“Get there early... But worth the wait” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mama's on Washington Square

Mama's on Washington Square
1701 Stockton St, San Francisco, CA 94133-2914 (North Beach)
+1 415-362-6421
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Neighborhood: North Beach
“Get there early... But worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I was up at 7 to get in the queue before the doors open at 8. I know now why it is one of the best spots for breakfast in town. Delicious food! Only wish I had saved room for French toast.

Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
USA
“Worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The front desk clerk at the hotel said 'the best breakfast around is at Mama's. They open at 8am and there will be a line. There is always a line. But it is worth the wait." How right he was.

We got in line at 7:45 am, behind about 25 other people. As the doors open, people are let in and they place their orders. As tables are available they are seated-all are seated before the food arrives.

The main challenge is what to order. They have more than a dozen omelets including several with local crab meat. I wanted french toast and debated between the orange cranberry bread and brioche. As some brioche just came out of the oven, along with a pan of blueberry sour cream cake, I ordered the brioche french toast and a side of italian sausage. They have many types of fresh fruit for toppings. It was by far the best french toast I've had.

What impressed me most? Besides making all orders from scratch after you order, they are making breads, rolls, etc non-stop. We saw wonderful pastries and other foods come out of the oven and served steaming hot. You cannot beat their freshness.

After breakfast it was good that I needed to hike up Telegraph Hill, and down the other side to get to business meetings. After that scrumptious meal I needed some exercise. And the great views of the bridges and the bay was an extra treat.

So head over to Mama's. Don't get discouraged by the long wait. I ate there with a business colleague. Also had enjoyable chats with others in line. Two people in front of us were flight attendants on their day off before their return flight to London. A couple ahead of them were from Italy.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Delicious food but be prepared for a looooong wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our hotel concierge recommended Mama's - but only if we had time to wait. And wait we did! At 9am, the queue was 50 people long. And that was only outside... We were 3rd in line inside. The food though was great! I had Mama's Benedict while my son had a Northern Italian. And to reward himself for patiently waiting in line, he then asked for "desserts" - Mama's French Toast with 3 types of breads, fruit, jams and syrup! YUMMMM! By this time, the queue outside was 60 people long, and so we reluctantly gave up our table for some other patient souls. I would recommend it IF you have time to wait in line and still savour your meal afterwards. Bring a book to read or bring friends to chat - then the wait won't feel long :)

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Not worth the wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The food is average to good, but nothing special, there are equally good haunts, the hollywood cafe and the the french cafe along stockton street, to name but a few. The queue to get in, never mind the ordering system when you finally get in, is nothing short of bizarre, so personally I would go else where. I know people rave but honestly there are better options.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cairo, Egypt
“"Great Food, but Very Very Long Wait!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We arrived at 8:30am thinking we would beat the rush but still waited for over 2 hours in the queue. The food was fantastic though, but when you only have a weekend in San Francisco, not sure if I would waste two precious hours waiting in line for breakfast again.

If you do have the time, the eggs benedict, classic breaky, and french toast are amazing, and worth powering through the long wait!