“indoor camping” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #223 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“indoor camping”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

There were no screens on the windows (one at each end of the room), no air conditioner or fans, no toilet paper, no toilet paper holder, no towel rack and no bathroom mirror. The tub was equipped with a shower nozzle but no way to direct the water to the nozzle. Towels were the size of postage stamps and were stiff rather that soft. There was no wi-fi as advertised but the room seemed clean enough. With the windows open it was quite noisy and the street cleaners (imagine vacuums the size of trash trucks) begin as early as 6am. At $149.00 + tax it was the most expensive camping experience we've ever had.

• Stayed September 2010

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Hotel Tropicana is great for a young person on a budget.

Most inexpensive hotels in San Francisco are in undesirable, touristy, dangerous, and characterless parts of the city (e.g. Tenderloin, Civic Center, etc). Hotel Tropicana, though, is located right in the center of one of SF's youngest and trendiest neighborhoods: Mission Dolores. Just a block away on 18th st are some of SF's hip health food hotspots like Bi-Rite Creamery, Delfina, and Tartine. It's also 2 blocks from Dolores Park, which has become a sort of hipster haven. Also, it's 2 blocks from the 16th st Bart stop, meaning that you can get to most parts of town in just a few minutes. Valencia St. has just been redone and turned into a pedestrian-friendly corridor; it's becoming a magnet for lots of furniture stores, clothes shops, antique outlets, and restaurants.

While the location is great--especially for a young person--I will say that the amenities at the hotel are very spartan. My room was not cleaned during my week-long stay, although it was very clean when I arrived. If you go for the really cheap rooms, then you'll be sharing a bathroom. But, at half the price of a typical SF budget hotel, I'm not complaining.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I was a little wary about booking this place after reading some of the reviews but it was literally the ONLY place in the whole city that had a Saturday Night vacancy the night before! We got there and we were pleasntly suprised! The room was nice and clean, cable tv, microwave and fridge and clean modern bathroom. And it only cost us $80 including tax. Its not 5* but its definitely a good place to stay in the City if your on a budget! Lets face it, you don't really spend much time in your room anyway!
This isn't a traditional hotel, its more of a long term room rental with people staying for weeks/months rather than days which is why it doesn't exactly have hotel service. It is run by an Indian or Pakistani family who are actually very nice if you are nice to them!
I would definitely recommend this place as a clean safe base camp for exploring the city!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

I've stayed at the Tropicana a few times, most recently with a whole bunch of other girls on our way back from Burning Man festival. The hotel is run by an Indian (?) family and is clean and very safe. The owners are very accomodating and even though they can come across a bit gruff sometimes, are actually very friendly and flexible.

The rooms are basic but they have a fridge, microwave and TV. There's free wireless Internet (a bit on and off sometimes, but free) plus a free computer to use in the hall. The reception area is a part of the owners' flat, which does indeed smell like Indian food like some people on here said (which is fine for me, but apparently not for others). The rooms themselves, though, while being rather warm and lacking in air conditioning, do not smell of anything.
It's not the cheapest place in the area, but knowing how horrible some of the places around Mission are, the Tropicana more than makes up for it. We were 4 in a room at one point which worked out about the same as a room in a hostel.
All in all, if you want to be right in the Mission district for all the bars, etc. this is a good value, no frills hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Whenever I come to San Francisco, I stay at the Tropicana. I have come for Spring Break, Xmas and even to go to summer school. The family is very warm and friendly. Fatima is a great cook and even fed me when I was studying. I have stayed on every floor in the front and in the back. Once when some European girls were keeping me up talking on the back porch, I told Fatima and the next night I could sleep. The staff is very nice and the place is kept clean and painted. You can go down to the restaurant and get hot water for your tea or coffee when it is open.
The restuarant is good.....ESPECIALLY the somosas and MANGO Lasse, which they would NOT give me the recipe. The location is great and I have never had a problem. In fact, last summer I was there 6 weeks and they even let me study in the restaurant.
I love it and I love that the family works so hard! I could never work that hard!!!

Jillina Arrigo-Pope

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
abbotsford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

This is just a warning to all travelers! Even if you have a reservation, it doesnt count. My party of four reserved two rooms with two beds. One of our rooms was given away without notice. We contacted them three times to confirm our bookings. All was good until we arrived. We found out that they only booked us one room with two beds.

Then to make matters more interesting, we were charged full amount for two rooms. We tried talking to the staff there, however we were told to go elsewhere if we didnt like the service. Travelers beware of this place!

• Liked — it was clean
  • Disliked — it was expensive
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

If you're in dire need of a place to lay your head, and you're REALLY trying to save some cash (even though its way too expensive for what you're getting) then the Tropicana is the place...

But, if you're looking for a pleasurable, clean, trouble-free experience, look elsewhere...

The rooms are grimy, the hotel smells like a blend of rotting Arabic food and a nursing home and the service is absolutely appalling.

I got to my room and noticed there wasn't any clean towels. So, like most, I proceeded to ask the manager if I may have some clean towels. She called me a liar, saying the towels in my room are clean. I guess clean towels have brown, moist spots all over them???

The owners of the this hotel our flat out mean. They treat you like they hate the fact that you're staying at their hotel.

Also, I slept in all my clothes. Filthy place.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Tropica? Share your experiences!