I came here because of it's good review on TripAdvisor and for the price. SF hotels are not cheap.
Stayed here in a double room for one night in December. It is a youth hostel with lots of travelers from all over the world. Big time hippie, nomadic vibes. This is really not my scene, but it was a fun thing to experience. The room was fine, but we were freezing throughout the night because we didn't see a sign about the thermostat. Ack.
Dinner and breakfast were free and an interesting experience. Taked to people from Italy, Australia, England, and France who were traveling around the globe.
The location is cool. At first, I freaked, because it is filled with Strip clubs, so I assumed it would be dangerous for a woman. However, that was not the case. The hostel is near a lot of great landmarks and interesting areas: financial district, Little Italy, Chinatown, Russian Hill, Lombard Street, Vesuvio, City Lights Bookstore, Vesuvio. We walked around a lot. At noght, there are some funny bars in the area.
Very good for the price.
If you are a single traveler, this place is great. Seems like they organize lots of tours and pub crawls for free, so you have the opportunity to meet many people.
- Also Known As:
- Green Tortoise Hostel - San Francisco Hotel
- Green Tortoise Hostel - San Francisco Hotel San Francisco
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Green Tortoise San Francisco hostel is a full service, fun, comfortable, and welcoming hostel. Located in the North Beach area (Little Italy), famous for entertainment, bookstores, and Beat Generation history. The hostel is close to Chinatown, Fisherman’s Wharf, and public transportation that can take you all over the Bay Area. We are a PARTY hostel, so come and be included in our social events held nightly. Lots of Freebies, breakfast, dinner 3 x a week, wifi, sauna, massage chair and lots lots more! We are also famous for our "hostel on wheels" sleeper coach adventures that offer tours to many exciting destinations seasonally - Alaska, Canyons of the West, California Coastal Crawler, Yosemite, Death Valley, Cross country trips, Baja, as well as Burningman and the Oregon Country Fair. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Green Tortoise Hostel - San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.