“Very Impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #166 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Lanesboro, Minnesota
“Very Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were staying in San Fran for four nights and looking for a reasonable place to stay, we hit the jackpot. The location could not have been better right on the city transportation line --walking distance to many places to eat and a very safe neighborhood. It was a pleasure to meet and speak with Bill and Ed. Our room was not quite ready when we arrived so we left the luggage and Bill saw to it - -it was taken to our room. Ed and Bill were very helpful, informative and attentive to our needs. The rooms are small but we were aware of that and it is a very clean place. When we go back to San Fran we will with out a doubt stay at the Carl Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Pine Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I was recommended by UCSF on Parnassus St. to stay nearby at the Carl Hotel. It is a very nice, quiet,older building less than 4 blocks from UCSF. It is in a very nice neighborhood. Restaraunts are a few blocks away, and as a single woman I felt very comfortable walking those few blocks alone in the evening.

Yes, the rooms are small, but very clean. Since I was at UCSF all day room size did not matter. There was a small refr. and microwave in the room. I brought ear plugs with me concerning some of the reviews about the elec.busses that do pass by every few minutes but I didn't need them. I guess it depends if you are a light sleeper or not.

There is also a patio area accessed only by a buzzer or from inside the hotel.

Management was so kind. The friend I had been visiting at UCSF passed away. I was not charged for leaving earlier than my original time, and was given additional time past check out.
time.

The only downside to staying at the Carl or anywhere apparently is Parking. That was awful. But I guess that is the problem of all of San Francisco. As a country girl I was very frustrated..
All in all though a great place to stay!!

Room Tip: If at all possible, bring your own parking!!! LOL
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Pros: This place has a great location, particularly if you have an medical appointment at UCSF. There are tons of restaurants and a couple laundromats nearby. It is clean. Great water pressure in the shower. A stay here provides a unique and memorable experience. If you are low budget and easy going, it would be fine.
Cons: The train which runs alongside the hotel is extremely noisy and can create a major problem when you are trying to fall or stay asleep. I was surprised that our room was about 6 feet wide and 20 feet long. With her arms extended my roommate could almost touch the parallel walls! The television was the type you'd find in a kitchen - about 8 inches by 8 inches. There was no clock in the room. 50% of the light bulbs in the overhead chandelier were missing. 50% of the front desk staff was not warm and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Riverbank, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend was in the ICU at UCSF and this hotel was on the list of recommended hotels by UCSF. The first night I was supposed to stay at the hotel but my boyfriend ended up being placed in the ICU and I needed to stay. I called the hotel to cancel and of course I was charges anyways for the night which I understood because it was late in the evening. The next night I stayed, asked if I could recoup some of the money from the night before because I was staying again and was told no. The following morning I was told that my boyfriend would be in the ICU for another night so I asked them to hold a room for me. About two o'clock in the afternoon, I learned that my boyfriend was going to b transferred from the ICU to a room and called to cancel. I was told that I had to cancel before 11 am and was charged the full amount again. This hotel is recommended by UCSF but they are not understanding or considerate about the needs of these types of clients! I was charged $180 and didn't even stay in the room.

• Stayed March 2014
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed here Feb. 14, 2014 and I'd already read other reviews so knew what to expect. It's an older place, but located in an excellent neighborhood (Cole neighborhood) and close to absolutely everything. The front desk person was amazing, friendly and very helpful. Just loved him. The room was clean and the bed super comfortable. My only thoughts were that if it were my place I'd do the small repairs necessary to make it really nice......and the repairs would cost literally pennies. The lamp near the bed needed to be replaced. The bulb was out when I got there and the whole fixture was super rickity. The toilet seat was super loose, the toilet paper holder about to fall off the wall. The sink faucet needed replacing. Tiny, tiny things that were more annoying than anything. Other than that it was just great.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor because of a medical situation, but the trains run literally feet from...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Colfax, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Tiny rooms? Yep. Old and Dated? Yep. Noisy Muni train out front? Yep.
But......if your looking for an inexpensive, quaint, very clean hotel in a great, safe neighborhood, here you go!
We were in The City for Hardly Strictly and a Niners game. Since rooms that weekend are hard to come by, I expanded my criteria quite a bit. I haven't stayed in a room like this in 30 years! The first night we had a room with 2 twins and the second, a twin and a full. Hint.. a queen will not fit in the room! We both slept well as the double paned windows do a decent job of keeping the noise down. If you're a very light sleeper have an extra nightcap as it can get a bit noisy!
I parked the car Friday evening a half block away and we didn't get back in it till we left Sunday afternoon. Of course public transit is literally out the front door to take you anywhere and there is a Walgreens and a few small markets a block away.

We walked a couple of blocks to grab coffee in the morning and have dinner at a couple of the nearby restaurants (Kezar Bar and Restaurant and Zazie), both excellant. Haight Ashbury and Golden Gate Park are a short walk away too! We always felt safe walking in the area at night.

We had a great time "living the city life" for a few days. Usually we'll stay at a large chain hotel and drive back and forth to whatever event we're in The City for. This way we discovered a very cool neighborhood! If the Marriot is your lower standard, don't go here. But if you want to venture "back in time" check it out!

Room Tip: Not sure if there are rooms not fronting Carl St. If so, I'm sure they'd be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed in San Fran without any transportation and the Carl Hotel is right on the muni bus line which was in credibly convenient. It's also conveniently located near the golden gate bridge park as well as the Haight district - both within walking distance. Sure, being on the bus line it can get a little loud, but that didn't bother us, we even slpet with the window open for a nice breeze at night =)

About the hotel: it's an older building so don't expect anything to be up to date. The rooms are small, ours had a full bed and the sink int he room with a tiny room bathroom, a mini fridge and an old (tiny) tv, but had cable. The desk staff is friendly and helpful and you are within blocks of several amazing breakfasts places (crepes and french inspired). All in all we recommend the Carl Hotel, just so long as you have an open mind, don't like shelling out loads of money and don't mind the convenience of being on the bus line =)

Room Tip: Higher the floor the lower the noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Carl Hotel? Share your experiences!