“You decide!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #218 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
Durham, United Kingdom
“You decide!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Well I'm not sure where to start.

We had a long drive before arriving in San Fran and I was very dubious regarding the accommodation once we we're let into the lobby area. Like other reviews have mentioned you do have to press a door bell, then you are buzzed in, at 1st I thought it was a bit of a pain but once you have seen the amount of homeless people around the city I then realised it was probably better for the security of people staying at the premises.

The lobby area is not too bad and to be fair the staff were reasonably helpful, having said that I had no issues or reasons to bother them for anything.

The wifi is free but works in fits and starts, on occasion instant but more often very slow.

Once we got out of the lift and entered the 4th floor landing area we were hit with a strong smell of urine and this continued into the room. The landing is really run down.

The window in the room which leads onto the metal fire escape area that's accessible by other hotel users did not lock! I found this very worrying for my security and belongings.

I've travelled a lot over the years and by no means am I stuck up about potentially 'roughing it' but my 1st impressions of this place were to turn round and walk out. The initial impression is that it's dirty and not a nice place to stay and most of all I felt uneasy and on edge.

We did not have internet access before making this reservation, if we did and I'd read the mixed reviews I would not have booked this accommodation.

I take note of all the other mixed reviews and can partly understand people giving this place a reasonable review purely based on location and price but would I ever book this place again? Not a chance!

There is no way anyone can issue an 'excellent' review for here, it's just not possible.

I suppose it's up to you. Look at the pictures I've uploaded, if you think it looks to your standards and you don't mind the strong smell of urine book yourself in!

Enjoy!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
shanghai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last July for 3 days.The hotel is run by a family from India. The price for a room in July was $ 110 a night but still was not worth it. The hotel ( I would not even call this a hotel) was old, dirty and had a stink of rotten food or God knows what but what a foul stench. The stairs and rooms had old warn out carpets with stains. The bathroom had a toilet bowl from when the place must have been built. I can go on and on.San Fransisco is a beautiful city but the city needs to inspect these dives. If you meet someone you do not like recommend this disgusting filthy,hole in the wall to them!Avoid!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a budget hotel. But compared to the hugely expensive other hotels in San Francisco, the Taylor hotel was fantastic value. The rooms are old but clean, with private bathrooms and perfectly adequate hot water. Honestly, for a hotel with these prices, what more could you ask for! And its in a great location. The curtains were thin so I used an eye mask as I like the room to be very dark when I sleep, and the streets of San Fran are noisy so I also used ear plugs. But i have absolutely no complaints for the hotel itself, and I would stay here again. I think it's been judged far too harshly by other reviewers.

Room Tip: The streets are noisy, so as far away from Taylor st as possible!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Really enjoyed. It's clean. Does not smell weird. Good shower pressure. Awesome location. Mini fridge + TV. Clean linens. Good security. Felt comfortable in the neighbourhood. No plug in the BR, so just bring an extension cord to do your hair in the mirror (an easy fix). Lots of space. Stayed in both the 2 bed and 1 bed rooms. Fab deal. I hope it stays affordable because I'd go back again for sure. i honestly don't understand the poor reviews. It was great and beyond expectation for paying so much less than anywhere else without actually having to share rooms with strangers. I never heard the neighbours. Very quiet. Locking doors. Much better than a typical hostel. It's just a simple hotel, not mega luxurious, but it's certainly not a dump. Elevator worked when I was there. If you want the 4 Seasons, than go ahead and pay $500/night. If you want an affordable, clean, quiet, safe, centrally located place to sleep, shower, and hang out a bit, this is your best choice.
Only one thing...if you have a bad back (which I don't), maybe bring something to help with that, as the mattresses were just kind of cheap (as expected, I don't think they should buy new ones, but a little back ache definitely helped me get out of bed every day).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located in the heart of san francisco's downtown, you can even walk to market street where all the shops and restaurants are. When you first arrive in front if the hotel you get kind of scary from the building, really old and poor maintained. You get into it and the lady is waiting for you in a kind of "office" up on 4 stairs, smelly and messy inside. The room is quite big but the linen and te curtain looks very very dirty, the toilet is small and look old. No breakfast included and the wifi is supposted to work and be free but it doesn't. This place worth just for the position!

• Stayed August 2012
bluemoon5
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I am no diva and can rough out a bad hotel. But this is over the top.

Stayed there for four days. Here's my experience:
You must be buzzed in everytime you want into the hotel. PAIN. Elevator does not work. Steep staircase, just great with big luggage. Not. The place reeks of Indian seasonings 24/7. My room:
carpet so filthy my bare feet were practically suction cupped to the floor.
Exposed pipes throughout.
Medieval heater does not work.
ONE outlet in the entire room. None in the bathroom. Shaving, curling hair, etc must be done sitting on floor by TV. A power strip is plugged into the outlet and the mini fridge and microwave are using up 2 of the outlets on the strip.
Bathroom knob, as pretty as it was (vintage crystal) was literally hanging off so no privacy there.
Very dim, poor lighting throughout. Couldnt read the book I brought.
Pancake pillows.
Dresser/entertainment center doors literally came off in my hands when I attempted to open them.
No tub plug. Had to use a washcloth jammed in the drain for a bath.
About 6 inches between foot of bed(s) and the TV center. Banged up our shins again and again.
Price is questionable considering all of the above. Location was great. Closet space was good. Tub/shower not too bad. Personally, I would try harder to find a room elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

stayed at this Hotel while looking for an apt. They need professional CLEANING SERVICE.
a little CLOROX in the bathroom and some paint wouldn't hurt. the place is DIRTY.
the owner makes his wife clean the rooms, so after looking after her children and her own apt.
How Do you think she feels like cleaning the Rooms? The place is disgusting !!!!! the carpeting stained, the furnitiure was dirt.
It was October 2011, it was 90 degrees in San Francisco and 130 degrees in the room...the owner supplies a 5"fan. R U Kidding?
The place is surrounded by bars it's noisey. I could have probably handeled the noise if the room was clean & cool. DON"T STAY HERE. Save your money and pick a better hotel.

Room Tip: Save $$$ and stay in a Cleaner Place
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Taylor Hotel? Share your experiences!