“Excellent and varied dim sum” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yank Sing - Rincon Center

Yank Sing - Rincon Center
101 Spear St (One Rincon Ctr), San Francisco, CA 94105 (SoMa)
+1 415-781-1111
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #196 of 5,102 Restaurants in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Dim Sum
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: SoMa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent and varied dim sum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second visit to Yank Sing and we are sure that it will be a regular stop when we visit San Francisco in the future. If you enjoy sim sum, this is a great spot. There are many, many servers pushing carts with different kinds of dim sum and it's served piping hot. The only downside I can think of is that it's so very easy to overeat. All of the various choices are so attractive that it is often difficult to tell the server no thank you. We ate a late lunch in the middle of the week and virtually every table was taken. A fun and delicious experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Diego
“Excellent Service, Very Crowded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very nice dim sum restaurant. (I am really spoiled by my usual dim sum place, Jasmine in San Diego.) The prices here are on the steep side. Quality and variety of offerings is quite good. $4 pays for 2 hours of underground parking. (I am told that it is free on the weekends for 3 hours.)

Visited July 2013
Hamilton, Bermuda
“This restaurant does not disappoint all the hype behind it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Overall
- I think I would return for the service and unique setting, including the possibility of sitting in the atrium of the Rincon building, as well as the good food quality, of course
- Worth a try if you're a dim sum lover as there are lots of unique options that I haven't seen at dim sum before, and I've been going since I was a child (that's over 30 years of dim sum!!!)
- A humble suggestion that I will follow if returning to SF (as I'm definitely coming back) is: try some of the more uncommon items on the menu that may be pricey but looked fantastic, like the shanghai dumplings, peking duck, and one or two of their desserts, whose presentation was amazing - I can certainly see how the bill can add up with these items but don't know anywhere else you have this many optionsso that's the premium you pay and am perfectly happy with that!
- By far, the best dim sum service I have experienced
- Decent location - a nice 10-15 min walk from Chinatown/Financial District

Good/Great
- Excellent food quality and fresh ingredients, but not sure it is worth the price - depends on what you order, of course, and their more signature items will be more costly
- Not as expensive as I had thought, especially for some of the traditional items ($35 for 3 of us - 5-6 dishes and no alcohol)
- Really superb service that I consider exceptional for a dim sum/lunch experience
- Extremely clean and very attentive staff, including staff in the bathroom
- This resturant does live up to the hype of steller service, quality ingredients, decor, and I would consider it high-end dim sum

Not as Good
- some items are definitely a bit overpriced, but not as bad as you might think, but what restaurant isn't a bit overpriced when it is more on the high-end side?
- we ordered the very traditional har gow (shrimp dumplings) and siu mai (pork/shrimp dumplings) and the quality was good with big portions, but not fantastic; so again, maybe opt for different items that these ones

My family and I decided to try this restaurant as I'd read lots of reviews, both good and bad, and wanted to decide for ourselves. We got there about 11:15 on a Sat morning, and were seated within 15 minutes, after being given one of those machines that vibrates when your table is ready. There is a nice water fountain/sculpture that most people sit and wait at, and many take picutres of, while waiting to be seated.

It must have been earlier in their lunch service because we watched them set some brand new tables. I noticed the person who set the glasses down used white gloves, but no one else seemed to do this.

We were seated and very promptly, were approached by men and women wheeling around their carts. In retrospect, we should have waited for more unique items to come around than order our usual favourites, but that is no fault of the restaurant and just the timing/luck of whatever was near us. We ordered tea and were given a huge glass pot which was refilled promptly when needed.

One of the reasons I opine on great service is every "cart-pusher" would ask us very politely whether we wanted anything on their cart, and whether we said yes or no, would leave with saying thank you before moving on...unheard of in most chinese restaurants! Also, all the other servers, from the water filler, to the tea refiller, to the host, and people who come around and take away your empty containers did so extremely professionally and subtlely that you knew they were trained so. There was never any pressure to leave, or pay the bill right after finishing the meal, and as I looked around, could see they were willing to take pictures, and tried to accommodate your requests. You're not only paying for the dim sum, but also the service, which was truly exceptional for dim sum.

On returning, I will try other dishes, probably rack up a higher tab, but probably enjoy the food even more!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Martinez, California
“Xiaolongbao Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This place is an upscale dimsum place. If you are looking for cheap bites, do not go here. By upscale I mean expensive and little else. Why do I give it 4 stars? Xiaolongbao.

Xiaolongbao are little bites of heaven with soup in them. They come 6 to a basket with red vinegar and ginger to put on them. Carefully one must lift the dumpling onto a soup spoon, top it with the vinegar and then slurp it up. When it is bitten, hot, steamy soup pops out. I have made these dumplings and they are very difficult to make. Yank Sing have the best (other than my own) I have tasted yet. I try not to get too much more when I am here, as all I want are the Xiaolongbao.

Visited February 2013
Plainville, Connecticut
“Lives up to its reputation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Probably San Francisco's best known dim sum emporium, Yank Sing serves dim sum as would be created, presented, and priced by Ralph Lauren: upscale and fancy, expensive, and worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere