“Not so much.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #216 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
bluemoon5
“Not so much.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I am no diva and can rough out a bad hotel. But this is over the top.

Stayed there for four days. Here's my experience:
You must be buzzed in everytime you want into the hotel. PAIN. Elevator does not work. Steep staircase, just great with big luggage. Not. The place reeks of Indian seasonings 24/7. My room:
carpet so filthy my bare feet were practically suction cupped to the floor.
Exposed pipes throughout.
Medieval heater does not work.
ONE outlet in the entire room. None in the bathroom. Shaving, curling hair, etc must be done sitting on floor by TV. A power strip is plugged into the outlet and the mini fridge and microwave are using up 2 of the outlets on the strip.
Bathroom knob, as pretty as it was (vintage crystal) was literally hanging off so no privacy there.
Very dim, poor lighting throughout. Couldnt read the book I brought.
Pancake pillows.
Dresser/entertainment center doors literally came off in my hands when I attempted to open them.
No tub plug. Had to use a washcloth jammed in the drain for a bath.
About 6 inches between foot of bed(s) and the TV center. Banged up our shins again and again.
Price is questionable considering all of the above. Location was great. Closet space was good. Tub/shower not too bad. Personally, I would try harder to find a room elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

stayed at this Hotel while looking for an apt. They need professional CLEANING SERVICE.
a little CLOROX in the bathroom and some paint wouldn't hurt. the place is DIRTY.
the owner makes his wife clean the rooms, so after looking after her children and her own apt.
How Do you think she feels like cleaning the Rooms? The place is disgusting !!!!! the carpeting stained, the furnitiure was dirt.
It was October 2011, it was 90 degrees in San Francisco and 130 degrees in the room...the owner supplies a 5"fan. R U Kidding?
The place is surrounded by bars it's noisey. I could have probably handeled the noise if the room was clean & cool. DON"T STAY HERE. Save your money and pick a better hotel.

Room Tip: Save $$$ and stay in a Cleaner Place
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I read the negative reviews before I stayed here. I stayed here for a week. I was a tourist from Australia. I find it hard to understand the negative reviews below. Some of the reviews are very bad for this place, and I cannot understand why. Maybe these people were expecting the Hilton for 60 bucks a night. San Francisco, as a city, as some of the highest hotel prices in the entire world, so to find this gem was a godsend for me. I googled around the day after staying in a cramped, noisy hostel in San Francisco, and I found this place. I was glad to stay here for a week.

Yes, it is the practice to pay up front. Yes, it does look a little run down. But I never got the sense that anybody was getting rich here out of overcharging tourists. It is a lovely, quant old early 20th century bulding, six floors high, with a working elevator, and it is right next door to a store where you can buy almost everything you will need.

The number one most importantly wonderful thing is that this place is just a few hundred meters from the big hotels near Union Square. This place is two small blocks from Union Square. You can walk to Union Square in two minutes flat.

I was so happy to pay just a little more than a hostel would cost, and get my own private room, private bathroom, fridge, tv with over 100 channels it seemed, I never counted them, and free wifi, and the wifi was fast. The hot water in the shower was hot, and I felt my belongings were safe in my locked room when I was out for the day.

There was soap and so on provided in the bathroom, and the bathroom floor and room carpet had in recent years been replaced, you could tell. The hallways do look a little run down, but I get the sense it would cost tens of thousands of dollars even just to give this whole place a coat of new paint. I never got the sense anyone was getting rich from this place by charging me 60 dollars approximately for a private room and bathroom. I am happy for them to not paint this joint, and keep offering guests wonderfully affordable accommodation instead.

There does appear to be an Indian family that own or run this place, and to me they were there when I needed them. You do have to ring the bell to reenter the hotel. But with all the homeless in downtown San Francisco this made me feel safe. I never waited more than 60 seconds for the manager to buzz me in the door, and I came back to the hotel late at night a few times.

Downtown San Francisco as a rule, is full of beeping car horns, police sirens, fire engine sirens, and there is a wine bar next door to this hotel. I recommend ear plugs for sleeping at any big city hotel in any major US city. It is just common sense and not the fault of the hotel management, so bring ear plugs.

The bed was comfortable, there is no daily maid service, and more regular changes of sheets etc can be ordered if you speak to the management in the lobby. The rooms was thoroughly cleaned hours before I moved in to it, and I felt at home, and felt like being left to my own devices for a few days so I didnt bother demanding it be cleaned again during my stay. There are trash cans out on the street, and I used the plastic bags given with things I bought in the store next door, to every morning throw some trash in the public trash cans on the street outside. I did not mind doing this, I was just happy to find a comfortable, private room and bathroom with shower and bath for a mere 60 something dollars a night, in a city where people regularly pay four times that a night, for some room that differs very little from this, but just has a shiny new coat of paint and some shinier appliances and fittings and a more presitigous name and marble lobby.

I was very thankful to find the Taylor Hotel San Francisco on Google the morning I was desperate for an affordable place to stay a week in San Francisco. I was pleased to see the tour buses leave from Union Square only a two minute walk away, and I was always able to get a cab nearby. The store next door was open until 1AM and had all I needed.

I would stay here again, and you should stay here too. It is so affordable, one could even stay here if you were apartment hunting for a few weeks, and be very comfortable.

A private room, a private bathroom with shower and bath and toilet, a practical double bed with clean sheets when you check in, a tv with cable, and a fridge and microwave, a big window that opens, and clean carpet that was obviously only a couple of years old in the room, a feeling of safety when it came to my belongings, as no one gets into the hotel that is not a guest, and I could not recommend it more for what it is, which is not a five star boutique hotel, it is a practical, affordable, no frills hotel right in the heart of downtown SF. And for what it is, and it never claimed to be more, I think some unreasonabe reviewers on here just expected it to be more, for what it is, it is very, very acceptable and pleasant, combined with the agreeable price, you cannot find a better affordable hotel in downtown SF than the Taylor Hotel San Francisco.

Tell your cab driver to take you to 615 Taylor, and pronto. Hand over less than half the money you would pay to stay elsewhere, and get the antique yet safe elevator to your room, open the window, let in the San Francisco air, place your bags down, and lie down and take it easy! You are staying a few hundered meters from Union Square, almost next door to some of the most upscale hotels in America, and you are staying here for cheap, while all the other mugs are paying through the nose for what? daily maid service? a nice paint job? it is not worth paying two to three times more for a hotel when you have everything you could ever need at the Taylor Hotel.

I was happy with my stay, and I felt I owed it to them to write this review. Some of the other reviews here are just brutal, and even culturally chauvanistic. I enjoyed this hotel and I doubt for the price that you can find anything comparable in San Francisco, especially downtown.

This place is the happy medium between upscale hotel, and the horrible overcrowded hostels you can stay in for 30 bucks a night in the area. I did not want to spend another night in bunk beds with young, drunken foreign tourists, showering in a tiny hole in the wall at the hostel. I also did not want to pay triple figure sums each night just for a private and peaceful place to lay my head. I found the happy medium between these two extremes, at the Taylor Hotel San Francisco.

I say, turn up, ask to see a room if you are unsure, and take it from me. You cannot find a better place to stay for the budget concious traveler. I traveled alone, and if you are alone, cost wise, you know what I am talking about. If you are just one person, and you have to buy a whole room, it is better that it be an affordable hotel. You will find this here.

And once you are here, nobody will bother you. You will have a peaceful stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for room 52. I stayed there and it was neat, practical, and well appointed. And clean.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Port of Spain, Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We booked a room for 4 nights, but when we got there, we were so disappointed! smell bad when we got in the building. There was no real reception & the personnel was unfriendly, had to knock many times to get personnel attention at the end we decided to withdraw. we couldn't breath since the room smelled terrible, more than a public restroom. paid $175 without touching their beddings!

Room Tip: terrible smell and dirty!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Castelnovo ne Monti
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

The worst hotel I have ever been. We booked a room for three night, but when we arrived they told us there weren't free room for the first night, so they send us to another hotel, in a disreputable quarter, where we were really afraid of the people in the streets. Then we returned to the Taylor hotel: the room was dirty and smelly, the bath small and old, they did't change towels and sheets. It was a nightmare. You will not save money booking here, you will only blow your staying in San Francisco.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

This place was cool. It was a new experience because we had never stayed in a hostel-style hotel. After reading all the positive and negative reviews we were a little worried about the quality of the hotel. We would both recommend bringing extra pillows because the beds are a little concrete hard. but over all if you are looking for the basics and not really staying in the room the whole trip, this is a good place. And PS: For all you urban clothing wearers, Hundreds clothing store is literally on the next corner (you can see it from your window) which was an added bonus for us.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
St. Gallen, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Price was good and it was perfectly located.
The room was really small and smelt like Indian Food all the Time. Underneath the bedsheets were drops of blood. Really grouse. They never Change the bedsheets or the bath towels.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Taylor Hotel? Share your experiences!