“Great location--service glitches” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

Save Saved
You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (North Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 25% with AAA
Ranked #7 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
colorado
“Great location--service glitches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My husband and I spent a long weekend here. Location is great--right at end of the Hyde Street (I think) cable car line, on Fishermans' Wharf, next to Cannery. The rooms are nautically themed, as if they were cabins on an ocean liner. When I checked in, I explained it was a very special anniversary (10). The clerk "upgraded" us and promised champagne would be sent up. Mind you, I wasn't expecting this until she promised it. Hotels were full that weekend and we were paying rack rate ($300/night) for a basic room so the upgrade was appreciated. Well, guess what? The upgrade was from a room with a king bed and sitting area to a room with 2 doubles!! For a romantic weekend? Really? And the promised champagne never arrived. The room was clean and the window opened, which was nice. That night, we asked the "concierge" to help us with restaurant reservations at a nearby restaurant. Acting put upon, he looked up the number, dialed it, and told us there was no answer. Then he walked away. Not what I expect from a boutique hotel concierge. The hotel seemed inundated with tour buses full of European tourists, some of whom would come down to the hotel bar/restaurant in the morning dressed in the nothing but the tiger print bathrobes the hotel provides for guests in the room closets! I really wanted to love this place, as I love the waterfront location and historic renovated building, and I generally like Kimpton hotels. But the service was disappointing, especially considering how much we paid for the room. Great restaurants nearby: Gary Danko, Scomos (old school). The Saturday farmers market at the Ferry Building was also a real treat.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
AntonioFlores4, Hotel Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2010
Dear missesthebeach,
Thank you for sharing your experience with our friends on tripadvisor ~ it sounds like we dropped the ball on your special day ~ I hope this won't keep you from thinking of us the next time your are in San Francisco. I would truly appreciate an opportunity to makes things up to you so please reach out to me first and I'd be glad to help you personally.
antonio.flores@argonauthotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed at the Argonaut for 2 nights this past weekend and enjoyed every minute of it. From the moment we stepped out of our car the gentlemen at the front door engaged our boys and they loved him. The entire staff was professional and went out of their way to ensure our stay was a wonderful one. Our room was beautiful...it was extremely clean and well appointed. You also can't beat the location of the hotel itself. In the evenings you could hear a little street noise but nothing to complain about at all. We were within walking distance to everything we wanted to see - which traveling with 2 young boys says a lot :-). I can't wait to head back to San Fran to enjoy this hotel again. Truly a great choice!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
AntonioFlores4, Hotel Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Hello nandzmom,
Thanks so much for the great review ~ I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that your boys enjoyed it as well. We will look forward to your next visit to our beautiful city.
Take care,
Rosemount, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Stayed at the Argonaut for three nights in late March, traveling with my teenage daughter. We did not book a "deluxe" room with a view (our standard inside room had a "view" of basically nothing - the top of the roof of the lobby and rooms on the other side of hotel). We had no intention of spending much time in the room, so the lack of view was not a detraction, just something to be aware of with an interior room. I found the decor in our particular room to be a little tired looking. The walls were a little dirty, chaise lounge a little dingy. The room was very cozy, and by this I mean, cramped. Very tight quarters between foot of bed and wall. Again, we weren't luxuriating in the room so I could deal with this, but it was disappointing. Bed was very comfortable, pillows kind of smooshy but fine. The bathroom amenities were better than standard - Aveda products a nice touch and smell great. My main issue with our stay was the noise - walls seemed to be paper thin. Conversations easily heard and, in some cases, understood through the walls. Every time our neighbors opened or shut their door it sounded as if they were in our room, not next door. Voices in the hallway seemed to be amplified. We got a good AAA deal on the room ($160 a night) but perhaps in the scheme of things our part of the building was more of a low rent district. I expected better soundproofing, especially after having read such glowing comments here about how quiet the Argonaut rooms were!!

Having said that, the staff we encountered and services we used were exemplary. We were not around during hot chocolate or wine hour, but several fellow elevator travelers remarked about how lovely those were. The front desk dealt with a minor bathtub draining problem swiftly and with smiles. Ernie, one of the bell hops, was helpful with directions and steering us to cool places for my adventurous teen. Did not use the concierge service, but noticed that he/she was always in demand. Front desk took care of our boarding passes overnight and they were waiting for us in the morning. Quite nice!

Location is superb. The Argonaut side of the Wharf seems less touristy and gaudy. Easy walk to cable cars, street cars, and mass transit.

I would stay at the Argonaut again, and splurge on a nicer room, perhaps with the hubby the next time. Even though we found a good rate, it compared to the rate I was quoted at other four-star hotels in San Fran. I expected a more spacious, quieter room, even at the "bargain" price.

Dear Mardo,
Thank you for sharing your comments with our friends on tripadvisor ~ I was happy to read that overall you enjoyed your stay although you are correct ~ due to the historical nature of our building ~ sound proofing is a challange ~ we hope that the charm and history of the The Cannary Building that we are in makes up for this. We hope this won't keep you from thinking of us again should your plans ever bring you back to beautiful San Francisco.
~Sincerely,
Kissimmee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

We just got back from a ten day trip in San Francisco and Napa valley. This was a nice hotel but it was my least favorite of the three hotels that we stayed in and the most expensive of the three. The concierge that we dealt with just did not seem to be as friendly as the other hotels and sometimes I felt like we were bothering them by asking for information. The hotel itself was very nicely furnished and the rooms were very nice and clean.. Did not like the pillows though. WE were always gone during their complementary wine hour until the last night and we showed up about 10 minutes before it was over to get a glass of wine and there was none left. The location was very nice as the hotel is right on the Wharf and right next to a cable car station. I did like the hotel, I just thought it was a little pricey for what we received.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear utmuse,
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor ~ I am sorry to hear about the poor service you received from our Concierge ~ I will be sure to share your comments with my team ~ we are here to provide you with the most enjoyable experience possible. Behavior like this is the last thing you would expect and for that I am truly sorry. Our rates due vary throughout the year ~ it's always recommended to contact the hotel reservations directly to try and get the best available rate out there. Next time your in the area please reach out to me so I can personally have a glass of wine waiting for you. I hope to hear from you soon.
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

I couldn't help but comment on this place where I am staying right now, amazing room, amazing service everything is just good. I stayed yesterday to a horrible smelly, stinky hotel Diva by union square. Thank goodness I had to moved the next day to another hotel by fisherman's wharf and chose argonaut based on good reviews. We are currently in a corner room (king suite with a view) with lots of window and brick walls, super clean and a very large room, and bathroom. My kids (toddlers) were running all over the room and enjoying it because of the space.

Tip: I booked and prepaid this room a week ago, I check their rates online today (the day I check-in, midweek) out of curiosity and the price dropped from what I paid for with a difference of $300.00. Next time I will probably gamble on getting this room the same day I'm checking-in since the rate is much cheaper.

The only bad thing I can comment is you have to ask the front desk for extra pillows and blanket since they don't keep extras in the room, also with the hair dryer. I had to call twice on both and twice I had to give a tip since they linger and gawk at you as if saying "uhmm my tip ms?". So be ready on tipping from the person who will take the luggage to your room, to the person who bring the cookies to your kids (compliments of hotel). Another tip for extra blanket and another for hair dryer since I forgot to ask at the same time =)

But its ok I can tip away as many as I need to as long as the hotel is as good as Argonaut!!

Dear pnaywifey,
Thank you so much for shareing your comments ~ I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us although I'm sorry to hear about the short comings that you experienced. As you can see based on other reviews this isn't something normal for us ~ I will certainly be speaking with my team about your comments to make sure it doesn't happen again. I sure hope this won't keep you from staying with us again. If you are in the area please feel free to reach out to me personally.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

The Argonaut always delivers on service as all Kimpton hotels do. You are warmly greeted as you arrive and your luggage is unpacked within moments. The front desk clerks are friendly, informative and genuinely care that you enjoy your stay. On our visit last weekend, my son became ill after our first night. The hotel was happy to let us depart early and even credited it us for the parts of the package that we did not use.

Hello leselee,
Thank you so much for the great review ~ I am happy to hear that my team was able to help you get home earlier then expected ~ I hope your son is feeling better. We hope you and your entire family get to come back for a do-over soon.
Take care,
New Hampshire Seacoast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

The hotel is in an historic renovated brick building and retains a lot of charm with exposed bricks and beams and a nautical theme throughout. We were upgraded to a slightly larger room upon check in and it was very spacious and comfortable for our 3-night stay. The shower was awesome and for once we actually used the complimentary toiletries as they were Aveda and smelled great. We had several minor issues during our stay but the manager solved things for us immediately and to our complete satisfaction. The staff is very energetic and friendly. My only complaint is the daily parking rate is steep (40+/night) but this seems to be the case nation-wide. The hotel restaurant, The Blue Mermaid, is really cute and offers outdoor seating in a courtyard off the street with live music. For some, it might be a little "touristy" but if you put snobbery aside, it really is a delightful place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!