to wait for 20 minutes, it was worth it! The oyster selection they offer is outstanding and the service was very good. My husband tried the Oyster sampler and was delighted with it. I had the Grilled Cheese Sandwich, allergic to seafood, and was yummy!!!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“Great oysters and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We come hear as our first stop every time we fly down to SF. The oysters are fresh and delicious, steamers are wonderful, and they have a grilled cheese that will make you dream of more. Small space so not good for a crowd. Get there early for lunch or wait in line. The staff is always fun and friendly. If you get stuck waiting in line order a glass of bubbly to sip while you wait!