“Fantastic evening” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Piperade

Piperade
1015 Battery St, San Francisco, CA 94111-1220 (The Embarcadero)
415-391-2555
Transit: -Muni/Bart Stop nearby -Streetcars -Busline 10
San Francisco, California
“Fantastic evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

At first it seemed that the waiter was a little gruff with us for using a bloomspot coupon and bringing in a really nice bottle of wine. However, after a little bit of us girls chit chatting with him, he brought a totaly different attitude towards our table. He was able to suggest what we should order as well as the dessert wine that we finished our meal with.
The ambiance really picked up as people came in for dinner yet the place didn't get too loud.
I highly recommend the mushroom tartlet and the serrano ham is to die for.
The steak was nicely cooked and they were more than willing to substitute the broccoli for spinach. I will definately go back soon!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seal Beach, California
“Unique and superbly presented food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Wife and I arrived about ten minutes early on a busy Friday evening and were immediately seated. Over the next half hour as the prime reservation time was hitting, all the restaurant's tables were filled though there was room for dining at the bar. The tables are nicely spaced apart so you do have a good sense of privacy though close enough that you can watch and listen to the server as they are presenting the food and can engage in conversation with some diners if open to that. Based on our conversation with our table-neighbor and our waitress, it is obvious that a number of regulars consistently eat here. Always a good sign.

We started with a couple cocktails, my wife having a rum concoction that was rather sweet while I went with their Bloody Mary. This latter drink was unlike any bloody mary I ever drank with a very light tomato base, finely crushed ice and small unknown chiles. It was amazingly tasty and refreshing. While modestly spicy it left no "tomato juice film" around your tongue. Just a fantastic cocktail that I would re-order the next time eating there.

For an appeitizer we split their season mushroom tartlett which was split in the kitchen before presented. A combination of trumpet and I believe porcinni mushrooms over a lightly toasted shell. Subtly, earthy flavors that made us wanting more. For our entrees my wife ordered the braised swordfish with carmelized endive and pears while I went with their Friday "traditional Basque item of black cod served over a light broth with finely chopped leeks and potatoes. Both fishes were fresh, moist and flakely and cooked to perfection.

We ended the dinner with their yogurt cake, honey and rhubarb dessert which was an excellent combination of mildly sweet and warm yogurt cake and contrasting slightly bitter rhubarb with a creme frache drizzled with honey. Just perfect.

Though not familiar with Basque cooking to comment on its authenticity, I would highly recommend this restaurant that had good, friendly service in a relaxed reasonably quiet environment.

• Visited March 2013
Santa Barbara, California
“Great food, ambience and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

As the title states, this is an all around great restaurant. My first and only experience involved 9 of us dinning in their private dinning room which is definitely a consideration for any desiring such a set up.
The menu features "West Coast Basque Cuisine". Every dish we had was exquisite and prepared and presented with elegance and classic style.
The wine service with quality stemware is even more remarkable and to be in the environment of their glassed in wine shelves embellishes ones wine experience if you are in to such.
This is a winner and well worth the fare.

• Visited January 2013
Akron, Ohio, United States
“the definition of gracious dinning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

one of the best examples of a chief owned restaurant where you are made to feel at home, the staff is intelligent and attentive to a fault.The food is superb as the wine, especially the house white, produced for the restaurant by chief Gerald Hirigoyen in Spain. This was our introduction to Basque cuisine and it is wonderful, but anything out of this kitchen would be.
We were graciously accommodated on short notice on a Friday night, welcomed and served right away.
my highest recommendation

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney
“One of my favourite Restaurents in SFO”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I come here each time I visit with friends and business colleagues. Easily one if the best in SFO!! Don't miss it.