“Exclusive, intimate ambience, with exquisite food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kokkari Estiatorio

Kokkari Estiatorio
200 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA 94111 (North Beach / Telegraph Hill)
(415) 981-0983
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokkari Estiatorio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 5,102 Restaurants in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Front St.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Exclusive, intimate ambience, with exquisite food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

On a trip to San Fran that had involved meeting a special lady I had not seen for 6 years (with no previous romantic involvment) the pressure was on to make our last night together a treat. On the basis of the then Trip Advisor top rating I duly booked this place by email before travelling. All true! Busy place, and even when booked you have to wait at the bar no real problem for those of Irish descent) but the intimate seating for 2 set the tone for a really fantastic last night and dining experience. The busy ambience does not get in the way of discretely lit conversation and our host was very attentive in explaining all the dishes on the menu without overselling them. He even produced a selection of specs as I had forgotten mine. Both of us had a fantastic meal, one being a goat dish and the other based around fish. Wine was excellent (which is why I cannot provide the names of the dishes!). This is a place you could propose in if minded to do so, its that good, and the atmosphere and lighting make it suitably romantic. having travelled from the UK; what some would call pricey seemed more than fair to me for this place. No negatives whatsoever. It is worth booking before travel but i rate it 10/10. And having taken my beau there t thank her for meeting me and to say farewell, she must have loved it too because depsite all the horrible logistics we are meeting in Californai again v soon, so thanks K.E.!!!

Visited February 2013

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were here for a corporate event so not sure regarding how pricy the place may be but the food was excellent and the service even better.

Visited March 2013
“I'm a local!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

As a SF local, I highly recommend Kokkari for Mediterranean food. The best in the city. They have a sister restaurant in palo alto called Evvia.

I get the terramasalada appetizer (thank me later) and the moussaka. All their kebabs are excellent as they use only the best organic, local, grass fed meats.

During the weekday it's super crowded with financial district post-work diners so make RSVP ahead if time!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Excelsior, Minnesota
“Phenomenal Food, Nice Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently enjoyed dinner with a friend at Kokkari. The food was absolutely amazing. We enjoyed several appetizers, grilled fish and the baklava for dessert. That being said - plan ahead! My friend and I waited for over an hour to eat dinner at the bar.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Makes my "top 3" list worldwide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I'll get the negative out of the way first: we drew the short straw on the server. I am assuming this was an isolated event and I would eat here again any day. He came to our table and immediately launched into the specials. No "hello" or "welcome". No introduction at all. When we were ordering, my husband asked "if I order X medium, how will that come?" Response: "medium". Seriously. The poor service did not, however detract from the amazing dining experience, which says a lot about the food. The flat bread was the best I have EVER had. The lamb was to die for. This place is reminiscent of Zahav in Philadelphia. Just spectacular.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere