“Comfortable & Great for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moffatt House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Moffatt House
1401 7th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122 (Sunset)   |
Ranked #25 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“Comfortable & Great for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at this B&B for 10 days and we liked it v. much.My bro., his wife and infant occupied room A for the first 8days and my two sons (6 & 8) & I occupied rm. D for the first 8 days. For the last 2days we had to move to rooms B & C b'se A and D were previously booked by other guests. Our hostess warned us of the move and we were fine with it. It is a beautiful old house with a lot of charm. Some of it needs updated & the fake plants I thought took way from the charm. Our hostess miss Ruth was warm and friendly. The breakfasts were simple but filling: Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, orange juice, couple diff.kinds of bread/ pastry, Fruit, yogurt sometimes, boiled eggs sometimes, all fresh and tasty. She was nice enough to offer my boys milk every morning too. Rms A & D have private bathrooms. A's bath is updated and v. nice. D's bathrm has only shower, it is older and could use updating, but the shower is strong & we always had lots of warm water. Rm D is spacious,the quietest and has a lil balcony, my sons loved it. Even with the baby my bro. found rm. A quiet. Rms B and C share a bathroom which was kept quite clean, B and C are on the 2nd floor with A and pretty simple and clean. C does have a sink in it.They also provided us a crib for the baby. We had maid
service daily which was really nice.For the price, this place is very good. If you are looking for a luxurious stay with hot breakfast, this is not the place for you. We were visiting family in the same neighborhood and it was extremely convenient for us. I definitely recommend it. Thanks Miss Ruth!

Room Tip: For a family with children rm. D would be the best choice.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Berkeley,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We, a couple, chose Moffatt House primarily for its proximity to UCSF, where we needed to be for an 8 a.m. appointment. What a delightful surprise! Room A was perfect! Comfortable bed; the deep Jacuzzi tub for 2 looked inviting, though we didn't use it. A delicious breakfast, in the warm and cozy wood-paneled dining room, was outstanding! Moffatt House is a fabulous deal! Only recommendation is, if you're a light sleeper, to bring ear plugs; located at a corner (7th & Judah), there's a bit of traffic noise that ceased by 10:30pm and resumed around 6:45 a.m. Notable, were the two low chairs in the corner alcove overlooking the intersection. My husband, with hip problems, said the low chairs made it far easier to put on his socks & shoes. Moffat House is (uphill) walking distance (about 3-4 blocks) to the 400 Parnassus St. entrance to UCSF.

Room Tip: Parking in the area is abysmal. When you make a reservation, ask to reserve the one available parki...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

This is a terrific place to stay! For those of us on a budget, the Moffatt house is the best deal around! I have stayed there twice now because of having to visit UCSF. We stayed in room A. The room was very spacious and had a great view of the street. The traffic outside can get a little loud at times, but that should be expected when staying in any busy area in SF. As a UCSF patient, I really appreciate having a comfortable, safe, AFFORDABLE place to rest my head the night before an emotionally and physically exhausting medical appointment. Thank you Moffatt House! I will certainly come back again!

• Stayed July 2011
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I first discovered Moffatt House when our children were young: my daughter about 10 or 11, son 5 or 6 (about 1998). We stayed on the top floor in the suite. The kids loved going out on the roof, which was acceptably childproof. They adored the pigeons who would fly by. I will admit the bathroom was a bit dingy, but we hadn't traveled to San Francisco to live in the bathroom, and I didn't much care. One thing about the bed was the pillows. My first reaction to these flat little things was, wow, can they spare it? Little did I know that these were rice hull pillows. I tried them once and was addicted thereafter. These pillows offer infinitely flexible neck and shoulder support. They are hypoallergenic and last forever. When we got home I got them for all of us. The furniture was not modern, but it was clean.
Fast forward to 2009, when my daughter graduated from UC Berkeley. We had been unable to find anything even remotely affordable in Berkeley for three adults ($300+ per night), so back we came to Moffat House, one of several stays throughout the years. Obviously we like the place.
The prices are way beyond reasonable: $150 got us two double rooms, one for me and my husband, one for my son (son and daughter on previous visits). Bathrooms are shared. They are kept clean, and squeamish as I am, I never had a problem with them. The second floor bathroom is roomy, modern, and has a neat skylight. There is plentiful storage, a sitting deck, and an alarm clock. The Judah area is noisy, no doubt. There are buses and a trolley line on the street. This might be a problem for a light sleeper.
The house itself is an old Victorian, the likes of which the city is famous for. The dining room is absolutely gorgeous. There is a lovely, wide wooden staircase.
The Moffatts are accomodating and gracious. Breakfast consists of coffee or tea, a protein (cheese, egg, or yogurt) and a starch (croissant, Danish, or bread), and fruit. The food is not trendy gourmet food, but it is wholesome, tasty, and a good start to the day. There is a fruit bowl in the hall for snacks.
Be ready to climb in this b&b. There is a climb up from the street to the lobby, and a climb up to any rooms in the main house. I know nothing about the basement area, having never stayed there.
Moffatt house is located in the Inner Sunset neighborhood, a very expensive one. It is located near Golden Gate Park, lots of fabulous restaurants a walk away, the N-Judah trolley line. You can easily go carless here, probably should because parking is a blood sport.
Moffatt house is definitely recommended: very affordable with gracious hosts, clean lodgings, good solid breakfast, and accomodations for children. I think we've stayed there four times, enough of a recommendation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

The Moffatt House has exceptionally kind and knowledgable staff to assist you with your travel/vacation needs. They are ideally located in the beautiful Sunset district within walking distance to the Golden Gate Park, restaurants and shopping. My room was exceptionally comfortable, clean and well maintained. Breakfast was great. I have stayed downtown for years, but this is much more pleasant, convenient and welcoming. P.R.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I lived in a garage when I attended Berkeley, and it was more comfortable than the Moffatt House walk-out basement apartment suite. This is definitely not a unit for UCSF visiting scholars, faculty, staff, residents or students. The main house may be different. We did not spend any time in the main house since breakfast up there was not included in the suite rental.

The self-contained unit provides lots of space for a very modest price, so if you need to house several people and don't mind a lot of noise, the price is certainly reasonable. But beware: you get what you pay for. In this case, no peace and quiet. The muni bus stop is just outside one bedroom window, the beeping of garbage trucks can be heard at 6am twice a week, and there are plenty of talking/laughing pedestrians along Judah street, which fronts the unit. Further, the wooden grand staircase in the main house is directly above the apartment, so all the footsteps -- day or night -- can be heard from this unit. We were awakened twice in the middle of the night by loud shoes/clogs and luggage being dragged on the stairs. Furthermore, being on Judah, the unit appears to be on a road frequented by ambulances rushing to the hospital. Twice we were awakened by sirens in the dead of night. Had the unit not been literally at street level with single pane windows, perhaps the noise would have been attenuated. Lastly, the unit is rather dark since it only has windows on two sides.

Pros: spacious, convenient location for visiting Golden Gate Park, UCSF, and restaurants in Inner Sunset. The kitchen is in good condition and includes a dishwasher (but with the limited cooking utensils, plan to eat out). There is a tv in each of the two rooms. One has a basic DVD player which did not read our dvds. There was a six-serving blueberry danish, a loaf of bread, a quart of OJ, and a dozen eggs for cook-yourself breakfasts. A few days into our 5 night stay, also received 4 muffins.

Cons: NOISE, dirty wall-to-wall carpet, there is no step to the threshold, so everything from the street blows right in, frayed linens, rusty bathroom light fixtures (though this is probably the fault of the room having no window and poor ventilation), the cheapest mini blinds and "curtains" held up with 5 foot tension rods. The old nightstands were in worse condition than the typical Salvation Army item. If you have small children who might eat peeling paint, beware. Interactions with the staff varied from friendly to frosty, for unkown reasons. The windows open directly onto the street, so the window coverings did nothing to keep out the noise or the feeling that I was living on the street. If you have a car, know that parking without a resident permit is limited to 2-hours from 8am -6pm, M-F, and NOT plentiful. We usually found parking around the block. The WiFi connection did not work for our laptop.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Short walk to UCSF. On-site owners/hosts are nice on phone but very unfriendly in person. Entire house has an old, musty smell. Beds are cheap & uncomfortable. Room decor is decades old (haven't seen alarm clocks like that since the early 70's). To call this a bed & breakfast is stretch. Breakfast is a yogurt (set out in advance, mine was room temp at 8:00 am), a bran or English muffin with butter as the only condiment, and coffee or tea. House kitchen is off-limits to guests. Lower suite has full kitchen and breakfast is left there and was a little better than the breakfast in the dining room. There was a plate of coffee cake and yogurt and orange juice in the fridge. Beds in lower suite in both rooms are awful...worse than any dorm room or cheap hotel. It is also street level and very noisy with a MUNI train stop right outside the door. During my stay, there were homeless people with their loaded shopping carts hanging out on the sidewalk outside the entrance to the lower suite. Next stay was in Room D. It is on the 3rd floor and windows do not face the street with MUNI stop so it was much quieter. Main bed was okay. Twin/trundle bed absolutely horrible. Very small bathroom, no ammenities (no mini-fridge, micro, coffee pot, etc.). Nice private balcony. Moffatt House location is walking distance to Golden Gate Park with a wide variety of eating establishments along the way. Neighborhood is so-so. I felt safe walking around in daylight, taking normal precautions and sticking to the main roads. Probably not very safe after dark. A much better B&B option in this area is Inn 1890. Costs a bit more but you'll save most of the difference with their wonderful breakfast and open kitchen. You can help yourself to anything in their 24/7. It's also extremely clean & comfy with memory foam mattresses, really nice linens & comforters, sattelite TV and free local and long-distance calling.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Moffatt House? Share your experiences!