“Would love to come back one day...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

Save Saved
You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (North Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Plan your Baycation Now
Ranked #7 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Springfield, Ohio
“Would love to come back one day...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel was gorgeous and the staff was always friendly and helpful. I wish that I would have caught more of their names. The only one I can remember at the moment was Stephen and he was wonderful. Anything that we needed, they were willing to assist or take care of themselves. The hotel was a little more expensive that we normally would pay, but the location, view (straight out of my window was Alcatraz), and staff made the extra money so worth it. They also gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne due to it being our anniversary. Loved every minute of it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thanks so much, Renee K! This is exactly what we love to read. I'm thrilled that Stephen and the rest of the crew here helped make the stay so memorable. I realize the view of Alcatraz and the bay doesn't hurt, either, but that's something for which our team can't claim the credit :)! We are looking forward to seeing all the boats out there for America's Cup very soon...

3,456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a good touristy location, helpful staff and we found it to be impeccably clean. They also have a free wine tasting hour which was a great touch.
The only downsides were overpriced tour recommendations, one of which (the bike company) we found to be a really negative experience. Although not strictly the hotel's fault, we chose this company on their advice and it left a somewhat sour taste. The food also wasn't great and the rooms a little poky for the price.
Overall though we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hi, WendyandTim! Thanks for visiting us from China! I'm glad that you felt we tried hard and you had a great stay overall. It is too bad, though, that you were not able to enjoy our four first-come, first-served daily bike rentals. They are free at 8am each morning, and since (you're right!) bike rental doesn't come cheaply in SF, it is a great option for a saving a bit. Hopefully we will be able to see you again in the future?!
Federal way
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Very pricey but it is a great hotel. Great location! Had my dog with me so really enjoyed the fact it was right next to the park. Right on fishermans wharf. Have to walk a bit to get to pier 39 & 33 (where the ferry to alcratez is). The rooms were a ways from the elevator. Were very lovely rooms. Staff were very nice. I let them know the issues with my room and stay. And they fixed it right away. The bell hop/door folks were very funny. Totally recommend!

• Stayed June 2013
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi, Cadetshorty! You are a person after my heart (and 5'3" stature!).
I'm glad you loved our quirky bellman/doorman team and that the front desk was helpful, too! I hope we were able to get you a pet bed or bowl if you needed one. Lavon at the desk is our pet guru and she keeps the little treat box out front stocked at all times, too! I hope we will get to host y'all again soon...
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked through British Air. I think we would have gotten a much better rate direct with the hotel. Location can't be beat -- close to the water, Marina, Presidio, etc but away from the loud crowds of Fishermans Wharf. Room was long and really narrow. Tight for 2 people with luggage etc. view was of the interior roof and had to keep shutters closed due to proximity of rooms across the way. Happy hour was jammed...could not get a seat. So the nice touch of that was lost. Had chowder in the Blue Mermaid restaurant which was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior facing room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, Jan0404ok,

Thanks for visiting us! It's too bad that there were no seats left in the lobby... I'm a bit late now, but if you come again, please feel free to enjoy your drink in the restaurant, where they have extra seats most night at the hour and would be more than happy to tempt you with their calamari, oysters Rockefeller, or chowders... the list goes on! As far as sleeping room size goes, ours are some of the very biggest in the city on average, though I know it's all relative, of course.
We're glad you had a great time and felt the location was perfect! That's the best on a vacation, isn't it?
Sandnes, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We got this hotel recommended by a local friend, and we were very happy that we followed his advice. We were a family group of 9 within an age range of 5 to 70 years staying here for 3 nights. Everything was just great! The staff is friendly and helpfull, the rooms are clean and the food is great. Combined with an excellent location, this is just a no-brainer. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi, Papa Traveling! I see you are from my ancestral lands of Norway - lucky you! What a beautiful country. I loved visiting their for a family reunion when I was 11, and it is high time I get back there... in any case, this is about YOU and your kind review, so thank you for your commendation and please know that I will pass it along to the team, particularly those stellar housekeepers :)! Cheers!
Dalton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here on a girls trip to San Fran June 13-16. I've stayed here before 7 years ago and they still are the best place to stay! Location is near so many places you can walk to and close to transportation. There is a restaurant located in hotel and very good food. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi, SavannahGA55,
I am so glad you remembered us 7 years later and came back to see us again! Thanks for eating some of chef's tasty treats, as well. Did you get to sit outside? We are expecting that to be the THING TO DO for the America's Cup season coming up here at the Waterfront!
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel blew away our expectations!!! Everyone was SO friendly and very helpful whenever we needed help with a hotel request (xtra towels, razors, directions, etc)...Our room was the Specialty room with a King bedroom and a separate living area..Bathroom was AMAZING! Cable cars fun way to get home from Union Square and getting out to the wharf is a great way to see the city. NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THIS HOTEL..>WILL STAY HERE AGAIN FOR SURE!! I wish I was there right now!! :-) THE BEDS AND PILLOWS ARE AMAZING!!!!!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have views of BOTH the Golden Gate AND Alcatraz!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi, ScottsdaleHP!

Thanks so much for your five-star review. I'm delighted to hear a good time was had by all! The corner Specialty Suites do have incredible views, don't they :)? The mattresses are Sealy pillowtops -- they are my favorite, too. You'll find them at most of our hotels. We do have a new hotel in Sedona if you want a quick getaway, as well, but perhaps you can come back here soon to escape the heat!

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!