“oh dear lord, what a dump” 1 of 5 stars

You added European Guest House to your Saves list
European Guest House
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   761 Minna St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (SoMa)   |
Limerick, Ireland
“oh dear lord, what a dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

I stayed here with my 2 friends from home. We arrived from vegas and has mistakenly only booked one night in a hostel downtown. After phoning evey hostel in San Fran this was the only one with room available, and now I know why. The local area is very quite, dirty and smells of a mixture of urine and weed. There are homeless people but they kept to themselves. Upon entering the lady in charge "Sal" greeted us with a sleepy head, opened dressing gown and night dress and no bra. We could see this because she had a big bunch of keys pinned to the collar of her nightdress and gravity as it does pulled the nightdress south. When we checked into our "Private triple room" we ended up in a 4 bedded mixed dorm and there was an extra bed shoved into the corner where the local "Kevin" used to sleep if he wasn't high on drugs and asleep on the roof. There was a really nice japanese boy who while asleep the night before had been biten by bed bugs and was covered in red, angry bite marks all over his face and hands.
The carpet looked like fluid had been matted and dried into the floor, the floor was filthy.. we even asked for a hoover to clean is ourselves but were told that it was broken and given a brush instead. It was not cleaned once while we were there for the 4 days ( we couldn't leave cause the other hostels were completely booked up and we could not afford a hotel.). There was no airconditioning, mirror, ensuite ( the light only worked in one bathroom and the one bathroom with a window did not lock), no toilet paper, clean cutlery, bed linen was grotty, old looking, not ironed and not changed, we had to beg the lady in charge for "clean" linen. If you wanted to use the payphone you haad to buy the expensive call card from the hostel because "Sal" the land lady had blocked the insert for the coins and the phone cut off after 2 minutes if you got some one to call you.
On the good side we did have laugh here, we went out every night, dragged the somewhat sane other misfortunate inmates/travellers with us. You came and went as you wanted. It was always interesting to see who was new to your room as this changed daily and you could be stuck with man, woman, beast or inbetween the next day. Sal for all her downfalls was a sweet old lady who had had a tough life and did her best when she could. I think in the 4 nights i got about 7-8 hours sleep. I had to sleep with one eye open because "Kevin" didn't like me cause I gave out to him about been messy and dirty in a room with four others and he snored loudly... i had visions of him coming at me with a knife when he was high.
One thing is for sure, if you are unlucky, naive or simply don't believe this review you would want to be drunk or at least drinking for your entire stay.
If you are staying in San Fran make sure and book early, its a very popular destination and has only limited hostels so if you're a student and can't afford a hotel, book early. The hostels are slightly more expensive than LA and San Diego. The shopping and nightlife in San Fran are excellent. Fishermans Warfh is the best in the summer.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Notts, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

You may be reading the reviews on this website and saying oh maybe they're just exaggerating, it's not where you stay it's what you make of your trip... I know because that's exactly what my boyfriend and I said. We have been travelling for a couple months now and have stayed in some pretty dingy hostels, but please believe me when I say this is the worst "Hostel" you could ever stay in.

When we first arrived on the street of European Guest House we we're greeted by the view of a passed out homeless guy right across the road. The road in question had an unpleasent aroma, that of a cocktail of urine and weed.
When entering the hostel the smell did not get that much better. We checked in and carried our bags to our prison cell.
The beds had an array of stains and again unwanted smells and right in the centre of this bed was a wet patch of some sort.
Once the baggage was laid on the floor - no word of a lie - we could not move for lack of room.
The window did not open so we could not air out the room. Stepping outside of the room to view the bathrooms, I was passed by a homeless lady who then followed on to walk into somebody elses room.

We spoke to the manager Syed and told him we will pay for one night as the terms and conditions stated but we wanted a full refund for all other nights. He insisted this was not possible - that we needed to give 24 hours notice prior to checking in. Luckily for us my boyfriend had a copy of the terms and conditions and stressed that this man looked into this as we would not take no for an answer.
If he hadn't have done this, this man would have kept all of our money.

We will never stay in this hostel again and I urge anyone reading this not to as well... for your own well being.

• Liked — Checking into the Holiday Inn around the corner.
  • Disliked — It has not been closed down.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sanfrancisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

The staffs are very nice.the hostel is in down town sanfrancisco.very close to all travel attarctions.Love this hostel.

• Liked — clean lines
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

There were no keys to our rooms, this place is filthy, had to move homeless knick knacks off the beds in order to sleep, my belongings were rifled through, drug usage in the hostel, permanent homeless people (and more homeless inside the hostel than outside on the surrounding streets), no clean (let alone matching) linens.

I am amazed that I didn't get scabies. I had to sleep on the floor in front of my room until I was let in early in the morning. Instead of using the bathroom I brushed my teeth on the street.

Why is this place even listed as somewhere to stay.

• Disliked — That it was a vile Hellhole
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

We stayed here after seeing the hostel advertised on [--] and after a sleepless night decided we would find alternative accommodation in the future when wanting a weekend in San Francisco. We had booked a private room (expecting a double bed) and ended up with a small room with 5 bunk beds. There are mostly permanent guests that live here, and throughout the night it was evident that they were involved with selling drugs from the hostel. There was also a frightening incident where a guy crawled into a girl's bed and she woke up screaming until he ran away. We didn't sleep and left early the next morning. Not a good choice!

Stayed September 2007
columbia, mo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2007

I booked a double room there on internet ten days before I got there, and I didn't realize that I had not submitted the room fare on internet; then two days before we enter the hotel, I thought cancelling the room there and change to live in Adelaide which is far cheaper and better; but they said it's too late to cancel, and coaxed me that it would be a better deal to change it into a single if I want, which is not much cheaper(changed from $55 to $40), since if I just cancel the double room the purnishment could be high. The they asked for my credit card and ID(I'm a foreign travelor and could not exactly understand every word the African American guy said), then gave me a receipt of $40. It was later i realized if I didn't go there that time, I wouldn't need to pay the $40 for a single room(which later I found was so small, so dirty, with no TV, no bathroom, no table no chair!) , but I should just not go there and I can go to any other hostel to book a much cheaper room.
It's a bad hotel!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

The place is really dirty. I'll find permanent residents in there not just "Guests". The sorrounding streets are scary specially at night fall.
The staff was friendly but unprofessional.

Price is very cheap and it isvery close to downtown.

Although I definitelly do not recommend that place.
Take extra care to your belongings.

• Stayed July 2001

Been to European Guest House? Share your experiences!