“Inconsiderate” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
You added Carl Hotel to your Saves list
198 Carl St, San Francisco, CA 94117   |
Ranked #170 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Riverbank, California
“Inconsiderate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

My boyfriend was in the ICU at UCSF and this hotel was on the list of recommended hotels by UCSF. The first night I was supposed to stay at the hotel but my boyfriend ended up being placed in the ICU and I needed to stay. I called the hotel to cancel and of course I was charges anyways for the night which I understood because it was late in the evening. The next night I stayed, asked if I could recoup some of the money from the night before because I was staying again and was told no. The following morning I was told that my boyfriend would be in the ICU for another night so I asked them to hold a room for me. About two o'clock in the afternoon, I learned that my boyfriend was going to b transferred from the ICU to a room and called to cancel. I was told that I had to cancel before 11 am and was charged the full amount again. This hotel is recommended by UCSF but they are not understanding or considerate about the needs of these types of clients! I was charged $180 and didn't even stay in the room.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank JS1928

Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed here Feb. 14, 2014 and I'd already read other reviews so knew what to expect. It's an older place, but located in an excellent neighborhood (Cole neighborhood) and close to absolutely everything. The front desk person was amazing, friendly and very helpful. Just loved him. The room was clean and the bed super comfortable. My only thoughts were that if it were my place I'd do the small repairs necessary to make it really nice......and the repairs would cost literally pennies. The lamp near the bed needed to be replaced. The bulb was out when I got there and the whole fixture was super rickity. The toilet seat was super loose, the toilet paper holder about to fall off the wall. The sink faucet needed replacing. Tiny, tiny things that were more annoying than anything. Other than that it was just great.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor because of a medical situation, but the trains run literally feet from...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JRedding53
Colfax, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Tiny rooms? Yep. Old and Dated? Yep. Noisy Muni train out front? Yep.
But......if your looking for an inexpensive, quaint, very clean hotel in a great, safe neighborhood, here you go!
We were in The City for Hardly Strictly and a Niners game. Since rooms that weekend are hard to come by, I expanded my criteria quite a bit. I haven't stayed in a room like this in 30 years! The first night we had a room with 2 twins and the second, a twin and a full. Hint.. a queen will not fit in the room! We both slept well as the double paned windows do a decent job of keeping the noise down. If you're a very light sleeper have an extra nightcap as it can get a bit noisy!
I parked the car Friday evening a half block away and we didn't get back in it till we left Sunday afternoon. Of course public transit is literally out the front door to take you anywhere and there is a Walgreens and a few small markets a block away.

We walked a couple of blocks to grab coffee in the morning and have dinner at a couple of the nearby restaurants (Kezar Bar and Restaurant and Zazie), both excellant. Haight Ashbury and Golden Gate Park are a short walk away too! We always felt safe walking in the area at night.

We had a great time "living the city life" for a few days. Usually we'll stay at a large chain hotel and drive back and forth to whatever event we're in The City for. This way we discovered a very cool neighborhood! If the Marriot is your lower standard, don't go here. But if you want to venture "back in time" check it out!

Room Tip: Not sure if there are rooms not fronting Carl St. If so, I'm sure they'd be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kelgee
Columbia, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed in San Fran without any transportation and the Carl Hotel is right on the muni bus line which was in credibly convenient. It's also conveniently located near the golden gate bridge park as well as the Haight district - both within walking distance. Sure, being on the bus line it can get a little loud, but that didn't bother us, we even slpet with the window open for a nice breeze at night =)

About the hotel: it's an older building so don't expect anything to be up to date. The rooms are small, ours had a full bed and the sink int he room with a tiny room bathroom, a mini fridge and an old (tiny) tv, but had cable. The desk staff is friendly and helpful and you are within blocks of several amazing breakfasts places (crepes and french inspired). All in all we recommend the Carl Hotel, just so long as you have an open mind, don't like shelling out loads of money and don't mind the convenience of being on the bus line =)

Room Tip: Higher the floor the lower the noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Johanna B
Richmond, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotel is very dated; room is extremely small; sink is in the bedroom, separated from bathroom. Our room is on the second floor, facing the street. With all the traffic and muni train outside, it is extremely noisy.

Location, location, location. It is very close to UCSF - probably the only advantage for staying here when you visit someone at the hospital.

Service is courteous. I was able to cancel one night stay with 24 hour notice without fee.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the building if you wish to have some sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank nobodyinrichmond

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I think this is not worth 3 whole stars, but it is in a great location and it was clean, but very dated and noisy. Almost worse than the outside traffic is the noise from the bathroom vent! The vent went on automatically with the bathroom light, and the light switch was on a wall 3 feet away from the bathroom door. It's fine if you are by yourself or if you don't have to use the bathroom at night!
Probably the three best things about the Carl are the price, the location and free wi-fi! We walked a lot: to all the attractions in the Golden Gate Park, the Haight-Ashbury area, and "restaurant row" on 9th St.
There was adequate drawer space for a short stay, but hanging clothes went on a rack on the wall. The bed was comfortable.
Not sure if we'd go back. Oh, no internet from the office; could not communicate with them beforehand except by phone, so no written confirmation. Also unable to print out boarding passes before leaving for the airport.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms face the street. I would not like to be in the room directly at the top of the f...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
hanford, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I thought I would be able to tolerate the noise since I once lived off the same street years ago. Wrong. The Muni was noisier than I recall. I highly recommend ear plugs (or something stronger).

Mostly clean. Dated. Seems safe. Serves the purpose.

It was $110 here or $350+ at the Courtyard Marriott. Hmm. Extra change in the wallet means more fun money in SF. Not a hard decision to make.

If your visit involves UCSF or you would rather have spare cash in your pocket and spend little time in your room, grab some ear plugs and make a reservation.

The location is good. Walking distance to Golden Gate Park. Walking distance to coffee shops and dining in Cole Valley. Walking distance to the Haight...if that is your thing. Jump on the N-Judah and head downtown for $2 (although I think there is a rate hike in the near future).

Not a dream hotel, but it works.

Room Tip: Room 218 would be my choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family