“Maritime Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Fisherman’s Wharf)   |
Hotel packages
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Maritime Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

This hotel exceeded our expectations on every level possible! The Argonaut really goes above and beyond to make your stay wonderful, memorable and perfect.

I surprised my boyfriend with a romantic trip to Northern California for New Years. We first drove up to Eureka to visit an old friend of his and then drove down the 101 to SF for the night of New Years Day. I had read all of the fantastic reviews of the hotel here on TripAdvisor and actually wrote Richard Hippauf, the hotel manager, to let him know I appreciated his dedicated responses to the reviews and to also ask if he thought it would be a problem finding nice dining options on New Years Day down at the Wharf. He responded right away and promised that we would be able to find dining (and that the hotel would be happy to help us upon arrival) and that he would make sure we had a great stay. He sure did.

I had booked on a Travelzoo "deal" for a mere $99/nt + tax. I had a King Deluxe room booked, but when we checked in, we were upgraded to a SUITE! I was floored. It was GORGEOUS and so welcomed after driving 5 hours from Eureka in the rain. It was seriously nearly the size of our house! It had a full dining room and LG flat-panel TVs in both the living room and bedroom. The bathroom contained a fantastic jacuzzi tub which felt so good on my cramped "driving" muscles that night. The Speakman showerhead provided an excellent spray and I really appreciated the L'Occitane toiletries. The towels and sheets were of excellent hand and the exposed brick and wood beam architecture gave a fantastic feel to the entire room.

The room itself was in a FAR CORNER of the hotel (a pretty serious walk from the elevator), but so worth the distance. Despite the room literally being ON the street level and people walking by the windows constantly, we never heard a sound. No street sounds were audible AT ALL. The double-paned windows are phenomenal. It was like sleeping in a womb. I also really appreciated the Oxygen machine provided in our room. I have terrible allergies and asthma and I swear it helped me breathe easier. I barely needed my inhaler!

The staff at this hotel were kind, courteous, helpful and witty. Everyone we encountered went out of their way to make our stay the best it could be. My ONLY complaints (and they are super minimal) were: (1) I called down in the morning to ask for a couple of extra bath towels and they took 45 minutes to arrive (and I had to call again about them); (2) the valet we had didn't speak English very well and had a difficult time understanding both us (when we needed to get an umbrella out of the parked car) and how to work my Honda CRV.

But, as I said, those were such minor things, I still can't give the Argonaut any less than 5 stars. I only wish I would have booked a longer stay! If you have the opportunity, stay at the Argonaut. We will definitely be back.

• Liked — Quiet, luxurious, incredible staff, great location
  • Disliked — valet
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Ystradgynlais, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

Well what can I say? Fantastic stay at the hotel. After three weeks of travelling around the States this was wonderful. The staff were really friendly and chatty, which made a lovely change to some of the other hotels we stayed at. The doorman (who I forget the name of) was excellent! Nothing was too much of a problem when we stayed, even when I had trouble printing the boarding passes for our flight home.
The rooms were spacious, comfortable and most importantly clean. We had everything we needed to make it a comfortable stay. The bed was so comfortable that I wanted to take it home with me, as we say over here in the UK, I slept like a log!
Relaxing end to a somewhat hectic holiday.
Thank you all at the Argonaut and I hope someday we can return there.

• Liked — Clean and friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing it was wonderful!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stopped in the Argonaut for two nights on the way from Sydney to London. We had a bad first leg of the flight but the stay at the Argo refreshed us all and we enjoyed the hotel no end.

Lets get this out the way early, the hotel is gorgeous! I'd best liken it to a Disney Delux hotel. Disney would certainly be proud of it. You can see the pictures of the lobby and the rooms on this site and in person the quality of the fittings are first class.

I knew we'd love the look and feel of the hotel when I booked it but what I didn't realise was how good the staff were. They seem to have recruited the friendliest and most helpful people they could in all of the roles within the hotel. From the front door to the housekeeping they are fantastic.

Internet was free and quick. Lots of room freebies. Quiet rooms which surprised me after reading comments on here. Our room was a good size too.

We loved everything about the hotel and can't wait for a chance to go back!

• Liked — The staff and the whole look and feel of the place
  • Disliked — I guess its not cheap but you pay for quality
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GreatStayMakers, Hotel Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of you recent stay with us. We are always glad to hear when we live up to our guests’ expectations and make your stay most enjoyable - one you are happy to share with others. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are traveling through San Francisco if I can assist with your accommodations.

Regards,
Rich Hippauf
Richard.hippauf@argonauthotel.com
Hotel Manager
East Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Just a short one nighter for us this year en route to Las Vegas.

This was our 3rd visit to the Argonaut and we were pleasantly suprised to find no nasty suprises - nothing has changed!!

Even though we booked a standard king room, we found ourselves with a nice harbour view. OK the room was probably a bit smaller than our last inwards facing room, but the view was worth the compromise.

The staff couldn't be more helpful, cheerful and polite and made our stay a very easy one.

Leaving early the next morning en route to Vegas we booked a room service breakfast - which turned up on time with a smile.

One small gripe - ladies take note - the hairdryer they provide in the bathroom is useless and so remember to ask the front desk for a salon quality hairdryer (they definitley have them) when you check in or even when you book.

• Liked — Predictable good service with a smile
  • Disliked — The hairdryer!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
So glad to hear your return visit was as memorable as your previous two! Thank you for sharing your experience and also for your comments on the interactions with the staff. It is always great to know that we are delivering the quality of service we strive to achieve. When it is time for your 4th visit with us, please remember to contact me directly if I can assist with your reservation…and I will be sure your hairdryer is waiting for you when you check in!

Regards,
Rich Hippauf
Richard.hippauf@argonauthotel.com
Hotel Manager
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Very nice hotel with great location in Fishermans Wharf. The hotel used to be a Del Monte cannery and Kimpton has done a nice job of making it into a cozy boutique hotel with a nostalgic feel. Staff was very friendly and accomdating. Since it was my 40th birthday trip, the hotel staff upgraded us to a large room with a view of "The Rock".
The hotel accidently packed one piece of our luggage into another customers car. Thankfully the customer contacted the hotel once they arrived home (Lake Tahoe area). By the time we knew about the mistake we were in Monterey. Once the hotel realized the error they sent an employee to Lake Tahoe to retrieve our luggage and it was at our hotel in Monterey that same night. I understand mistakes happen and the hotel did the right thing by correcting their mistake quickly and professionaly.
A special thanks to Erin in Lake Tahoe area for notifying the hotel about the mistake.

• Liked — Location, pet friendly, and great service
  • Disliked — Internet available but not free on hotel computers
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

My husband had business in SF, so we made a long weekend out of it and booked the Arognaut for 2 nights, Fri and Sat.

I arrived at the hotel at 10am just to drop off my luggage and head out sightseeing, not expecting a room to be ready, but they had a room ready for me, so I was able to check in. We booked a King room with Bay View, and got exactly that. Nice size room, great nautical decor, nice change of pace from the typical hotel room decor. The view outside the window was of Alcatraz, Hyde St. Pier and to the left, The Golden Gate Bridge. It was perfect!

Hotel room was stocked with all essentials, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, cotton swabs and cotton balls, coffee maker with Starbucks regular and decaf, honor bar, ice bucket, glasses, all the usuals. Had a great charging station (that's what I call it because I had about 4 different chargers plugged in at once), clock radio with iPod dock, so you could plug in and listen to your iPod in the room. Nice touch.

Evening wine reception in the lobby was very nice, although the lobby was PACKED!!! Standing room only - barely. I was surprised to see a few dogs in the lobby and then remembered it was a pet friendly hotel.

Location of hotel was great for Fisherman's Wharf/Ghirardelli attractions, Alcatraz, etc. Also convenient to F line and of course the Hyde/Powell Cable Car. I noticed hardly any lines for the cable car in the mornings, but very long lines in the evenings. Hotel location was also great to access bus lines which are a great way to get around and see other parts of the city (yes, there is more to SF than Fisherman's Wharf!). Also convenient to the Fisherman's Wharf rental car facilities. Most within a 2 block walk.

The only thing that was slightly irritatiing was when the Concierge tried to steer us away from taking the bus to dinner in Pacific Heights, she really wanted us to take a cab. We asked about bus lines and she really frowned upon taking a bus. But she gave in in the end and directed us to the bus stop (although not the accurate transfer info, we asked the bus driver and found our way w/o problem). We ended up having a terrific dinner in Pacific Heights and it was such a lovely night, we walked allllll the way back to the hotel - it was downhill, thankfully. We wouldn't have walked back uphill the whole way! So, that's a tip if you want to get out and walk, have dinner somewhere up hill and walk back, makes for a great evening!

We did have a car one of the nights and the valet service was excellent. The guys were very friendly and helpful. Check in/check out was a breeze. Our request for a late checkout (1:00pm) was not a problem. We will definitely return to the Argonaut in the future!

• Liked — Staff, location, view
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Cotswolds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

Great location, at the Fishermans Wharf and end of Powell-Hyde cable car.
The rooms were generally large with 2 doubles. We were initially given a very small corner room, but were upgraded very quickly and courteously after I expressed my disappointment.

The staff were helpful; the concierge got us tickets for the 49ers game and the doorman gave great advice on getting to and (more importantly from) the stadium. The hotel bar is part of restaurant so does not stay open late, but around the area are many bars and restaurants so no problem there. The hotel lay on complimentary wine tasting each evening, the only shame was that in a state where so much wine is produced, they only had Chilean and Spanish!

Our favourite restaurant was Ana Mara, a Vietnamese/pan Asian place with a very lively atmosphere, great staff and excellent food. It’s just around the corner from the Argonaut. Also highly recommended is a cocktail in the Carnellian, on the 52nd floor. Stunning views. Get there at 3pm when it opens for the best seats.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!