“Soundproofing is desperately needed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Fisherman’s Wharf)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Get a $50 dining credit!
Ranked #7 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Vallejo, CA
“Soundproofing is desperately needed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

The majority of our stay at the Argonaut hotel was wonderful. The location of the hotel was fantastic. It was right on fisherman's wharf, and within walking distance of the attractions. Because of the hotel's convenient location we were able to board our tour of the city right in front of the hotel instead of driving to the tour company's main office. We enjoyed visiting the maritime museum, which was located inside the hotel. The bellmen, and doormen were friendly and helpful. They unloaded our baggage and two wheelchairs from our car, and assisted us into the hotel lobby. The nautical inspired decor in the lobby and in our room was beautiful. There were a lot of cute, whimsical decorations, and design elements in our room. We absolutely loved it. Our room and bathroom were wheelchair accessible and easy to navigate through. The seafood at the hotel restaurant was wonderful, and we liked the casual atmosphere.

The hotel unfortunately has one MAJOR flaw. The rooms are not at all adequately soundproofed. At around 2am I was watching television. I had the volume turned down low as not to disturb my grandmother and aunt who were sleeping in the bed next to mine. But to my surprise, the people in the next room started banging on the wall, and shouting for me to turn down the volume on the television. I turned the volume on the television down to the point where I had to sit next to the television to hear the sound. I was annoyed at having to do this, but thought that it would solve the problem. To my surprise I received an unpleasant phone call from the hotel's front desk asking me to turn the volume down on the television. The television would have had to be OFF for the volume to be any lower.

Up until that point, the hotel environment was warm and comfortable. After that incident I felt very uncomfortable staying there. I will not return to the Argonaut until they fix their sound issues.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2005

Stayed at the Argonaut from Christmas day to New Year's. Right from the beginning of our stay the hotel staff was amazing. From the doormen to the cleaning staff, everyone was extremely polite and helpful. The concierge were also very helpful when it came to planning a night out. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to travel to S.Francisco. Awesome location, price, and extremely clean. We will definitely stay at the Argonaut again.

los angeles, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2005

I would have given this hotel 5 stars except that the walls are a little thin and we could hear music and tv from the next room. Other than that, the location, people working there and the room were excellent. Free internet access in the lobby. We had a package for parking($36 a night), free breakfast in the Blue Mermaid Restaurant downstairs, free cable car pass for 1 day and Pier 39 fun book. Great package. I always have to look for a parking package because SF parking rates are outrageous. I would stay here again. This is the best hotel in the Fisherman's Wharf area.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2005

Well the hotel was every bit as good as the reviews we had read and as the hotel information suggested it would be and then some more. Rarely do hotels surpass their literature but this hotel did right from pulling up outside. The service, friendliness and helpfulness started at the door, followed through at reception and then the bellhop went out of his way to be friendly and helpful by offering to fetch us ice once he had unloaded our bags. He was also very knowledgeable about the area and immediately told us about the surroundings, coffee shops, diners and other amenities. His helpfulness continued throughout our stay as did every member of staff we had dealings. Even the cleaning staff go out of their way to welcome you as you walk through the corridors.

All the front office staff seem to have ear pieces and an example of the speed of service, even before being asked was when I witnessed a young boy drop his iced milkshake that split upon hitting the floor. The bellhop was immediately in contact with cleaning services even before the embarrassed parents could ask for help. No fuss was made or glaring looks as would have occurred at many other establishments.

The room we had, a large king deluxe was huge - as commented by other reviewers - it was as if it was new - the cleaning and servicing was first class. The room had a large settee and the desk was a good size and very comfotable swing/rocking desk captain's chair. The internet facilities in the room were first class without extra charge. the power unit on the desk was excellent and just the job to recharge camera batteries, cellphones etc. The quality of fittings throughout the hotel were excellent.

All in all so good I have already booked my daughter into the hotel for May this year and we shall definitely be coming back. A well positioned, well maintained hotel that understands service quality. If there were six stars it would warrant such.

Apple Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2005

I just returned from a weekend in San Francisco. My mom and I stayed at the Argonaut for three nights. We even splurged for a room with a view of the bay. We were very pleased with the level service we received. The front desk staff was very courteous and accomodating.They even gave us a later check out time. The doormen and bell staff opened the door and greeted us. And, our room was nicely cleaned each day. I did notice some noise in the hallway, but it seemed to be the same as other hotels I've stayed in. I think the Argonaut is a great value when you consider the prices of rooms at other hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area and the level of service those hotels offer. I don't think the Holiday Inn has the same level of service as the Argonaut, but their room rates are usually almost the same! I will definitely return to the Argonaut the next time I visit San Francisco!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

Found this hotel on the internet and was quite impressed upon arrival with our choice. The hotel has a nautical theme (which I thought might be corny from looking at the pictures online) but it's actually quite interesting and fun. The room was HUGE. The bed and couch area VERY comfortable. The only negative was that we reserved a room with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge but ended up with a big tree trunk in the way. It wasn't the hotel's fault since we had checked-in early and housekeeping was cleaning the other rooms with views. The receptionist at the front desk was accomodating and told us we could check back in a few hours to switch. We ended up sightseeing the whole day and never made the switch. Service at this hotel is top-notch, as the bellhops are helpful and very friendly. Great location on Fisherman's Wharf. We only stayed one night, wished it could have been longer. Overall an A+!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

Stayed at the Argonaut with my boyfriend over a week in January. Hotel is beautiful! Design and decor is very modern, lobby lounge is filled with nautical decor and plush sofas and chairs. Our room was a King Deluxe, with a view into The Cannery. Room size was huge! Bed was super comfortable. Bathroom was We arrived early (around 1:30pm) and were pleasantly surprised by an early check-in. Everyone from doormen to the people at the front desk were always very friendly and eager to help you whenever you had a question.

Couple of "CONS": room always had a slight funny smell to it... not overly bad.. slight smell of paint maybe? But not enought to really both us.
- yes, the Hotel is on the quiet end of Fisherman's wharf, but I would not spend too much time in this neighborhood... overly touristy, a lot of bums always roaming around on the streets. Do yourself a favor and catch the streetcar down to the Financial District which actually has lots of restaurants, stores, all in a very "city-like" environment. Ferry Building is also located in this area. North Beach and Chinatown are also definite stops.

PROS: lovely/modern/trendy decor. Very clean, bed is supersoft and comfy. Bathroom is a good size, all AVEDA amenities. Definitely try the chowder in the downstairs restaurant, its excellent. Lobby has wireless internet, as well as two computers set up for those who didn't bring a laptop. Very friendly service all around. Location is great, near both the cable car and street car stops. Also within walking distance to Ghiradelli Square and North Beach.

Definitely give this hotel a try, great value for a great hotel.

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!