“Comfortable & Convenient Inner Sunset Option” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moffatt House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Moffatt House
Save Saved
You added Moffatt House to your Saves list
1401 7th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122 (Sunset)   |
Ranked #25 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Huntington Beach, CA
“Comfortable & Convenient Inner Sunset Option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I just enjoyed a 2 night stay with friends in the 2 bedroom suite at the Moffatt House. It was well suited to our party of 3 who needed a convenient place in the Inner Sunset while visiting friends. The suite is the lowest level of the main house, and you enter directly from the street.

This is not an upscale B&B that will pamper you. It reminded me more of my grandma's house. The walls are mostly bare. The furniture was mismatched, and the carpet and paint a bit worn. But the suite was comfortable and affordable. There was plenty of space with the 2 bedrooms, living room, bath and kitchen.

You walk out the door of the suite right onto a bus stop, so it was somewhat noisy at times. My bedroom was also prone to noise from the stairway above. However, I slept well both nights. In addition to being on a bus line, it is only one block from the N Judah muni train. Irving Street is only a block way, and 9th Avenue is two blocks away. Both have a decent number of good local restaurants and bars.

The hosts are hands-off for this suite. I didn't meet them during the stay but understand Mrs. Moffatt to be very nice. Breakfast consisted of a supply of eggs, juice, yogurt and coffee left in the refrigerator. We were set apart from other guests, but that worked fine for us.

If it were my first visit to San Francisco or if I wanted a vacation destination, I would consider other options. But for our needs, it worked very well, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pacific Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Spent 2 nights there in room B while having eye surgery at UCSF. Very convenient location, lovely, light room, very clean. Mrs. Moffatt was very helpful and friendly. Bath large & spotless...sharing was not a problem. This really made our visit!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at this B&B for 10 days and we liked it v. much.My bro., his wife and infant occupied room A for the first 8days and my two sons (6 & 8) & I occupied rm. D for the first 8 days. For the last 2days we had to move to rooms B & C b'se A and D were previously booked by other guests. Our hostess warned us of the move and we were fine with it. It is a beautiful old house with a lot of charm. Some of it needs updated & the fake plants I thought took way from the charm. Our hostess miss Ruth was warm and friendly. The breakfasts were simple but filling: Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, orange juice, couple diff.kinds of bread/ pastry, Fruit, yogurt sometimes, boiled eggs sometimes, all fresh and tasty. She was nice enough to offer my boys milk every morning too. Rms A & D have private bathrooms. A's bath is updated and v. nice. D's bathrm has only shower, it is older and could use updating, but the shower is strong & we always had lots of warm water. Rm D is spacious,the quietest and has a lil balcony, my sons loved it. Even with the baby my bro. found rm. A quiet. Rms B and C share a bathroom which was kept quite clean, B and C are on the 2nd floor with A and pretty simple and clean. C does have a sink in it.They also provided us a crib for the baby. We had maid
service daily which was really nice.For the price, this place is very good. If you are looking for a luxurious stay with hot breakfast, this is not the place for you. We were visiting family in the same neighborhood and it was extremely convenient for us. I definitely recommend it. Thanks Miss Ruth!

Room Tip: For a family with children rm. D would be the best choice.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Berkeley,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We, a couple, chose Moffatt House primarily for its proximity to UCSF, where we needed to be for an 8 a.m. appointment. What a delightful surprise! Room A was perfect! Comfortable bed; the deep Jacuzzi tub for 2 looked inviting, though we didn't use it. A delicious breakfast, in the warm and cozy wood-paneled dining room, was outstanding! Moffatt House is a fabulous deal! Only recommendation is, if you're a light sleeper, to bring ear plugs; located at a corner (7th & Judah), there's a bit of traffic noise that ceased by 10:30pm and resumed around 6:45 a.m. Notable, were the two low chairs in the corner alcove overlooking the intersection. My husband, with hip problems, said the low chairs made it far easier to put on his socks & shoes. Moffat House is (uphill) walking distance (about 3-4 blocks) to the 400 Parnassus St. entrance to UCSF.

Room Tip: Parking in the area is abysmal. When you make a reservation, ask to reserve the one available parki...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

This is a terrific place to stay! For those of us on a budget, the Moffatt house is the best deal around! I have stayed there twice now because of having to visit UCSF. We stayed in room A. The room was very spacious and had a great view of the street. The traffic outside can get a little loud at times, but that should be expected when staying in any busy area in SF. As a UCSF patient, I really appreciate having a comfortable, safe, AFFORDABLE place to rest my head the night before an emotionally and physically exhausting medical appointment. Thank you Moffatt House! I will certainly come back again!

• Stayed July 2011
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I first discovered Moffatt House when our children were young: my daughter about 10 or 11, son 5 or 6 (about 1998). We stayed on the top floor in the suite. The kids loved going out on the roof, which was acceptably childproof. They adored the pigeons who would fly by. I will admit the bathroom was a bit dingy, but we hadn't traveled to San Francisco to live in the bathroom, and I didn't much care. One thing about the bed was the pillows. My first reaction to these flat little things was, wow, can they spare it? Little did I know that these were rice hull pillows. I tried them once and was addicted thereafter. These pillows offer infinitely flexible neck and shoulder support. They are hypoallergenic and last forever. When we got home I got them for all of us. The furniture was not modern, but it was clean.
Fast forward to 2009, when my daughter graduated from UC Berkeley. We had been unable to find anything even remotely affordable in Berkeley for three adults ($300+ per night), so back we came to Moffat House, one of several stays throughout the years. Obviously we like the place.
The prices are way beyond reasonable: $150 got us two double rooms, one for me and my husband, one for my son (son and daughter on previous visits). Bathrooms are shared. They are kept clean, and squeamish as I am, I never had a problem with them. The second floor bathroom is roomy, modern, and has a neat skylight. There is plentiful storage, a sitting deck, and an alarm clock. The Judah area is noisy, no doubt. There are buses and a trolley line on the street. This might be a problem for a light sleeper.
The house itself is an old Victorian, the likes of which the city is famous for. The dining room is absolutely gorgeous. There is a lovely, wide wooden staircase.
The Moffatts are accomodating and gracious. Breakfast consists of coffee or tea, a protein (cheese, egg, or yogurt) and a starch (croissant, Danish, or bread), and fruit. The food is not trendy gourmet food, but it is wholesome, tasty, and a good start to the day. There is a fruit bowl in the hall for snacks.
Be ready to climb in this b&b. There is a climb up from the street to the lobby, and a climb up to any rooms in the main house. I know nothing about the basement area, having never stayed there.
Moffatt house is located in the Inner Sunset neighborhood, a very expensive one. It is located near Golden Gate Park, lots of fabulous restaurants a walk away, the N-Judah trolley line. You can easily go carless here, probably should because parking is a blood sport.
Moffatt house is definitely recommended: very affordable with gracious hosts, clean lodgings, good solid breakfast, and accomodations for children. I think we've stayed there four times, enough of a recommendation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

The Moffatt House has exceptionally kind and knowledgable staff to assist you with your travel/vacation needs. They are ideally located in the beautiful Sunset district within walking distance to the Golden Gate Park, restaurants and shopping. My room was exceptionally comfortable, clean and well maintained. Breakfast was great. I have stayed downtown for years, but this is much more pleasant, convenient and welcoming. P.R.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Moffatt House? Share your experiences!