“Gotta go to Tadich” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 5,014 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
New York City, New York
“Gotta go to Tadich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have been hear each time I have traveled to SFO. It is an amazing place - food, service, vibe, decor. It has an old world SF feel and a weakness to it. The servers tell it to you straight and are totally classy. Last night I had dungenness crab leg cocktail and done delicious Napa rose. Sourdough bread accompanied my app. Everything was perfect and I left happy that my trip was complete.

Roseville, CA
“Eat where the miners had coffee!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

An historical landmark, the Tadich Grill, once a coffee house of 1849 and stopping place for miners, now offers a HUGE menu of seafood and steak as well as a variety of other entrees. Our waiter was helpful in the decision making and very professional. Some people complain that the staff is "rude" or aloof however, it seems to be part of the ambiance of the establishment so relax and roll with it! I had a filet and prawns which was very good. The prawn cocktail was good but I happen to like more sauce and very spicy so for me it was rather bland and very little sauce. Crabcake - only one two very small ones - were great I was told by our dining partners. I would have easily given it 4 stars but the prices on the appies were pretty high. We had a great seat by the window - got there at 5pm on Saturday and by the time we left, there was a line forming. They do NOT take reservations so plan accordingly and have a coffee in memory of the miners! Last note - they close at 9:30 so keep that in mind if you are going for dinner.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Oakland
“Great classic old fashioned seafood San Francisco style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I first stumbled into The Tadich Grill when I was a teen ager ( it was known as The Original Cold Day Restaurant) when it was on Clay Street in the financial district of San Francisco. It was about to be displaced by the urban renewal then in full swing there in the early sixties. I sat at the marble counter and had a bowl of clam chowder.
Since then it has relocated to California Street and I've been more times than I can count. They take no reservations, have a long marble counter, lots of booths in private alcoves and many tables along the aisle with the booths.
This is now the oldest restaurant in the city. It is not the kind of place that brags about how big it's freezer is for frozen fish, it doesn't have to, There is more than enough fresh fish here.
The French bread on the table is nice and sour, the waiters tend to be older men who have done this a long time, the floor is tile, the drinks are good, the menu is extensive, the seafood platter is something I have shared with a friend at lunch many times. This is hands down my favorite comfort zone restaurant. It is not a trendy zone, it is not a Napa Valley chef of the moment restaurant. This is where I go because it says San Francisco to me more loudly than anywhere else. Nothing else on the Embarcadero or nearby has survived. Everywhere else seems to be hell bent on tomorrow. This restaurant is up to date and excellent without currying the fancies of those so precious they must list the region the cotton in the napkins was grown in. This is the real deal

• Visited April 2013
San Francisco, CA
“Part of ol' frisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This place has been here forever, and it is what it is.
Not cheap, but lots of atmosphere, the occasional recognizable face, and good drinks, not too stiff.
Great, excellent seafood. Never had a bad dish.
The waiters are part of the charm, just sit back and take it in.
Enjoy!

Visited October 2013
Hercules
“A San Francisco Treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Over 20 years ago, I worked in an office building directly across from The Tadich Grill but, amazingly, had never eaten there. What a treat when a friend and I met there for lunch just recently. My sea bass was cooked perfectly as were the side dishes. The dessert, Jack Daniels bread pudding, was scrumptious. Service was impeccable. The decor is what you would expect from an historical San Francisco restaurant -- lots of wood and warmth. I don't know if they take reservations because we didn't make any but we made sure to show up before they opened their doors for lunch (there was a long line behind us!). Would definitely recommend.