“Absolutely Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

Save Saved
You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (North Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Celebrate with us
Ranked #8 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Healdsburg, California
“Absolutely Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Spent three nights here for my birthday. Upon arrival we were treated like someone special, the valet, the bellman, Lavon at the front desk was great!, the concierge, can't say enough about their attention to superb customer service. Had room on 4th floor with view of Golden Gate Bridge and Cable Car turnaround, was great. Everyone had a smile when they greeted you. The Happy Hour in the lobby was fun, we met a lot of people from all over. The location is perfect, we never used our car once. You walk out of the hotel and you are in the middle of all the fun. We took a cab to the baseball game just minutes away. We tried to add a night because we didn't want to leave but they were booked and I understand why. We will definitely go back to the hotel again, hopefully soon!

Room Tip: Top floor has better views
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Well, "Absolutely Perfect" is just what I hope to read, Linda L!
Thanks so much for the kind note, and we hope you can stay longer next time. I'll be sure to share your review with Lavon and the team!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I recently spent three nights at the Argonaut hotel in SF. We stayed in a tranquil Deluxe double queen room. The room size was reasonable and the room was quiet, despite being in the most touristy part of SF. Our stay was mostly pleasant. However, when I am paying over $500 per night for a room, I expect very good service. I had some issues:

1) The fire alarm rang at 12:30 am and the entire building was evaluated. The hotel blamed a malfunctioning control unit. Shouldn’t these be regularly tested?

2) The wifi, in various parts of the hotel including my room and the lobby, didn’t work for a few days. I alerted the front desk, but for 36 hours they did nothing. Finally the Assistant GM intervened and had it fixed the next morning. The hotel staff reported my complaint to their IT company but neither the IT company nor the hotel staff followed up on the problem.

3) Every call to the front desk resulted in being put on hold for a few minutes.

I wouldn’t pay more than $200 per room if I ever stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi, SoccerD,
Thanks so much again for helping me get to the bottom of that wifi glitch. I wish we had resolved it for you sooner, but happy that we are back to normal now that Kimpton Corporate IT got involved with the provider.
I can't believe the full moon luck of that wifi glitch followed by the fire alarm. The good news is that actually the alarm system was working normally (vs malfunctioning). A sensor picked up on heavy, proximate steam. Luckily, we identified and contained the source and there was no flame or injury.
We appreciate that everyone evacuated in an orderly fashion. This was the first such event I've seen in my two years at the Argonaut, so I can reassure you that things will be smoother next time! We appreciate your patience and hope to see you again.
Aptos, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We have enjoyed stay at this hotel even the rooms are very narrow.

The price is about 450-500 now which really make he room feels extra small.

The night we stayed last week, fire alarm went out at 12:30am and everyone had to come down to the street level. There was no apology or explanation from the management on what happened.

Stayed July 2014
Hello, HLKEBB,
As I mentioned to the other reviewer (SoccerD), that fire alarm was a scare to us all, and totally out of the norm, so I appreciate your patience. I understood that the overnight team made an announcement (along with the "all clear") in the lobby to explain the situation, and I do regret that I took it for granted that everyone heard the updates and felt safe. Though I don't expect this situation to recur in the future, if it were to, I would definitely write and distribute a guest letter next time. Please feel free to drop me a line if there is a way we can make this up to you in your future travels!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed here with family for three nights and found it to be clean, comfortable, friendly with an attractive nautical interior design theme throughout. From the start we felt welcome and I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a base from which to see San Francisco Bay. Hire bikes from bLazing saddles two doors down, enjoy a 10 minute walk to Pier 39 or pier 33 for ALcatraz. Then get the cable car (5 minutes from hotel) into 'town' for shopping! But bear in mind cable car queues can be up to 1 hour in high season. Loved hotel..... Very comfortable and would come again if and when we revisit San Francisco. Breakfast fantastic at Blue mermaid Chowder house which is attached to the hotel. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thanks, Shona B! We'll share your comments with the Blue Mermaid team as well. I just love their thick-cut bacon, be it in the quiche or on the lunchtime Ahi Tuna BLT.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was my first time staying near Fisherman's Wharf. I wasn't too excited about being in the middle of the action but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. We spent two nights here after a Napa trip. The rooms are small, but very comfortable. The lobby is a cool place to hang out by the fire and enjoy some down time in between your busy day. The museum next door is very informative and interactive. I went on a run along the shoreline in the morning and it was so nice to be out before the throng of tourists. The location is within walking distance of Ghirardelli square and Fort Mason, among many other sites. I honestly think the food at and around the wharf isn't very good (mostly over-priced tourist spots). However the dinner and drinks at Blue Mermaid were quite tasty.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks, MGP626!
I'm happy that you enjoyed that early run along the waterfront. It's quite a view! Some of our guests also like to take out the free bike rentals or even swim in the Aquatic Park (not for me!).
If you hadn't had your fill of wine tasting, I hope you got to check out the neat Winery Collective tenant here at the hotel. They feature some very rare, limited production wines from our local area and their tasting flight experience is super informative!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Not the ordinary luxury hotel or business hotel. The theme of the hotel matches the atmosphere of the bay. The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly and nice. The hotel is right next to the cable car turnaround so good for sightseeing too.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi, May-Tok!
This unique and setting-appropriate seaside vibe is exactly what we go for. We believe everyone should have a sense of place -- and, better yet, of the rich history of the city's waterfront district. Thanks for checking us out, and also for your kind review and praise of the housekeeping team and front-end staff!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

After a week of couch crashing and camping, this was quite a treat for our last night in California. I absolutely loved the nautical theme and the location was perfect. After checking in we walked along Fisherman's Wharf, went to the sea lion-less Pier 39 (in summer they migrate south for breeding), got chocolate in Ghiradelli square and then ended with a fresh seafood dinner.

They have a complimentary happy hour 5-6. I don't drink but it was a nice touch. The jars of fresh cucumber-mint ice water in the lobby were more up my alley. So refreshing!

The only hiccup we experienced was a fire alarm going off at 12:30am. The entire hotel had to be evacuated to the street. A manager came out to inform us it was a false alarm but the fire department had to be the ones to come and turn it off. A minor inconvenience but with the overly comfy beds I had no trouble going right back to sleep!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks, kmarte7!
I'm happy that even that alarm couldn't overcome the comfort of the beds. Great news.
It sounds like the hotel was a great home base for all of your adventures. We'll have to let the kitchen know their cucumber mint water was just what you needed when returning "home"!

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!