“Fantastic Boutique Hotel in the Centre of SFO” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

Save Saved
You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (North Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 25% with AAA
Ranked #7 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Boutique Hotel in the Centre of SFO”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as we recovered from jetlag prior to embarking on a road trip to Vegas. As soon as we got to the hotel we were very happy. The hotel had a great feel about it due to its unique decor and very friendly staff.

We arrived at about 16:50 in the afternoon and were surprised to learn that the hotel did a hosted wine hour from 17:00 to 18:00 where all guests essentially get a free bar for an hour. Needless to say we dumped the bags and were straight back downstairs! A great welcoming after a very long journey.

The hotel location was excellent. We had been to Fisherman's Wharf about 16 years ago and found it a bit too touristy for our liking. This hotel was ideally placed as it was on the very edge of Fisherman's wharf close to the water front, close to the bus and trolly bus stops and within easy walking distance of a large number of restaurants.

The hotel breakfast was not included in the room but you did get a voucher for continental breakfast which you can top up for not much money to get a hot plate of food. For example we each paid $7 (plus tip) for unlimited coffee and juice, a muffin, a bowl of fruit, a hot plate of bacon, potatoes and scrambled eggs.

If we travel back to San Francisco in the near future then we would definitely stay here again.

One thing to note is that there is currently (April/May 2013) large scale road works happening right out side the front of the hotel. It causes no disruption so when your taxi looks like it is entering a building site don't worry it is fine!

Room Tip: Avoid a ground floor street facing room as they are right on the street and people can see in!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello, Simon! Oh, boy, I can just picture what you mean about the taxi approach in. I'm thrilled you found the whole experience so welcoming and smooth, and YES, location, location, location, right? We are lucky to be at the western edge of the waterfront, close enough to the conveniences, but out the hustle-and-bustle a bit. Ghirardelli square is a nice short walk, and it's always fun to dip your toes in the aquatic park beach inlet! Sometimes cubicle life gets oppressive and we simply have to run out there ourselves :).

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
NYC, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Upon arrival, it is clear that there is a major construction project going on that was never mentioned. Other hotels, Four Seasons and Baglione, that I have enjoyed have always made a point of explaining any significant issues that might affect my stay before my arrival so that I might make an informed decision. It is not appropriate for the first reference to a major disruption to be the manager asking if you want to leave.

The apologies only continue. Sorry the valet takes so long but there is construction. Sorry the noise is so early but it is the City of San Francisco. Sorry the telescope is missing from the suite like advertised prominently on the web but it was broken. Sorry the breakfast is cold but we do not use heaters.

There were a couple good points. The suite overall is lovely and is not as cheesy as the lobby or hallways. The room service is quicker then I have ever experienced which makes the cold toast confounding.

This is a three star hotel and Kimpton is a three star chain.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello, mdski,

As other reviewers have noted, the city roadwork in front of the hotel is typically no disruption at all. It is true that it is not very pretty -- unless you like to watch the miracle of concrete curing, which is actually pretty cool -- but, as you noted, the beauty, views, quiet, and cleanliness of rooms is still going strong here. That is the principle reason we have not reached out to customers to advise them of the roadwork prior to their arrival. We can honestly say that guest after guest (and reviewer after reviewer) has been pleasantly surprised to find that it's 'business as usual' aboard our ship. Your speedy-yet-strangely-cold toast is not normal, though, and neither is valet delay, so I'll have to look into those issues. Not okay, so thank you for letting us know!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I know I'm a little late but this is a beautiful, unique hotel that deserves a great review. The staff was friendly and very accommodating with our early arrival from the east coast. The hotel is close to everything, you can walk to fisherman's wharf, the cable cars are nearby to go downtown, several restaurants etc. Breakfast in the bar next door is very cheap and the food was great. My husband and I stayed for my birthday week and every staff member I encountered on my birthday wished me Happy Birthday and was very friendly. As someone who appreciates little details this was a nice touch. The rooms are beautifully decorated and quiet. The whole property has a nautical feel that fits perfectly with the location. The wine hour provided by the hotel was a nice kickoff for the evening but very popular. Overall a great birthday getaway!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello, IslandPrincess! I'm thrilled that we made you feel like royalty here on your birthday! That sounds really welcoming. Thanks so much for calling us unique and quiet, too! Some folks don't realize that we are the only boutique property at the Wharf, and that we are at the nice waterfront end away from some of the frenetic end by Pier 39. Glad you got to relax and celebrate - please come back to see us in the years to come?!
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've become a bit of Kimptom Fanboy, having also stayed in Kimptons in Chicago and San Diego, without ever obviously having benefited from this status!

The Argonaut is in keeping with the others: super reception and lobby area. Very good concierge service. Luggage attend a little overworked and brusque. To mind the corridors are fine, if a little drab, and our room was super: roomy, clean, comfortable bed, lovely facilities.

The Argonaut lacks a bar (it has a "resident restaurant" but this shut at 10, as did the bar), and has a substantial amount of construction work going on (couldn't hear it from the rooms at all, but was quite obvious by arriving at or leaving the hotel), and for that reason I can't give it a "5", but we did really lovelthe place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thanks so much, Mr. Kimpton Fanboy! I'm glad you found us up to par for that great Kimpton service and ambiance. I'm glad you enjoyed a quiet stay and, needless to say, the look of your room was so much better than the look of the city's sweating contractors... I suppose we just have to look over the dirt and out to the gorgeous waves!
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed at the Argonaut April 17-21st. It was a beautiful, clean and well run hotel. Our room was fabulous and had a terrific view. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We were there as part of a large group through my husbands employer, so the hotel provided private breakfasts and a dinner. The food was great and the service was stellar. Let me tell you though, the bed was the MOST comfortable bed we have ever had on a vacation!! I didn't want to come back home to my bed after staying there. The linens were so soft and fluffy, what a vacation treat!
The location is great. You can walk anywhere on the wharf or Ghirardelli Square from here. There is plenty of shopping nearby. A trolley stop across the street.
I'd stay at any Kimpton hotel after our visit here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hello, Andrea! Emily here, responding on behalf of David, our fearless leader who is currently enjoying the good life in Cabo (not that we are jealous at all). It sounds like your hubby's employer showed everyone a good time with the private catered events and everything, woohoo! I'm delighted you loved our pillowtop mattresses and sheets as well. Nothing like luxuriating in bed with no alarm on vacation...I'd like to think that the feel of the hotel gives everyone a sense of vacation, even if they are stuck in meetings all day like your spouse :).
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at the Argonaut recently for 3 nights on our first trip to San Fran. It provided the perfect base for us, as it was close to everything we wanted to do. It is a short walk to the Cable Car that will take you to Downtown, and a short walk the other direction to Fisherman's Wharf. The rooms at this hotel are very clean, and uniquely decorated. Room service was well priced and yum. Although the hotel was very busy while we were there, we never heard any noise at night in the halls and had a perfect sleep on the comfortable king size bed. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks, spazwok! Isn't room service a great part of vacationing? I wish I could have it at home... especially the mix of indulgent and health-oriented options form Chef Connolly. Though, yes, I usually can't resist his chowder. I'm glad you enjoyed that and the peace and quiet, too. Come back to see us when you are ready to cross the Pacific once again!
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and was greeted by Jonny the doorman what a great chap, the staff were great the room was very nice. On my wife's birthday the hotel left some wine in our room with a little note from the staff,which was very nice,we walked for miles and managed to walk over the bridge 9 miles there and back,then 5pm came so we relaxed with a glass of wine In the lobby,The hotel is fantastic,and the staff are second to none,all very nice,we shall be back we loved it ..George & Nuala Hinchliffe

Room Tip: They are all great,
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, Hinchliffes! I'm so glad the staff and their note made Mrs H feel special as you rang in her 60th in style. Those 9 miles over the bridge and back sure must have helped keep you young, and you certainly earned your evening of free wine in the lobby. Hopefully you had a couple of glasses ;)!

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!