“Good location, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

Save Saved
You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (North Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Celebrate with us
Ranked #8 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
istanbul
“Good location, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Argonaut for one night. The location and nautical decor are very nice. Rooms are good size. However be sure to get a room facing front or side. The windows did not open and the a/c was blowing right onto the bed which was very uncomfortable all night. Another bad surprise was right after we picked our car from the valet, we noticed that the gas in our car was down to a 1/4 tank from a full tank! My husband emailed the hotel about this however he got no replies, so also be ware about this situation when you leave your car with the valet.

• Stayed June 2014
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hello, Nazli68,
I am interested in getting to the bottom of this gas tank issue right away! For some reason we did not receive your email, so this is the first I am learning of this and I would love the opportunity to investigate. Please drop me a line when your time allows.
I'm happy you still enjoyed the hotel overall, and would award us the 4-star rating. Next time, though, of course we will be striving for perfection!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Marina Del Rey California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Have travelled a lot , am originally from SF and wanted to show my recent bride the city during a family visit . Have always wanted to stay @ The Argonaut. For the price , am very unimpressed. I realize it's height season , it's in the heart of the wharf, however, I feel very overcharged. 400 to hear the band as if it's in my room? Then the lack of caring about it from the front desk, I read about the thin walls and should have stayed away. I work very hard for my $ . The only positives were the bell staff, the valets and the doorman , the front desk seem to not car at all , on checking and later when we complained about the music.

Stayed August 2014
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hello, Danodiver,
The band that played at the event in the hotel ballroom last weekend had no amplification (speakers, bass, etc.) and yet they somehow became loud enough that we did receive three complaints. Not good! We will be more vigilant about live bands in the future and have learned our lesson. Please contact me directly if you have a moment to discuss this further. Thank you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We had Great Service from staff especially from Steven!! Great Location! I will return and will recommend! Great Valué Proposition. The rooms were ample and clean. My only objection was the noise insulation, we could some times hear are neighbors and the hall.

Stayed July 2014
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hi, Tuntu M, and thanks so much for your review!
I'm thrilled that we were a great value and location for you. Of course, we have a personal stake in the service, and I'll make sure to share your appreciation with Steven :).
Motherwell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed at the Argonaut in July for 3 days as part of our silver wedding anniversary trip from Scotland. We had the hotel know about our special occasion but there was no special message or any gratuities offered. We had visited NY, Savannah, NORA and this was our last stop at San Fran. There was a change to our flight so we arrived about 10pm. We didn't realise that all places on the wharf close at 1030pm-11pm so nowhere was available to get water and a wee aperitif. There was a couple of bars up around the cable car rides, wish we had have did that. We called room service which was almost closing also so we did manage to order some water and vino but it took almost an hour. The room was very tastefully decorated with it's nautical theme and the big mirror is really nice although no view. There was no noise from bar so that was good. Comfortable bed too. Guy that took our luggage in was very helpful and informative. The next day we walked around, the wharf is very touristy and busy so wouldn't be a place I would return to. We visited Muir Woods, Sausalito which was stunning. We sat overlooking the sea and looking across to bay Bridge, then of course Alcatraz which is a must. The staff were very nice and accommodating at the hotel. We never unfortunately arrived back for the free gratis wine hour, too much to do in the time we had. The concierge was very helpful issuing us with a map and booking us dinner overlooking the Bay bridge which was stunning, bot the food and view. We enjoyed it very much. Cable cars around the corner, be prepared for approx 1hr 30 min wait. You must do a trip around the bay, it is lovely. Wished we had more time there awe....

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hello, mags21912, and thank you for your insights! I agree that it is a "must" to get out on the Bay and enjoy the views and some salt air. It's great to see that we were a convenient jumping off point for you to explore Sausalito and Muir Woods to the North as well. Next time, if you arrive late again, you mentioned that the famous Buena Vista Cafe is a great option, and I'd also recommend The Pub (amazing American BBQ!) and Jack's, which has a zillion beers on tap and a great "locals scene," much like Fiddler's Green behind the hotel. But now you've made me thirsty during the work day ;)...
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

As the last stop on a long road-trip, it was nice to be able park the car and not need it for a couple of days. That's because it was right down on the street along the wharf.

The rooms are a tad bit smaller than other hotels, but you're in the city, so that's normal. As our room overlooked a inner courtyard (you look down to a roof, not grass), it is nice and quiet.

The valet was quick on drop-off and pickup. Wifi was free for us because it just was free for everyone this month. I don't think it is always free.

It was a bit pricier than other hotels, but we felt given the location and quality of the hotel, it was reasonable.

Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hi, StuGrunt, and thanks so much for visiting us!

I'm glad that the location was so convenient for you, and -- yes! -- we are lucky that our hotel rooms are quite roomy by city standards. I will also share your praise with the valet team for their speedy service with your car! As for the wifi, the good news is it is always free for members of our Kimpton Karma Rewards program -- and of course that is free to join, so there's no strings attached :)!
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The Argonaut is a large hotel on the Fisherman’s Wharf. It is well placed for trips to the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz and other bay tours. It is a 10-15 minute cab ride from Union Square and you can take the cable car from just next to the hotel. Check-in was efficient. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The soundproofing however was poor for a hotel at this level. We were kept awake late at night by someone speaking on the phone and woken early another day by children playing in the room next door. They have a complimentary drinks hour (5-6pm) each evening, which was a very good touch. The staff were a credit to the hotel with their courtesy and professionalism.

Hotels are expensive in San Francisco, especially in high season, and the Argonaut is not a cheap option. However, it is a reasonable choice for this part of town.

Hello, adeno_34!

Thanks for joining us for summer at the waterfront! I'm bummed to see that that neighbor noise put a damper on things, but happy that the room was so comfortable overall. We are indeed lucky to have some space for folks to spread out in the rooms (at least by city standards!) and of course I feel lucky to work with this crew, too. I'll let the team know you appreciated their helpfulness! I hope to see you back again.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and our 2 daughters loved this Hotel from the minute we walked in, the nautical theme was very impressive and you instantly got a warm feeling as soon as you walked in, a fireplace in the foyer made it a great place to sit and relaxed and the free wine & beer tasting from 5-6pm everyday was so much fun. We had a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge from our room and being on the waterfront made it perfect to get around San Francisco without using the car. The rooms were stunning as well and the staff were lovely and so helpful, we would stay there again if we were ever in San Francisco again.

Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thanks, Reginia G!
I have met so many folks from Australia since joining the Argonaut, and it's been a pleasure! I can't wait to make a trip to your country one day.
I'm glad that you loved the hotel from the first moment, and we were a hit with your daughters, too. It's fun to chat with guests at the wine reception and watch them making friends from around the globe :).

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!