“Great Little Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Metro Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Metro Hotel
Save Saved
You added Metro Hotel to your Saves list
319 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, CA 94117 (The Haight)   |
Ranked #37 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Sydney, Australia
“Great Little Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Very good value for money. My friends complained their rooms were too small however I had the "godfather room" complete with giant horse head on the wall and I was quite happy with my room. Hotel staff were very welcoming and friendly. Hotel in a great spot to check out all the San Fran sights, Haight district small walk away etc

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
portland, or
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I call myself SF Exile for a reason. My job prevents me from living in my beloved home town. Trips back to visit friends and family make this situation bearable, as does staying at the Metro. Many things about the Metro have been upgraded since my last review. It's nicely decorated and more comfortable than ever. It continues to exemplify perfection as old San Franciscans like me understand it. When I'm back home I want to feel that I am in San Francisco, not some anonymous place. I can't imagine a more homelike place unless I couch surfed with the folks i know, which I'm now too used to more privacy to want to do. The Metro is a friendly place with a charming lobby filled with useful and fun guide books. All the desk clerks are really nice people who are quick to solve any problems that might arise. They live in San Francisco and give sensible, solid advice to those who don't know what to do or where to go. The rooms are immaculately clean, and the beds very comfortable with good pillows and warm blankets. The towels are ample and fluffy. I love the ceiling fans. The garden is so very San Francisco. if you grew up here or lived here for a substantial amount of time you will know what I'm talking about. If you are just visiting San Francisco as a tourist, the Metro will help you see why people love The City.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quieter. But all the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

San Francisco was mine and my friends last stop on a 14 day road trip around the center of California - The Metro Hotel was delicately chosen a year prior after reading several reviews and making sure it was in a good location. We were SO pleasantly surprised!! The front desk was SO helpful, it was so clean and comfortable, I felt safe and invited. There was only 2 problems with the room that we asked the front desk about and after about an hour of being out to dinner, we came back to find both problems completely fixed!!! The room was small, but it was perfect! There were shelves for our clothes, the bathroom was perfect size for 2 of us and it was so clean! We walked 10 minutes to the "Painted Ladies" in the morning after we stopped at the coffee shop on the corner. Also, we took the bus into Fishermans Wharf and after a day of site seeing we ended up walking all the way back to the Metro Hotel from the Golden Gate bridge, (it was only about a half hour) The neighborhood is safe and I never felt threatened or uncomfortable - It was an absolutely lovely stay ((the lack of an elevator might be bad for certain guests, although we were on the second floor and it didnt bother us))

Room Tip: Either way youre walking up stairs - My room faced the main road but it was still nice and quiet com...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

What a little gem the Metro is! It's within walking distance to Haight/Ashbury and GG Park. We followed the advice of another Tripadvisor user and stayed in a room at the back of the hotel, which was said to be quieter than the rooms on the front of the hotel. There is a restaraunt next door that uses the patio for dinner service, which was quite noisy but once dinner was over then we didn't hear any more noise. The bed was very comfortable but my 4-star review comes from the fact that the bed was extremely squeaky! It kind of put a damper on a romantic weekend...sorry, had to go there. The staff was awesome and very helpful. Parking is not easy to find but if you're a bit patient then you can find something within a coupld of blocks. We'll stay there again! :)

Room Tip: The hotel is on Divisidero so if noise bothers you, chose a room at the back.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Clovis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We grabbed a room here for a one night stay because all of out other favorite places were booked. What a great surprise! For under $150 we had our own little studio apartment with a private entrance. I almost don't want to review it, because I want to keep it all to myself.

We arrived late afternoon on Sunday and had to hunt a bit for parking. There's a DMV lot a few blocks away that allows parking during the night, so we started there. We noted 4-5 piles of fresh broken window glass and decided to move the car after check-in. It took less than 5 minutes to find a spot on the street, less than a block from the hotel.

Check in was easy, although we missed the door to the lobby the first time we passed. It's painted the same as the restaurant next door, so keep an eye out. Check in was seamless and easy. The young man on duty walked us around the corner to our room, 1010 Page. It's a studio in the same building, but with a separate entrance.

The foyer serves not only 1010 Page, but two other apartments evidently occupied by non-guests. It's a nice little entryway, and makes you feel like a resident, not a hotel guest. The room itself is a studio, with a bed area, large comfy chair, kitchen area, walk in closet and large bathroom. The picture window opens onto the sidewalk, making for some fun people watching until it gets dark and people outside can look in at YOU.

The space is efficiently used, albeit a little dark. There are two other windows, one in the sitting area, one in the bathroom, both of which open onto the garbage/backstairs area for the building. They're frosted, so you don't see out, but they both open for fresh air. The little kitchen has a sink, microwave, and fridge, along with some random dishes. There's a stool for sitting at the small eating bar. Directly off the kitchen in is a huge walk-in closet. There was a rollout bed in the closet, and it was so big that my teenaged daughter opened the bed in there and used it as a (very cozy) room. The bathroom is huge, although the ceiling is low, with a large shower, good water pressure and lots of hot water.

The room is basic, not fancy, and definitely old. The floors slope in weird directions and the woodwork sports layers and layers of paint. However, there are some nice things to make it comfortable - two ceiling fans, nice blinds, HDTV, great linens - so it's well worth the price.

We walked down the block to dinner and had our choice of a number of restaurants. Everything from burgers to gourmet is available within a short walk. Be sure to drop by Bi-RIte Market for ice cream afterwards. There's nothing like it.

Check out was just as seamless as checking in. I dropped off the key, had my receipt emailed and was on my way. One caution - they use real keys here, not magnetic cards, and there's a $150 fee if you lose it. Keep hold of it!

All in all, a great stay and a fun boutique hotel with a some character.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

When you stay in San Francisco, your choices are $300-$500. This family owned and operated hotel is not in that price range. It's not fancy, but for a trip to the city, where you are spending your time enjoying the sights and phenomenal restaurants, this is where you sleep and shower.

For longer stays, our room was appointed with a fridge, microwave, kitchen ware, plates, utensils, a coffee maker and sink. A couple hundred cable channels soap towels and a bed....so what more does one want?

It's a great rustic stay in a 100 plus year old building. The layout in the room we stayed in was funky (as in different) but it made us feel like residents , not tourists.

Being in the geographic center of the City, puts you in walking distance to a lot, a quick cab or Uber ride to everywhere else in San Francisco. Parking is a challenge, but if you are city savvy, it is just a patience challenge. We parked 100 feet from our door.

Negatives? The bed could be softer, the floor more level, the room a touch cleaner and the tv a little larger. For the price, I expected worse. So please don't stay here....I want to stay here again without the price going up.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Unidentified
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was a terrific price for a hotel in SF. You're on the fringe of Haight-Ashbury (actually in Lower Haight) and within thirty minutes you can be in Hayes Valley. (Although I discovered the bus system, and it made life much easier -- taxis are not that easy to get....) You are very close to Alamo Square park, where you can see some exemplary Painted Ladies. In fact, there's a lot of terrific Victorian architecture all around the neighborhood.

The room had very high ceilings, which made up for the fact it was a tight space. The bathroom was huge, but there was just a shower. There are no amenities. There is a ceiling fan, but in May you could open the window if it got stuffy. But it was actually too cool at night sometimes, and the blanket wasn't enough. It's clean and safe. There's something old school about the place, summoning up SF noir; the receptionist sits behind a little window. There is no lift so beware carrying heavy luggage up the stairs.

There is a very nice restaurant next door, Ragazza, which serves great pizza, and has a little outdoor seating space.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Metro Hotel? Share your experiences!