“just terrible!!” 1 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   761 Minna St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (SoMa)   |
San Francisco, California
“just terrible!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'd had great experience of hostels in other cities and was looking forward to staying here. Even the dodgy street it's on didn't put me off. But the room did. I was in 6 bed form and travelling alone. The room was tiny... with space for maybe two bunk beds but not three!! The beds are poor quality and horribly rickety. I would have left immediately but for the fact I'd arrived at 11pm in a strange city.. the corridors smell of urine and there are not enough bathrooms for the number of people..
I checked out early the next day. I found a bong in my room and someone had attempted to get into my bag (thankfully it was padlocked!) The hostel wouldn't refund me and I've had to spend a fortune on another hotel at such late notice during a busy weekend in San Francisco. Has really spoilt my experience of San Francisco, which is otherwise a great city

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

When we first arrived, we had trouble finding the hostel as it's down a small dodgy alleyway. When we finally found the right road, there were a few homeless people having various needles confiscated them by the police. Made a great first impression...

Despite there being a cleaner who came in daily, the kitchen and living area was still a mess and quite dirty. When we reached our room, it was the size of a small prison cell and was crammed with 3 bunk beds which were so creaky that one guy went out and bought WD40 to oil the joints. Turning over in your sleep would wake the whole room. There was little space to put bags, and all of the lockers were already taken so we had to sleep whilst hugging our valuables.

The shower rooms were adequate, but a bit dirty and small.

It's understandable that backpackers borrow a bit here and there from others, but someone took our entire bag of food despite it being labeled and in the fridge like instructed. It doesn't sound like the end of the world, but it really was at that point. I know that's probably not the hostel's fault, but maybe they should appoint a food security manager, I would sleep better at night knowing my peanut butter was in safe hands.

Room Tip: Buy WD40 to oil your bed unless you'd like to be woken up every 3 seconds.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
San Bruno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Good place to tay, convenient location, safe al most except midnight, clean bed, room & bathroom, thanks the authority for good maintainance. Better if they add some more furnitures in rooms, plenty of natural light in room, ac was working nicely

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Braintree, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Okay first the only pro, there was pot everywhere, you'd take a step outside and there'd be a guy selling you some. so if you're into that, you won't care about the cons... But there's a few, 1) it's location is bad. In two ways; it's in a really dodgey area of San Francisco, didn't really feel safe walking alone after about 6pm and the other is it is a fairly long walk from anything you'd want to see.
2) it's very cramped and the most anti-social hostel I stayed in (maybe its just us Europeans being European)
3) there was 2 toilets on my floor, with 3/4 rooms of 6/8 people....you can see where I'm going with that one...
4) it is the dirtiest hostel I saw on my travels.....there was a real living rat in the kitchen which made numerous appearances during my stay
5) for what you get, the price is pretty steep, I know S.F is an expensive place but c'mon $150 for 4 nights to stay in a puke stained bed with a rodent?
Basically, if you have to stay here I'd suggest buying some jimi Hendrix or pink floyd records first...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

this hostel is disgusting, ive travelled devloping countries and never seen anything this bad. the room was full of people smoking weed and it smelt like feet when it didnt smell like weed. there arent enough bathrooms for the amount of people. one of the staff was extremely unhelpful - i asked him how to get somewhere and he just drew a route on a map and didnt say anything. also the location is no good - fairly far from main area and dangerous and uncomfortable at night. don't humour this hostel

san diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

a girlfriend and i stayed here in 1999. i still refer to it as the worst place i have ever stayed (as covered in other reviews: paper thin walls, disgusting bedding, people throwing up in the shared bathroom, super dodgy homeless area) and out of curiosity i looked it up on trip advisor to see if it was still around. great to see they are taking traveler reviews to heart!

put it this way... when we told the waiter at a restaurant where we were staying, he made us wait until he got off his shift so he could drive us there safely. we were so worried about our safety, we took a ride from a STRANGER rather than venture back on our own.

please don't stay here. just don't. how are they even still in business??

Room Tip: there's a holiday inn nearby
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Cheap place by San Francisco standards and it shows. I stayed here for a week with my boyfriend after traveling up the coast. We were in a tiny room with bunk beds, even though we booked a double. The room was opposite a shared bathroom and the walls were paper thin. Across the hall was a massive dorm filled with French students who spent evenings shouting at each other, slamming doors and watching movies loudly in French in the corridor and this continued into the early hours and the next morning. No air conditioning but we did have a heater that came on at random times and made our tiny room unbearable to sleep in. Window had no latch so couldnt be opened. Linen was covered in rips and stains, we both slept in our sleeping bags. Location ok for public transport but didn't feel particulary safe at night. I don't think we had any sleep for our entire stay and we planned eachday in San Francisco to stay out of the hotel. Grotty, smelly and no where near enough bathrooms for the floor. We counted 14 beds on our floor and we had two toilets and three showers. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to European Guest House? Share your experiences!