“What an oasis of a property in San Francisco!” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #50 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“What an oasis of a property in San Francisco!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Service is top notch. More on par with a AAA 5-diamond property and surpassed our expectations. Brought my family with 2 boys ages 12 and 10. Scott, the concierge, personally reached out to us with an email and his knowledge of the property and the city was fantastic. The Green Room had a great menu for breakfast and we tried many things off the menu including the Stuffed French Toast, Pumpkin Pancake, and the Frittata. The room was more spacious that we expected for the price in a metropolitan downtown area. The location is very convenient to Union Square shopping, MUNI, BART, and the cable car....all within a 10 minute walk. The room looked newly renovated and comfortable for a family of 4. We will definitely be staying here again on our next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Madison, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I booked a vacation stay in SF using my Marriott points - we were originally going to book a lower category hotel to use less points and some free nights, but decided to "splurge" on this higher category Autograph Collection hotel. I regret using those points unfortunately - the quality of hotel and amenities was not as good as standard business Marriotts. It just looked so much better in the photos!
We were given an "accessible" room which other reviews have mentioned weren't great - so to be fair, other room types may be nicer quality. It felt half-finished - the purple and green art deco updates to the decor were very nice - love that it's not a standard neutral scheme. But the rest of the walls without wallpaper and the ceiling were crumbling popcorn and showed a lot of wear and tear. There were cracks and black scuffs througout, and the carpet was pretty dingy. The bathroom was very outdated other than the sink, though that's obviously not a major issue. Bed was standard, and overall the room was clean other than noted above. The room was very quiet for downtown, but faced a wall so... quiet at the expense of a view?
The service was OK - greeted with a smile sometimes, didn't make use of too much of the other services to comment on that.
We didn't eat or get drinks at the in-hotel restaurant/bar as it was too expensive, but they looked like nice places to eat/drink.
The location was good for access to BART and the MUNI system - we could get anywhere pretty easily. There's a strip of very high-end shopping nearby and a handful of restaurants, but other than that not too much in the vicinity. Some other reviewers mentioned the neighborhood - it's not the safest or cleanest area but fine during the day (though one afternoon we had to step around a person passed out in vomit next to the hotel door). Walk toward Powell St on Geary rather than the other direction if you're going to catch transportation or look for restaurants.
Generally, it's fine for a homebase to explore the city or for business travel, but if you're looking for something a bit more romantic or upscale, this may be disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Adagio_Mgr, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear RoxyRMR,
Thank you very much for your feedback – very glad to hear that you enjoyed the décor and that our staff was friendly and welcoming! As you noted in your review we are a downtown (historic) property, built in 1929, and with that we do have a varied amount of room types – I’m sorry to hear that your room was less than desired.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact us directly to provide us with further information on the location of your room, so that we may immediately follow up on the details described in your review. Thank you for bringing the issues to our attention. We certainly hope that you will change your mind and return to Hotel Adagio. We want to win you back and WOW you on your next visit!

Please contact me or my Front Office Manager, Patricia, directly at the hotel 415.775.5000 to discuss the issues that you experienced.

Warmest Regards,
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed in this hotel the first weekend in April. This was my first time in the San Francisco area and I was not too familiar with the city. We went to run a half marathon so we wanted to stay near the finish line. The hotel is not too far from the Powell Bart station and we we able to get to and from the hotel using public transportation easily. The hotel itself is pretty small as are the rooms but the staff was nice and helpful. We ate breakfast every morning in the restaurant which was nice but also small. My biggest complaint with the hotel would be the location. The hotel is located in a neighborhood with a lot of homeless people around. I was at the hotel with my wife and infant daughter and we left the hotel very early in the morning and came back very late at night. I did not feel comfortable with all the homeless people around and we even saw some guy shooting up about a block from the hotel. I don't think I would go back to this hotel with my family because of the neighborhood. We cold have stayed a few blocks further for the same price and been in a a better neighborhood.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Besim T,
Thank you very much for your feedback – very glad to hear that our staff was friendly and welcoming throughout your stay!

As you noted we are in a prime location of downtown near Union Square and many other attractions allows our guests the convenience of walking or taking public transportation to visit so many exciting sites our city has to offer. Please know that our hotel and direct area surrounding our hotel is certainly safe.

Thank you for your time in giving us and others your thoughts and opinions. We are hopeful that you will return to our hotel and will experience great service on your next visit.

Warmest Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Great location in union square, helpful staff, modern, clean hotel. Lobby has water with fresh fruit infused and cool bar. I recommend getting the breakfast with crab, egg and hash brown in a bowl its amazing. The waffle/pancake I saw someone else have look delicious.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Adagio_Mgr, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Pete A - Thank you so much for your five-star rating! We here at the Hotel Adagio strive for excellence and appreciate your positive feedback. We hope to continue “WoW”ing you in the near future!

Best,
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This was our first time staying at the Hotel Adagio and will definitely be returning.

The building (built 1920s); the decorations, the original craft work and even, the piped in music, are a step back in time.

The room, we accommodated, was large and nicely appointed. The only drawback, (which I did mention to the front desk, upon departing) is the sliding, wood, bathroom door is VERY uncomfortable. I suggested they switch it out for an easier, frosted glass, pocket door. (I hope they look into this, as this door was very hard to maneuver!).

We ate at the "Green Room" for breakfast on two occasions. Luis, the cook, is OUTSTANDING!!!!! The service was impeccable. I have had the fortune to dine at Michelin rated restaurants, and The Green Room's service is on par. The Green Room's menu selection is not your typical fare. They start you of with a complimentary fresh juiced smoothie. On our stay, they offered us fresh strawberry jam, which was fantastic (and I don't even use jam on my toast).

The Hotel Adagio has a quaint bar attached, Mortimer's, which we experienced. We ended a sight seeing San Francisco day of adventure, with a beautiful glass of wine and a cheese selection. The bartender was so knowledgeable and friendly. I would say" she brought her mixology game!:

Suffice to say, we will be making The Hotel Adagio our "go to" hotel in the very near future,

Thank you, all, for making our stay so memorable!!!!!

Green Features: We partcipated in the Hotel Adagio's "Green Program" and did not have maid service.
Dear Positive Poster,

Thank you so much for your positive post! Your review was very flattering and literally had our food and beverage director jumping up and down! The Green Room and its staff were very humbled by your kind words as they have been working very hard on service and quality. We here at the Hotel Adagio really do appreciate every bit of feedback and are excited to be your “go to” hotel in the future!

See you soon!!

Best,
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I needed to secure a room block at a hotel in San Francisco for my team for a conference we were attending in March. Hotel Adagio was the hotel I ended up choosing because right from the start they were able to meet all of our initial requirements - great rate with WIFi and breakfast included.

From the moment I began working with the hotel's staff on the planning process, to the closing of our program, everyone provided excellent service - Monyrith King, Eric Horen, Rebecca Im, and Eva Hu, were all great! Not only was all of the staff very pleasant and friendly, what I appreciate most is the responsiveness of the team to any of our concerns.

When I arrived at the hotel, the check-in process went smoothly and they were able to accommodate my early arrival. The hotel is beautifully decorated inside. Since this is a boutique hotel, it has a lot of character. It doesn't look like your typical chain hotel. The rooms are clean and decent in size. My colleagues and I very much enjoyed the hotel, especially the bar. The staff was very attentive and friendly. You will have to try the truffle fries at the bar. Delicious!

The hotel is located within walking distance to several restaurants and great shopping. If you need to grab a cab to get to other areas of the City, the staff will help you flag one down.

Overall, if you needed a hotel for business or pleasure, Hotel Adagio is a great choice. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Francisco.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear cjnepo79,

First of all we here at the Hotel Adagio would like to extend our warmest thanks to you and your staff for staying with us. Our top notch sales staff are pro’s at accommodating convention goer’s like you and your team. Their service first attitude is what drives return business and keeps a team like yours coming back time and time again. Your five star rating is what we strive for and is very much appreciated. We hope to have you and your team back anytime in the future for business or pleasure!

Warm Regards,
Ventura, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Cool botique hotel, great staff were the plusses. Plugged toilet, slow sink, gym equipment not working and a door that didn't want to lock/unlock properly really made for a frustrating first 3 days (of 6) of my stay. Also, my first day, housekeeping forgot my room entirely. All issues were promptly solved and didn't resurface, so that was good, but at $400/night, I would expect not to have any issues at all. Valiant effort Marriott, but you just kept missing the mark.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear cohe9801 – thank you for the feedback.

I’m very sorry that we didn’t make your stay perfect – we’re always looking for our improvements – so thank you! Again, our improvements are being made daily. If you have anything that you’d like to discuss over the phone, please call me or my Front Office Manager, Patricia, at the hotel directly.

Yet again, we love feedback so thank you for yours!

Warm Regards,
Michael Pace

Been to Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!