“It s not Italian food ” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trattoria Contadina

Trattoria Contadina
1800 Mason St, San Francisco, CA 94133-2711 (Russian Hill)
415-982-5728
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Contadina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #152 of 4,523 Restaurants in San Francisco
Transit: Cable Car (Mason-Powell) line. Bus # 45, 41
Barcelona, Spain
“It s not Italian food ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

The food is below average, pastas are floating in heavy sauces and have nothing to do with Italian food. Prices are as high as they get in San Francisco but the quality is really poor. Service is friendly and whine selection ok.

Los Angeles, California
“Good food!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a nice place to eat. The place is a little small so reservations are a must. The menu is in Italian as well. This place was a recommendation, so I was expecting more...but I didn't get it.
The food was good and the wine selection was decent, but it was good.There was only one bathroom for everyone and it was a bit dated and too small. I think it was too expensive.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Small, old restaurent so reservations are highly recommended. Based on reviews and discussion with locals, thought this place would be great - however it did not live up to the hype. Roasted Pepper appetizer was fantastic, everything beyond that as good, not great. I am a bread junkie, and sad to report it was bland. Had the fish stew - generous portions with tons of a variety of fish in a tomatoe based broth - very good but then again not great. Got a side dish of pasta that I thought would give me a sense of their capabilties, but again it was good, not great.

They have a nice bar, other than that felt like I was eating in somebody's outdated kitchen. Others may consider that cozy, but it did not have enough charm for me.

With all the other great reviews/recommendations, I would definetly go back go check out again in hopes of a better experience that lives up to the hype.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Placentia, California
“Excellent Taste and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is a restaurant that everyone visiting San Francisco should try. The service was just superb. The food size and taste were perfect. The seating is a little tight but this has been forgotten once the service started.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Youghal, Ireland
“Heavenly meatballs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We hopped on a cable car with the intention of hopping off after 5 minutes and eating in the first place we found. Another passenger overheard our conversation and suggested we try Trattoria Contadina on Mason St as it is possibly the best Italian in the neighbourhood. When the driver agreed with her, but said we'd be lucky to get a table, we thought, 'we have to try!' Try we did, turned up without a reservation and managed to get the last table they had. We had all spied the meatballs on other diners' tables as we walked through the restaurant, and all ended up ordering the same dish! I can only comment on that one dish, but oh my, it was divine. Best meatballs I've ever had, with perfect pasta. For dessert one of our group had ice-cream, which is probably the best I've ever tasted, anywhere. My husband was so impressed, he asked if he could return tomorrow with a cone and buy a scoop! Lovely atmosphere, great staff. I would love to go back ;-)

• Visited December 2013