“Creative cuisine” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The House

The House
1230 Grant Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133 (Telegraph Hill)
(415) 986-8612
Neighborhood: Telegraph Hill
London, United Kingdom
“Creative cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had never seen such dishes on any menu. More restaurants should top a cod fish filet with a sushi roll cut diagonally because it tastes amazing!

Out of the starters we ordered, my favorite were the scallops. The sashimi was also good because of all the add ons, but the fish itself wasn't remarkable.

If you have room, head for deserts, that are also worth a try.

Service was good, but the restaurant could use some more room between the tables and a little less noise.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
“Simply unbelievable food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

On a business trip to SF, a local friend took us to The House after saying how good it was, so expectations were high.

Sure, it's cramped - they really do cram as many people in as possible, and I can see why some might find that a bit too much.

But seriously, who the heck cares when food is this good?

I had the tuna as a main course - surrounded by a mouth watering wasabi sauce and topped with crispy noodles. Without doubt one of the best meals I've eaten in a restaurant to date - sublime.

I just wish it wasn't 5000 miles away from where I'm at now, or I'd be going tonight. And next week. And the week after...

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Henley on Thames
“Sushi/Asian fusion heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Busy, quirky and fun. Really interesting, nice food served by enthusiastic staff in an understated environment. Booking essential. Get there early and go to the Bar to the left of The House for a drink that's important. In fact go to the bar in any way.(I've forgotten the name)

Visited September 2013
“Service could improve ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Saturday lunch, reasonably busy but sat immediately (solo). Wasn't given a menu or offered a drink, staff seemed more interested in clearing for a table that had just left. It also felt like I was sharing the table with my neighbours. Very cramped.

Water and seasame cucumber came before I'd ordered which kept me from dying of thirst. Eventually I ordered however the starter came before the drink.

Calamari was fantastic, prefectly spicy sauce too but I found the chicken and halibut udon too hot (temperature), to oily and the chicken was to big for chopsticks so I was cutting the meat with my cutlery in the soup!

There was no check back from the waiter at any point otherwise I'd have mentioned my grievances.

Just before submitting this review the waitresses snapped at a customer because she wanted to pay immediately... She just lost another star from my review.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Order the Chilean sea bass with noodles!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Reservations are a must in SF. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. I will definitely be going back.

• Visited September 2013