“Nice Hostel” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   685 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Nice Hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

1. Its a great deal, best place to stay if you don't want to leave a big hole in your wallet. Room rate including simple breakfast, everyone wash their own plate after finishing meal. In the morning there will be a long que for $1 pancake :)
2. Everyone I met in the hostel is nice, teenagers from all over the world, sharing their travel experience in San Francisco, its like a huge family. Staffs are very helpful and make the hostel feel lively and welcoming.
3. During my stay in the hostel, I've heard many times from locals that Ellis Street is bad area/ dangerous/ unsafe.............which I myself also felt the same, homeless people, rubbish, graffiti.. I've no idea whether if I'm affected by all the sayings or what, but well I'm travelling alone, so safety first. Most of time time when I mentioned Ellis Street people will be like "no, no, no..., I'll show you another route to get to your destination....". Even hostel staff will mark down an area in the map that we should avoid.
4. Especially at night the lobby and 1st floor will become the hang out area for the quests. Which I find it very cool, and you can make yourself a cup of coffee/ tea for free :)
5. Attached bathroom which is nice, toiletries provided.
6. Day Trips provided on the hostel's website is very convenient for travelers. But some trips only available on certain dates. Can check at the board at front desk/ lobby.
7. Hostel also helps to book transport to airport. Must make booking at front desk.
8. Vintage style of lift :) I love it VERY much!
9. Room was clean, bed was comfortable, new towels provided everyday and they will make the room too. "Safety Box" in the room is not provided with lock, so use your existing one or bring extra.
10. You can leave your luggage with the hostel prior to check in time, so that you can explore city without having to bring your heavy luggage along.

Well I have nothing to complain with this affordable prices, everything was so good that beyond my expectation. Room is clean, staffs was doing a great job.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed here for almost 2 weeks, and had an amazing time. The staff were genuinely friendly and so helpful. They make a huge effort to make this hostel feel welcoming, and they succeed. They have really large, comfortable common areas to hang out in, decked out in cool mismatched furniture, plants, books, and general interesting paraphernalia. And if you get in at 2am there's always a friendly staff member in the common room to have a cup of tea and a chat with before you go to bed. Free tea and coffee all day is awesome. $1 pancakes are awesome. The food and dive bars in this edgy neighbourhood are awesome. Even though the neighbourhood has a lot of homeless people, they really don't do you any harm, and it always feels safe enough because there are plenty of people on the street all the time. All our roommates were great! Maybe we got lucky but there was a generally respectful and chilled vibe at this place. I recommend it very highly and will be back soon I hope.

Room Tip: I had a 4 bed mixed dorm room, and as a female always felt safe and slept well. There was a bathroom...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was there in 2013 october for a week. I like very much the hostel. Good rooms and rest rooms. I recomend it. The zone is a bit dirty but is not very dangerous. You need to take ker. Near you have good train and buses conexions

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms over the street. Its noisy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

As we jumped in our cab from the airport and gave the driver the address, he warned us immediately that we were staying in a bad part of town. Uh oh. As we got closer, we could see why he said that, homeless people, rubbish, graffiti, etc everywhere. When we got to the hostel, we were greeted by a very friendly staff member who was happy to check us in. He gave us a map and also pointed out that we were in/near the homeless center (explains a lot!) And to avoid that area. We were quite concerned at this stage. However, other than the location, there is nothing to complain about! Staff were friendly and helpful, and happy to book us tours and shuttle buses. Our room was generously sized, very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. Our beds were made every day, and new towels too. During the day we simply walked to the civic center to catch a hop on/off bus. At night, we caught taxis directly to the hostel. Other than a lot of sirens, we couldnt tell that the area we stayed in was bad.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

The staff were amazing; they were always friendly and extremely helpful. There were events posted in the lobby, which meant if you were looking for something to do, the hostel was either hosting an event or letting you know about a popular event going on. The facility itself was always very clean. It had a good kitchen with lots of food storage space.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Berkeley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

As a nonprofit organization, we've booked many a hostel for groups of our international exchange students, and I can say without hesitation that SF City Center Hostel has THE nicest, most helpful staff of any city hostel we've ever used. We also love the decor and attention to enliven the common space areas. The kitchen is big enough to handle multiple guests preparing food at once, and the intimate dining area and bar are also a lovely touch.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was arriving into San Francisco by bus and realised it would be arriving at a very early hour (around 6:30am) so I made sure to phone the hostel the day before to ensure my booking was okay and I would be able to check in, or if nothing else I would be able to put my bags into the Hostel and wait in the lobby until such a time as I could officially check in.

The young lady on the phone was very helpful and assured me it would be fine to arrive that early. I made my travel arrangements and arrived in San Francisco. Found my way to the Hostel and when I knocked on the doors to be allowed in the young men in the lobby were particularly unhelpful. They told me they couldn't help me and that I had to go find a cafe to sit in until 3pm! They also told me I couldn't leave my bags there either as they couldn't take responsibility for them.

I was on a 9,000 mile trip around America, had taken an overnighter from LA and all I wanted to do was get some sleep before exploring the city. The guys there told me I had to pay for an extra night ($60) so I could sleep for a couple of hours.

I had no other choice as I didn't know the city and had no other way to do it.

I felt highly unwelcome and this experience really ruined San Francisco for me.

Other than that the daytime staff were helpful, showed me where to get my bus from and was all in all nice. It was just a shame my stay was dampened by this experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Michael F, Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hello,

I am very sorry this happened! What you describe does not at all reflect our policies. I would love to be able to follow up and look into this situation, but since you stayed one year ago, there is not much left to go on. Our policy is that we, of course, admit guests who are arriving in the morning and do store their luggage so they can go explore the city prior to check-in. While our check-in time is at 3pm, we also routinely check guests in early when we are able to, but it is not our practice to check guests in prior to our 11am check-out time.

I apologize if this experience adversely affected your stay in San Francisco. I have relayed your feedback to our team so that there are no repeats of this situation in the future.

Michael Foyder
Assistant General Manager

Been to San Francisco City Center Hostel? Share your experiences!