“Overall Quality and Classy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kokkari Estiatorio

Kokkari Estiatorio
200 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94111 (Financial District)
(415) 981-0983
Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 4,858 restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Seafood
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Front St.
Austin, Texas, United States
“Overall Quality and Classy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Wife and I made reservations in advance to make sure we could get to try this restaurant. Great service and classy overall establishment. Ambiance is first rate. We started with the Calamari which was outstanding. Wife had the roasted chicken and I had the braised lamb which just fell off the bone. Overall very good. A tad loud and crouded in the large room, but we had a very nice time.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
  • Greek first
“My high expectations were exceeded!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Incredible food, great atmosphere, the top of the list for any San Francisco visit!!! Our party of 4 shared 10 appetizers, and got a taste of almost all everything the chef had to offer! A great way to enjoy this fine restaurant!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“My Favorite Restaurant in San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Kokkari is my favorite restaurant in San Francisco, and I live in the Bay Area. I have dined here with my husband and I have also brought my team of 8 people here more than once for special celebrations. The food is delicious, unique, and consistent. We always start the meal with a selection of their appetizers, served on platters for the table to share: lamb skewers, zucchini cakes, kalamata pita, grilled octopus, Greek salad are all DELICIOUS. For mains, you can't beat their whole grilled fish. The only thing we've not been thrilled with is the roasted lamb .... we find that their lamb skewer appetizer is much tastier. One time they offered a goat stew as a special and that was delicious, too.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Top quality food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

As this was our last night in San Francisco we thought it should be a special one, and we weren't wrong. After looking on trip advisor I suggested we try the number 1 as suggested by other customers and they were right to say its number 1. For starters I had duck dumplings in a tomato sauce but it was more like ravioli but the pasta was crispy but delicious. My wife had the lamb meatballs in a slightly spicy sauce which again were very traditional but really nice. To go with the meal we had a bottle of white wine but was unusual as it had a rosemary after taste, not had it before as I tend to drink mainly italian wines, however it went really well with the dishes. For main I had the lamb chops served with roasted potatoes which were cooked pink and to perfection. My wife had the roasted chicken with potatoes, this was a very large portion but tasted out of this world. Couldn't manage a dessert due to the portions they serve but if I ever have the chance to visit this fantastic city again I will definitely go to Kokkari Estiatorio again! Thanks for a memorable evening!

Visited July 2013
Franklin, Tennessee
“Awesome Greek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This isn't what you normally associate with Greek food; mountains of pita, greasy rice and potatoes in a cliché white and blue dining room. This place has a casually elegant Mediterranean décor; more like an upscale Italian restaurant.

This place is very popular, so get reservations or sit at the bar like we did, which is first come. The service at the bar was awesome and we enjoyed the experience.

The food is what you come for. It was amazing! My lamb was moist and delicious, and my wife is still raving about the chicken a week later. Portion sizes are good and prices are quite reasonable for an upscale place San Francisco.

The concierge at the Four Seasons nailed it with this recommendation. If you have only one night to eat in SF, go to Kokkari!!

Visited July 2013