“Amazing confluence of flavours and textures!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Namu Gaji

Namu Gaji
499 Dolores St, at 18th St, San Francisco, CA (Mission)
(415) 431-6268
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Namu Gaji is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 5,012 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mission
New York City, New York
“Amazing confluence of flavours and textures!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Lovely restaurant with an easy to follow, order, and get served ambience. Their 'gamja' fries are simply delicious. Spicy, sweet, crunchy, meaty, fried, salty - I can see why many crave this dish. The Korean bulgogi tacos are impossible to stop eating - the nori sheets adding a surprisingly elegant balance to the smoky, sesame, spiciness of the bulgogi. The sliders are almost always sold out in one form or another and I cannot wait to try the 'sando' the next time I visit. The staff is warm and friendly and happy to add a continuous stream of piping hot water to your tea pot or ply you with copious amounts of gojuchang should you request it. A must visit - Hip, delicious Korean 'fast' food at its best!

Visited May 2013

State College, Pennsylvania, United States
“Eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a small, modern Korean restaurant in the Mission. The food is amazing. It is Korean with a twist. We had a cabbage dish with walnuts and anchovies, and a large pancake served in a stone pot with egg and radish. Both were the kind of dish you remember. They also serve a house-brewed rice beer. The restaurant is on the small size, and like others have mentioned, seating is a little creative. But honestly, you will probably be so absorbed by the food that you won't notice.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best lunch in Mission!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you've never had Korean food but you are curious, this will be an extreme treat. My wife, a friend and I were looking for something ethnic that would give us fresh seafood (we're normally in Phoenix, where there isn't a source for fresh fish) and would serve a quality beer. To our delight we discovered Namu Gaji and it's right next door to an excellent ice cream shop, so dessert is just an easy line up away. All Korean cuisine seems to go well with beer and like most of the Mission restaurants I've visited, they know their beer and can pair it well with their food. I ordered the okonomiyaki with an egg on top--the egg was an excellent suggestion by the staff-it's like a pancake but it has kimchi, farm fresh vegetables, bonito flakes-these make the dish-a reduced coarse tomatoey sauce and it's served with a modified mayo. It's crispy, gooey, semi-sweet, spicey and extremely fulfilling. My wife ordered the fried fish sando-a "tongue in cheek" twist on the filet of fish-I've never NEVER had a better fried fish sandwich anywhere. I close my eyes and get quiet when I think about it. I will return to this restaurant without question and promote it aggressively. They are that good. The ambiance is jovial and there are window seats to people watch. The restaurant is a tight space, but I've always found eating Korean food to be a very social experience, so expect to rub shoulders-it's not candle light intimacy, it's a place for friends and excellent eating. -the waiter knew his menu and his suggestions were spot on. I love this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Tasty Eats in the Castro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

There are no words. This is a cozy take on modern Korean. With great options for carnivores and herbivores alike. Just go. Eat. Get a window view and watch your tensions melt away.

Visited March 2013
Los Angeles
“Good food - lousy seating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I liked Namu Gaji...but it's a teeny tiny restaurant...very close....very loud...and not very comfortable. Went on a Saturday night...sat at a communal table on a stool...not very comfortable. There were 4 of us...and we could hardly hear each other. Not a great place to meet with friends and chat! Food was delicious....just wasn't a comfortable situation. We had reserved in advance and asked for a table...but in the end, they gave us the seating that they had.

• Visited March 2013