“Great Spot, Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #48 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great Spot, Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We found the hotel because it had a great price for the night that we needed it. We loved that great spot that it was in as well being right by the amazing shopping and such. They had a great breakfast as well. I noticed one of the previous reviewers said there was too much street noise. I had no such issue, they have two exterior windows to help shield the noise and made it a peaceful retreat from the street. I would definitely return here the next time I am in the city by the bay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WarmRegards, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Ryan B,

Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review on your enjoyable experience at Hotel Adagio. We are very happy to hear of your comfortable and peaceful retreat while staying with us. It's also great to learn that you will definitely return to our San Francisco hotel the next time you're in town. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you and your family as our guests again.

Kind Regards,

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The hotel is conveniently based just around the corner from Union Square and the room was generally of a good size and quality.

The issue we had with the hotel was the service and room cleaning. We had booked for four nights and the room was lacking a hairdryer, but his was quickly supplied on a call to reception. After the first night our room was cleaned (beds made and towels replaced etc), but for our remaining stay this was not done. We had to request replacement towels and when we requested the room to be cleaned, we were promised this would be done and left the hotel to provide them the time to carry out the emptying of bins and the beds to be made up. However, we returned to find that all that had happened was that towels had been placed on the unmade beds.

Another issue we had was we returned from sightseeing on our last day of our stay to find that our room keys did not work and the reception staff stating that we had only booked for three nights not four. This was despite us having a pre-paid booking document stating the room was for four nights. They used this as an excuse for the non existent maid service, but still did not have the beds made or bins emptied etc.

Although not the end of the world, these issues certainly took the shine off our first visit to San Francisco and the USA.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear colin g,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Adagio. We regret that our miscommunication and housekeeping error took the shine off of your first visit to San Francisco. Please accept our apologies. We have discussed your comments with our Executive Housekeeping Manager and have addressed our housekeeping staff. Although, our logs do show an error of a three night stay, there is no excuse for this level of performance at any point during your experience with us. Thank you for taking our location of our hotel and the quality and size of our rooms into consideration when reviewing our property. We do hope that you and your family will decide to give us the chance to deliver an improved stay on your next visit our exciting city.

Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have stayed at most of the Marriott hotels in San Francisco over the last two years. We were looking forward to trying the Hotel Adagio for a 7 night stay. It will definitely not be among our top choices in the future, unless management gets its act together.
Rooms: very nice size. Windows open - but street noise is heavy. Bathroom ceiling vent - gross. Dirty, paint peeling etc.
Housekeeping: staff is lovely and helpful - but they have clearly not been trained well. Towel replacement is spotty, amenities not replaced (and very basic), no evening turndown or housekeeping in the evening
Front desk: Whitney is the bright spot. She was there for the hotel remodel, apparently, and the transition to the Marriott's Autograph Collection. Very helpful and knowledgeable. The others - - either need more training or more experience.
Total confusion over breakfast vouchers. Restaurant staff very insulting ("we will let you get away with ordering from the voucher this time"???? - until we told them we were given vouchers for a Continental Breakfast, no one knew what that was - not on the menu - or the price. They did change the menu after we asked about it.
Dining room - VERY DIRTY. We were seated in a corner and it was quite obvious that it has not been vacuumed for some time. Not pleasant to eat amidst the dirt. Servers were nice, other than the one who insulted us.

Coffee/tea service - very nice in back of lobby
water supposed to be out 24 hours - it wasn't
tried to eat in restaurant bar at 4:05pm (opening time is 4pm) Told that they had to check whether kitchen was ready (???) - food was great - but quite a hassle to order.

Location - OK - surrounded by pretty sketchy area - but very convenient
Concierge - tried to be helpful - not particularly knowledgeable and no follow-up - but Whitney at front desk had excellent restaurant suggestions

Sincerely hope management gets its act together and makes this a hotel that we will want to stay at again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear squishytiger,

I am sincerely sorry that you had this experience at our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to bring your valued insight to my attention, as I have taken your comments seriously and immediately followed up on our shortcomings. Be assured that your comfort is our top priority and, again, I apologize that your stay was not up to the standards you have come to expect from us. Thank you for your continued patronage at Marriott brand hotels over the last two years. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to gain your confidence in Hotel Adagio. We have an incredible team that is passionate about serving our guests and would appreciate the pleasure of exceeding your expectations.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

First off let me say that I was traveling on an employee rate so I try not to be difficult as i work the front desk. We were staying a total of 7 days for my 35th birthday and we checked in pretty late on saturday night so we got a room that had a view of the giant Ac units but didnt care as we had travled from the east coast and we were very tired. So the next morning we were going out for the day and asked to be moved and the new room they moved us to was a total 360. It was very spacious and up on the 14th floor with a great view. All the staff was excellent with dealing with me since I can be a little needy at times. We used the car service twice and they were very quick and friendly. It is within walking distance to the shopping area and cable car stop. There is a great little market a few doors down next to the walgreens where you cn get a few snacks. Union square is fairly close and within walking distance as well. The only con I see of it charging for internet, but for the 9.95 charge you can use up to 3 devices with is nice. I also would like to say that Becca was awesome to us and even gave us an upgrade. To the other reviews saysing that the homless were bothersome, we never had any issues or problems with them at all and we came back pretty late at night most of the time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Adagio. We are glad you enjoyed our newly renovated San Francisco hotel and the world class customer service you received from our entire staff. Your comments have been shared with our staff members and are greatly appreciated. We enjoy taking care of our guests' needs and are willing to be of assistance in any way we can to ensure your comfort. Thank you for your great review. We hope to see you again soon!

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Pros: Rooms are very large for SF; request a corner room on higher floor. Location near Union Square is great. Water infused with various things daily in lobby (mint, watermelon, limes, etc.). Nice gym. Decorated well.

Cons: Service is a major area for improvement: iron was dirty and messed up our clothes, it took several hours and two calls to the front desk to replace; sheets were torn; phone stopped working on day 2 of a 4 night stay, took over 24 hours to repair and none of the speed dials worked after repair; room service came without silverware (though it was prompt); my husband had ordered a fruit and cheese plate to be in our room when we arrived, it wasn't there but showed up in our room when we returned from the day's outing many hours later; breakfast downstairs is a disaster--constantly had to flag severs down for water, coffee, silverware, etc.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Traveler1945117,

Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for our shortcomings that you expressed in your review, and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I have followed up on your comments, as it is essential that we investigate the details and make the necessary improvement to ensure this does not happen again. I am pleased that you were comfortable in our spacious accommodations and hope that you will keep in mind all that you did enjoy while staying with us. A future opportunity to impress you with an improved experience would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for your review. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to San Francisco.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We just spent a week at Hotel Adagio. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Housekeeping was so quick to honor requests for ice, towels, etc. We had queen sized beds, which were hard to find! Our room was large and we had space to move around without tripping over 4 large suitcases. Could not have made a better choice for our first visit to San Francisco.

Room Tip: With 4 adults, queen sized beds were great. Just blocks from Union Square. 2 blocks from Hertz - we...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pamelita7117,

Thank you for choosing to make us a part of your very first visit in San Francisco! We appreciate you sharing the details of your week long experience with us and that you were comfortable in our spacious accommodations. It's great to hear that you could not have made a better choice than staying with us, and we couldn't agree with you more! We truly enjoy going above and beyond in any way we can for our guests, and your recognition of our efforts is greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to having you and your family as our guests again.

Kindest Regards,
Santa Monica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is walking distance to the shopping area, and touristy area. The room is clean and looks nice. The salad they serve at the bar is also good. (Although if you want diner type of food, there's a good one across from the hotel.) Wifi is available at the lobby. They serve Starbucks coffee and good teas (24 hours a day) right by the breakfast area. But what I was really impressed with, are the staff. EVERY PERSON I encountered that worked there were verrrry accomodating and warm. The room attendants, receptionists, concierge, bartender, people at the kitchen, waiters, general manager were all very warm. They greeted their customers and genuinely would ask if there was anything they could do to help.

There was a young lady who seemed to be functioning as a host of some sort, talking with the guests, finding out if they needed anything. She approached me and was perceptive that I was in need of something. She asked me if something was wrong. I said, no, I was just deciding what to do because I already had to check out but still had to wait for my husband who will be back to get me in 4 hours. She told me that I was welcome to have some coffee or tea, and access the wifi from the lobby or the breakfast area/lounge. I took the offer.

As I was getting settled, I approached a lady behind the counter/bar who was currently slicing tomatoes for a salad. I asked her if she knew what the password was. She warmly smiled and took my pen and paper and quickly went to the front desk to retrieve what I needed.

In a few minutes, as I was trying to log on, the general manager approached me and asked if I had any problems logging in. I was having some trouble with that and he was more than happy to help me find which network to get into.

I had lunch at the bar and the bartender was also very welcoming to the guests. It was nice.

Hotels can be very generic but it's the people who run it that make it feel special. I like this place. I'll come back to this hotel when I get back to San Francisco.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Bernadette F,

We are ecstatic to learn that you were impressed with our hotel and exceptional customer service. Our team is always excited to receive such positive feedback from our guests. We work very hard to make our hotel experience a very special and unique one. Thank you for taking the time to share so many details of your enjoyable stay. We appreciate your business and are thrilled to have earned your guest loyalty. Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and providing us and other travelers with your helpful insight. We can't wait to serve you again on your next visit to San Francisco!

Best Regards,
Michael Pace, General Manager

Been to Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!