“Best location on the Wharf!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (North Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 25% with AAA
Ranked #5 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Chandler, Arizona
“Best location on the Wharf!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just got back from another trip after staying at the Argonaut. I had stayed here with family in September 13' and then recently my husband and I were here for one night with friends at the tail end of our northern Ca wine trip. Both times I booked via hotwire and was able to secure a great rate for this hotel. All the hotels on the Wharf are high but this one has an exceptional level of service and its on the quieter end of the Wharf. Hotel has a nautical feel to it, love the fireplace in the lobby. Don't miss the wine hour every night and get there early, it's always busy! Starbucks is on the corner and the famous Buena Vista Coffee Bar is across the street. Cable car is next door and you hv a 5 block walk to Lombard St. Awesome place to stay!!!

Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi, Carol L! I can see from your picture that you love the local food and drink options like I (or, well, all of us here) do! I hope we got to fill you in on some of our local neighborhood favorites. We're lucky to be at this quiet end as you mention, and the cable car (or even just a good pair of walking shoes) can take you to some great spots. We'll hope to see you next time! As a little incentive to book directly with us: if you see a lower rate elsewhere, feel free to give us a ring. We should always have the best deals on our website, and we also offer a loyalty program, no strings attached :). With membership, you can hop right over from the Buena Vista to enjoy a $10 credit it our own bar. Dangerous!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Finding cheap but yet good hotel rooms in SFO is almost impossible, especially if you want to stay close to the waterfront or around Union Square.

Booked the Argonaut spontaneously through trip it via Booking.com right while I was outside. Perfect! Frindly reception and I was given an immidiate upgrade after I 'complaint' about my neighbors having a crying child in their room (wish this would work on an airplane as well...)

You get a voucher for a free glass at wine as well upon check-in - nice!

The hotel is a good base to venture out and explore San Francisco. A cable car station is right next door as well as several good (even though touristy) restaurants.

The rooms are not the typical hotel rooms you would normally expect. They have a nice beamed roof with brick walls (at least the outer ones)

Extremely well stocked minibar. Almost like a small supermarket.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thanks, Sascha K. It sounds like you are a boutique hotel fan, and I'm glad the character of our historic building contributed that extra charm to your stay! It is true that there are a lot of popular tourist restaurants at the waterfront, though our team can definitely point you in the direction to check out some of the neighborhood gems next time. I just love your joke about the airlines -- so true! -- and I'm glad that our team helped make sure your stay here was so smooth. We'll share your kudos with them! Thanks.
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We recently stayed for 5 nights at the Argonaut. On check-in we discovered our travel agent had not specified a king room for our honeymoon. The check-in clerk was able to upgrade us to a bay view room for the final 3 nights, and gave us a bottle of champagne and dessert too. Very generous and helpful given that it wasn't their error.

Rooms are spacious, and modern. Lovely toiletries, large in room safe and free wifi with Kimpton in-touch membership (free). Very comfortable beds. USB charging station on bed-side table - perfect for iphone/kindle/iPad.

Mini bar drinks and snacks very expensive and not good value. $3 for water is ridiculous. However, with Kimpton InTouch membership 'raid the mini-bar' you get $10 credit towards cost of items from the mini bar, also mitigated by the frree wine every evening 1700-1800.
Wine hour also great opportunity to meet and chat with other guests, which we really enjoyed. Hotel has some bikes which are free to borrow (we didn't use them). Air con a little noisy.

Location is perfect for tourists - next to the end of the Hyde-Powell cable car and 2 blocks from the end of the F line street car line, which runs along the wharf and into the city through Market street. Loads of restaurants nearby and close to ferry terminals for Alcatraz and Bay ferries. Also close to GoCars and bike hire. Near the start of bike route over GGB too.

Room Tip: Consider bay view room.
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thanks, Docsology, and congrats on your recent nuptials! I'm delighted that the Argonaut will always be a highlight of your honeymoon memories.
I'm grateful that you've highlighted some of our programs here like the wine and bikes. I should add that the loyalty club, Kimpton InTouch, is free to join, and that $10 credit is now valid toward EITHER the minibar in the room OR the "real bar" at the Blue Mermaid Chowderhouse & Bar downstairs. So if you'd like to rock the nautical experience with a dark & stormy at the bar, you can be our guest :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here on a recent tour round California from the UK and we were overwhelmed by how great this place was. All staff were super attentive, friendly and knowledgable, from the second we arrived through to getting in the taxi to head back to the airport. The service we received was the best I have ever received in any hotel worldwide. We were lucky enough to receive a complimentary upgrade on our room, meaning we had a Golden Gate view. This was the icing on the cake of a beautiful room; spacious, fun and full of charm (particularly loved the animal print robes).
Great location meant we could wander up and down those hills all day knowing that there would be a fireside drink and a place to rest our feet as we got back on an evening.

Similarly to other reviews while the hotel and accommodation were exemplary, we felt the breakfast was a little lack lustre. The restaurant itself is a great space and the food was tasty (if not a tad cold) but we couldn't help but notice that the serving staff weren't anywhere near on a service level with those working in and around hotel reception. Maybe they're just not morning people!

We fell in love with San Fran and also with The Argonaut. We would love to come back. Soon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Hooray! Thanks, Holmesyboy_uk. It's great to hear that you have a crush on SF and on our hotel. That fireside wine party is indeed a great way to cap off the day, and many of our guests impress me with how far they've managing to walk and bike during the day. All while we lazy locals have stayed glued to our chairs/posts :). Maybe when you're back, you should wear one of those funny animal print robes down to the reception. It has been done before (rarely) and always cracks up the other guests...
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel was so so good. We had a four night stay and from the moment we arrived the staff were exceptional. A brilliant position right on the wharf. A short walk to everywhere really. First Tram stop right around the corner. Busy area during the day but quiet at night. The hotel has a lovely design and layout. The bedroom and bathroom were extremely comfortable with everything you could wish for. Isn't it wonderful when you find such a lovely hotel with great staff. Definitely makes your holiday. Highly recommended classification without a doubt.

Room Tip: I always request a quiet location within the hotel. It seems to work as we certainly had that.
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thanks so much, HelenWadd. I love it when guests take the time to let our team know that the experience here made their holiday. What a high compliment, and gratifying for all of us in the service business!
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Found this hotel on Tripadvisor and made my reservation with points from my credit card. Both my wife and I were really looking forward to visiting the Argonaut based on the reviews. I can say that this hotel exceeded my expectations. The service from the Front Desk, the Concierge, the Housekeeping Service, and the FREE Wine / Beer tasting in the evening made this trip memorable for both of us. Having a location right around the corner from the beginning of the Cable Car to being right next door to the Cannary and The Wharf makes this the perfect location in San Fran for a visit. I cannot recommend this hotel higher! You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All of the rooms appeared beautiful!
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hi, Magcigar!

"Awesome" is just the word we love to see! I'm glad you loved the locale here and of course a free nightly wine party never hurts, does it? I hope you got to sample some of the chef's chowder. Crab and corn is the huge hit. Before you come to see us again, make sure to join our loyalty club so you can also enjoy a $10 "Raid the Bar" credit on each stay. It's now good in either the "real bar" or for the minibar in your room. Cheers!!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I recently visited San Francisco and had the pleasure of staying at The Argonaut Hotel located near Fisherman's Wharf. The hotel was great but who really stood out was this delightful Chinese woman named Laverne. Absolute pleasure to deal with and quite frankly, the reason I'm writing this review. (She's that good)
My wife and I have a small bed & breakfast in Cape Cod and would hire her to run our business in a heartbeat...as a matter of fact, I just might be calling Laverne. Thanks for taking such good care of us and we'll definitely be returning next summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a bay view of Alcatraz and/or the Golden Gate Bridge.
Green Features: Very progressive hotel in that, they are very pet friendly!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Lucky for us, I think that rockstar employee is pretty well in love with San Francisco and unlikely to bail on us for the East Coast, but I can't blame you for wanting to snatch her up! I'm so happy that you loved our crew and the stay overall.
The views are definitely great this time of year when the fog has let up and you can get that clear view of the bay, the Golden Gate Bridge, or Alcatraz from our View category rooms. And, heck, even if you economize with an interior room, it's a hop-skip-and-a-jump to get to the little Aquatic Park vista at the water's edge!

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!