“Horror hostel” 1 of 5 stars

70 Derby Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Horror hostel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have been here 2 weeks ago and the hostel was horrible!! The staff is strange and the hostel itself stinks. If u planning to visit san Francisco u better book a hostel beforehand. If not, u will end up here. It seems that the staff doesnt care about all the negative reviews. Due the lack of hostels in san fran they are packed anyway.

Back to the review. As soon as I walked in, I allready regret my booking. allthough it was just for 1 night. The black guy at the frontdesk was unfriendly. A women asked for 2 towels and the guy just shouted to her that it was unpossible to get 2 towels. Frontdesk is open till 11pm but around 1am one of the staffmembers came in and seems to be drunk and took place at the frontdesk. I felt unconfortable and went to my room.

The room stinks, the matrass and pillow are dirty. The blanket is brown and stinks too. U get clean linnen and sheets from the frontdesk but u will smell the matrass and blanket anyway. I checked the brown matrass on bedwants but I didn't find them. As soon I was sleeping my body started itching everywhere.

I didn't took the breakfast. Dirty hostel = dirty breakfast,. Avoid this dump, just book beforehand your hostels in san francisco and u won't find any problems.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

like: Location is awesome. price is ok...

DISLIKE: The staff was terrible unfriendly. the hostel was freezing cold. the bathrooms super super dirty, breakfast is a joke and bedrooms a super tiny. better spend a bit more and go to the neighbour.
and on the price comes 2$ per person plus 15% tax. so it's a rip off.

Room Tip: don't book it here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Myself and a good friend of mine arrived back in San Fran after a few good nites in Vegas. Next day we were flying back 2 Ireland so we just needed 2 chill out and get sum last minute presents etc.

After arriving at the union square hostel, we soon realized we were in the wrong place for us!

Chaos is all that can be said for what we encountered. To cut a long story short, we waited for 40 mins watching the employee staring at a computer screen blankly only to be told they were over booked.

I was at the end of my tether at this stage but thank god going by the reviews I have read since. I would advise booking some of the many excellent budget accomodation well in advance, stay clear of this place if u have any sense!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Why cant i choose a score of 0?
Please dont stay here. One of the girls im travelling with got bed bug bites and the room stunk. We checked in on time and they had no linen ready for us and they moved people out of room in front of us so we could stay in there. The blankets werent washed, only the brown stained sheets. The pillows were also brown and stained. I nearly cried when i had to stay here. The kitchen was a hole in the wall piled with filthy dishes. There was free breakfast but i didnt eat it.
The staff were CREEPY. And there was holes in the walls. In the bathrooms there was supposed to be privacy blurred out glass but it had been replaced with regular clear glass. Staff were smoking outside and could see in. Gross. There was also some weird shack thing near our room where staff went to smoke weed. We had our windows open and all this weed smoke came in.
They said they had wireless but i could never connect.
Dont stay here. Try the hostelling international downtown or city center or fishermans warf, or a hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed one night after a tour, stayed in hostels around the world & this is by far the worst I've ever seen! The mattresses are very old & stained brown, they look like they were thrown out onto the street & picked up by the hostel. Sheets are vile, luckily had sleeping bag & own pillow. Bathroom had a blocked toilet.
Would never ever go back there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Terribly bad experience, the hostel was so durty that we prefered to used public bathrooms instead of the hostels facilities. We couldn't sleep at all because a bunch of drunk people were shouting all nigh and when we woke up the durty alley was covered with puke.
They charged us an extra and we end up paying like a regular hotel.
It was a nightmare.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Arriving in San Francisco to view the famous Bluegrass festival with three friends for one night, we expected a quick and easy bag drop-off before venturing out to the town, and returning for one easy night of sleep. Wrong. So wrong. We arrived hopeful at the hostel at around 1pm: the location in itself reminded me especially of the establishing scene in an awful teen-slasher. Down a 'back alley' and accompanied by flies and the occasional homeless person (not surprising: it's San Francisco), the hostel looked more dingey than welcoming. However, we're students. Firstly, there was absolutely noone at the welcome desk, and after half an hour of waiting, a resident of the hostel who said he'd lived there for a 'while' told us the boss wouldn't be more than ten minutes. Half an hour after that and we decided we'd leave for a while in favour of some American Grub. When we'd returned from eating (where we were served politely, quickly and efficiently: maybe the hostel should learn from its neighbouring restaurants) there was still not one person sitting at the desk. Oh no, I lie. There was a resident of the hostel, cleaning, sitting in the chair. He told us we could not stay because the room had been sold, and when you book on the system it does not tell you that the rooms have been booked, it just goes straight through to the desk. A piece of paper with our name scratched through told us we didn't have a place to stay, and as I was angry I'd have to carry all my belongings on my back the entire day, and that I had nowhere to sleep that night, slight relief came over me in that I wouldn't have to try to wrap myself in my own clothing and sleep with one I open: the place gave off that sort of vibe. Worst part was the 'boss' never even showed his face. This cleaner man went upstairs, said he'd spoken to the boss, and said we couldn't say. He also told us "you can still write a review". Thanks for the permission. I learned that the earlier you book, the better chance you have of actually having a room to stay in, and that we're lucky we'd only driven from Santa Cruz, and not been travelling thousands of miles to rely on that hostel. We ended up going home that night. If you're desperate to stay here, book in advance. And I mean way in advance. Maybe, years?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Union Square Backpacker's Hostel? Share your experiences!