“"Welcome to hell on Earth" - Homeless man on street ....... 2013” 1 of 5 stars

You added European Guest House to your Saves list
European Guest House
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   761 Minna St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (SoMa)   |
Perth, Australia
“"Welcome to hell on Earth" - Homeless man on street ....... 2013”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Where do we start.........

We stayed here for a total of 8 hours before leaving. The sign at the reception stated that if we checked out early there was no refund, obviously they are used to people leaving this horrible, disgusting excuse for accommodation.

a) The Area.
To set the scene, walking to the hostel we saw a couple having a domestic, the area around the hostel smelt of urine and as we walk up to the door we see a burnt out car. As we approach the door we had to excuse our way through two homeless people using the door way for warmth all while avoiding the syringes on the floor. The area was noisy and unsafe. We got told by a number of people after we left that this is not a safe neighbourhood. The homeless people around this area are more 'forceful' and angry when told no, one man told us this place was hell on Earth.

b) The Hostel
The hostel is horrendous. The rooms are cramped, there are only two showers for each floor. The toilets are disgusting, there was no toilet paper and there are more things growing than I could count. The showers were horrendous, I was cleaner not having a shower in them. Only one power point worked, there were no individual lights, the curtain didn't even cover the window properly. The window didn't even shut properly.

c) The Smell
I don't know what the smell was but it was everywhere in the hostel. It was in the rooms, the beds, the bathrooms. The place smelt as bad as it looked.

Positives?
Leaving!!!

Seriously, we have stayed in hostels around the world and this has to be the worst place we have come across by far. It is like a half way hose, unsafe and unclean.

We get trying to save money but after you check out (don't get a refund) and find somewhere else you will end paying more anyway.

Just don't stay here!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

No seriously, we tried to save some money but this was not worth the fungus, dirt, lack of sleep etc. Stayed in a private room featuring nothing but a double bed with a V-shaped mattress with stained sheets, forcing my girlfriend and I to sleep on top of each other in a noisy ditch. Don't bother putting a damper on your stay in san Francisco with the nagging thought of having to return to this filth hole.

• Stayed June 2013
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Located in a really dodgy area (tour guide from a tour I did the day after I checked in literally told us to AVOID the area as it's quite unsafe!).

I checked in early in the evening, still daylight, but as a solo female traveller, I have to say I felt pretty unsafe. Once I got inside, it was very eery inside, first thing I noticed was that I was pretty much the only guest in the entire hostel! The whole place smelt like urine, could hear things moving around in the ceiling, the internet connection was appalling and there was no lockers or anything of the sort.

The decor was pretty foul as well, the stairs were rickety, the wallpaper was peeling & I wouldn't have sat on the couches if you had paid me.

The bedrooms were very small, with 4 beds crammed into one dorm.

I didn't even end up staying there - after sussing out the place, I had a really bad feeling about it so I high-tailed it out of there & immediately checked myself in at the nearer & fantastic USA Hostels. Best decision I've ever made!

There are WAY better hostels to stay at in San Francisco in better locations for better prices, with better amenities and friendlier staff!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The house is quite close to city center and among the cheapest we found in SF. The main concern is safety in the neighboring area. Roaming the nearby area in the night should be avoided for safety. The rooms were okay. Not very cleaned but okay for a short stay. The kitchen was not maintained well and cleanliness was a major problem.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Cologne, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed two weeks in a double room, which was defiantly too long. It wasn't the worst place I ever stayed at but there are some very big issues with this place, if you are only planing on staying two or three nights, its okay but any longer: Go somewhere else!!
First the good things: Friendly staff, free wi-fi not very fast but fast enough and the location is okay, good access to public transport and walking distance of the city centre. There is a supermarket near by, though not the cheapest, and while the locals will tell you that it is not a very save neighbourhood, I as woman walking around at night alone around there, never had a problem.

Negative: The biggest minus is the kitchen/common area, not only is it very dirty and there isn't enough cutlery but it is also way tooooo small. It's smaller than the kitchen in my home, not even remotely enough space for a hostel where the common room is one of the most important places. Also the fridge is tiny, again the right size for a 4 head family but not a hostel!
Next bathrooms: There are not enough!!! There are two showers on every floor. There would have to be at least 4-6 to be adequate, not to mention more toilets. You are not allowed to throw your toilet paper in the toilet, yes the used toilet paper goes in a bin next to the toilet! Which would be normal when travelling in the Middle East but not the USA. Also there is only one tiny window, which no one ever opens so obviously the walls are very mouldy and instead of doing something against the mould long term, they paint over it regularly, no joke they just paint over it every few weeks! Which just increases the not-enough-bathrooms-problem drastically.

Now there are some smaller issues but those were the biggest and most important ones. Now it honestly wasn't the worst place I ever stayed at and it is the cheapest Hostel in San Francisco, what you pay is what you get, however since SF is so expensive their prizes are still overpriced. If you just want a cheap sleep for two nights this is a good place, if your staying longer, go somewhere else!

Warning: Their listed prices don't include the city tax and a mandatory charge for the linings, so remember when you get there you will have to pay more. Also once paid you wont get your money back!!, even if you cancel several days ahead, once you paid that's it no backing out, so think hard before you pay, if you really want to stay there.

Room Tip: Top floor, better bathroom and quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

To begin with, this hostel is one of the cheapest in the city by far. As long as you go in with this knowledge, the place is honestly not bad.

Neighbourhood- SOMA has some bad areas, but where the hostel is your will mainly encounter annoyances and hinderances by homeless asking for change. It does have some funky smells here and there, just hold your breath :P. Close to public transport on Market and other streets, some cheap eats around and some eclectic shops here and there. I mainly used this as a base to sleep in and little else. Its very easy to get anywhere else in SF in not a long time

The hostel- We were in a 6 bed dorm, which was a little cramped and stuffy, but once again you get what you pay for. No trash can in the room and not much much sign of ongoing cleaning, but it wasn't filthy or smelly.

Bathrooms were cleaned once every day as far as I could tell, could probably use twice a day but it was alright. Hot water at all times, 2 bathrooms on each floor apart from top.

Kitchen was good, all the amenities there but could use a bigger fridge. Common room adjoining the kitchen was small with a couch or two and tv. Not really a party area, but people seemed to mingle in the kitchen.

Rooftop was alright, you can't see over the edge because of high walls, and nothing to sit on, but its good to grab some sun or have a smoke/beer.

WIFI was solid, always a strong signal and good speeds.

Staff were fine, didnt mingle or maintain much of a presence but were friendly enough. Gave me my linens and lent me a towel free although i had heard there was a fee for this.

All in all, were I to return to SF and have as little money as I do now I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We are at the end of a RTW trip and have stayed in many hostels and budget places all over the world. This place was by far the most expensive and the worst we have stayed in. The first room that we were given was occupied. The second, which we ended up staying in for two nights, was small and dirty. The room did not even have a trash can / rubbish bin so we had to use a plastic bag. There was no where for us to hang our towels to dry and the carpet and furniture was stained so badly it looked like the place had been used as a halfway house for homeless people.

The hostel is down an alley that is full of homeless people and smells of pee and weed.

The bed frame was too big for the mattress and was broken. Getting out of bed I nearly cut my foot on the protruding metal. The bed sheets were dirty.

To make things worse, on the last morning there was no water coming out of the 3rd floor shower and no hot water in the whole building. When I went down to complain the man at reception told me that the problem had been on-going since the day before - that someone came out but couldn't fix it. Apparently the maintenance people would be back that day but he didn't know when. He suggested that I take a cold shower downstairs as the water was working in that bathroom. When I said I wanted the name and address to write a formal complaint to the manager, he told me he did not know the managers name. After about 15 mins he finally told me the managers name was Randy but he didn't know the surname. When pressed I finally got a surname but it was very clear that he did not want me to know this information.

I would give this place a rating of 0% if this survey allowed. There were no redeeming features.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to European Guest House? Share your experiences!