“I schedule my travel via SFO to visit this Resturant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tadich Grill

Tadich Grill
240 California St, San Francisco, CA 94111-4361 (Financial District)
415-391-1849
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #54 of 4,523 Restaurants in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Financial District
“I schedule my travel via SFO to visit this Resturant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I have been visiting this resturant for the past 25 years. The food, ambience and wines bring me back as often as I can schedule my travel from Australia via SFO. You must have the salmon filets.

• Visited February 2013

Los Angeles, California
“It would be sacrilege to give this place less than five stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

It's famously known as San Francisco's longest-running restaurant. Maybe it is, but it is definitely one of its best and has been for years. I've eaten lunches and dinners there since the early '60s and have never been disappointed. Sure, you pay a ton for something simple but delectable like the famed petrale sole, but you're at Tadich. The wood, the counter, the absolutely best waiters on the planet, and the general old-time ambiance of the place makes you forget (well, almost) about the size of the check. Get there early for lunch and dinner, sit at the counter if you are one or two in number, and splurge a little. It's worth it.

Visited May 2013
Atlanta, GA
“Go just to say you went...but the food is nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Yes, I know...it's the oldest continuously operating restaurant in California. The atmosphere is classic, with the dark wood walls, witty male waiters in white who've worked there for years...the turn of the century menu... I have visited twice and I think I've satisfied my interest in history and got bored with what amounted to -- and I hate to say this -- expensive diner food. Not bad, mind you, but just rather plain. No sophistication in the cooking at all. If you took away the historical aspect and "feel" of the place, I bet you would see many more average ratings. I had one of their seafood specials...fish was a generous portion, properly cooked...can't say much else. Nothing fancy in preparation. Boston clam chowder is good. I don't recommend the steak -- generally flavorless, not impressed with quality of the beef. But the place is more known for seafood. Side of potatoes was also completely pedestrian and bland...almost tasted like hospital food. Well...okay...maybe that's an overstatement. My overall take on this place is: Go once if you want to say that you went to this historic "institution" but don't expect to be blown away by sophisticated or even especially flavorful food. You won't get that here. It's actually a bit pricy for what you are getting. Figure $45-$50 per person, assuming no alcohol. And some little annoyances...like ordering a soda gets you a tiny glass (maybe 6 ounces)...and they are quick to point out that they don't give free refills. Please... Anyhow, give it a try, but might be better off as a place to have a drink and some oysters rather than dinner....

Visited May 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Simply Sensational!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Being a big fan of Anthony Bourdain, when I visited San Francisco he had mentioned on his show the Tadich Grill as being an institution and having been operating since 1848. My friends told me to be there before 12 noon for lunch. As it's downtown and near the ferries, we walked past at 11am, not looking in thinking it's too early, so we went for coffee. At 11:30 we came back to find it jammed and 20 people waiting, I was stunned. Fortunately we were a party of 3 and got the last table for 4. The place was buzzing with activity and plates being delivered everywhere. We began with one calamari fritti started for the 3 of us, delicious and so big we couldn't finish it. We had a bottle of Monterey Pinot Noir and it was sesnational, being from Austtralia we know about pinots and this was exceptional and reasonable at $35. My friends had the Sturgeon and I had the Branzino (sea bass) served whole, which I loved). The waiter asked if I didn't mind bones and I told him the it's the only way to eat it. This reastaurant and the service was top notch and I will go back in a heartbeat next time I am in San Francisco.
An experience not to be missed, but don't eat breakfast and get there at 11am, because at 1pm you get the stockbroker crowd too. $133 for 3 with a bottle of wine, great value. No bookings.

• Visited May 2013
Bakersfield
“Beyond Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had heard many wonderful things from people that had dined at Tadich Grill. It was my turn. We were in the City for the Memorial Day Weekend and showed up for lunch on Saturday. We were greeted by some of the best staff I have ever come in to contact with. Energetic, quick witted, and exactly what my group needed.

The food exceeded every expectation. The cioppino, crab appetizer, drinks, and on and on and on.....

A great time. We actually rethought our reservation at Morton's and came back to Tadich.

• Visited May 2013