“Great Birthday Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

Save Saved
You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (North Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
AAA Members Save More
Ranked #7 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Birthday Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I know I'm a little late but this is a beautiful, unique hotel that deserves a great review. The staff was friendly and very accommodating with our early arrival from the east coast. The hotel is close to everything, you can walk to fisherman's wharf, the cable cars are nearby to go downtown, several restaurants etc. Breakfast in the bar next door is very cheap and the food was great. My husband and I stayed for my birthday week and every staff member I encountered on my birthday wished me Happy Birthday and was very friendly. As someone who appreciates little details this was a nice touch. The rooms are beautifully decorated and quiet. The whole property has a nautical feel that fits perfectly with the location. The wine hour provided by the hotel was a nice kickoff for the evening but very popular. Overall a great birthday getaway!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello, IslandPrincess! I'm thrilled that we made you feel like royalty here on your birthday! That sounds really welcoming. Thanks so much for calling us unique and quiet, too! Some folks don't realize that we are the only boutique property at the Wharf, and that we are at the nice waterfront end away from some of the frenetic end by Pier 39. Glad you got to relax and celebrate - please come back to see us in the years to come?!

3,505 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've become a bit of Kimptom Fanboy, having also stayed in Kimptons in Chicago and San Diego, without ever obviously having benefited from this status!

The Argonaut is in keeping with the others: super reception and lobby area. Very good concierge service. Luggage attend a little overworked and brusque. To mind the corridors are fine, if a little drab, and our room was super: roomy, clean, comfortable bed, lovely facilities.

The Argonaut lacks a bar (it has a "resident restaurant" but this shut at 10, as did the bar), and has a substantial amount of construction work going on (couldn't hear it from the rooms at all, but was quite obvious by arriving at or leaving the hotel), and for that reason I can't give it a "5", but we did really lovelthe place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thanks so much, Mr. Kimpton Fanboy! I'm glad you found us up to par for that great Kimpton service and ambiance. I'm glad you enjoyed a quiet stay and, needless to say, the look of your room was so much better than the look of the city's sweating contractors... I suppose we just have to look over the dirt and out to the gorgeous waves!
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed at the Argonaut April 17-21st. It was a beautiful, clean and well run hotel. Our room was fabulous and had a terrific view. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We were there as part of a large group through my husbands employer, so the hotel provided private breakfasts and a dinner. The food was great and the service was stellar. Let me tell you though, the bed was the MOST comfortable bed we have ever had on a vacation!! I didn't want to come back home to my bed after staying there. The linens were so soft and fluffy, what a vacation treat!
The location is great. You can walk anywhere on the wharf or Ghirardelli Square from here. There is plenty of shopping nearby. A trolley stop across the street.
I'd stay at any Kimpton hotel after our visit here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hello, Andrea! Emily here, responding on behalf of David, our fearless leader who is currently enjoying the good life in Cabo (not that we are jealous at all). It sounds like your hubby's employer showed everyone a good time with the private catered events and everything, woohoo! I'm delighted you loved our pillowtop mattresses and sheets as well. Nothing like luxuriating in bed with no alarm on vacation...I'd like to think that the feel of the hotel gives everyone a sense of vacation, even if they are stuck in meetings all day like your spouse :).
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at the Argonaut recently for 3 nights on our first trip to San Fran. It provided the perfect base for us, as it was close to everything we wanted to do. It is a short walk to the Cable Car that will take you to Downtown, and a short walk the other direction to Fisherman's Wharf. The rooms at this hotel are very clean, and uniquely decorated. Room service was well priced and yum. Although the hotel was very busy while we were there, we never heard any noise at night in the halls and had a perfect sleep on the comfortable king size bed. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks, spazwok! Isn't room service a great part of vacationing? I wish I could have it at home... especially the mix of indulgent and health-oriented options form Chef Connolly. Though, yes, I usually can't resist his chowder. I'm glad you enjoyed that and the peace and quiet, too. Come back to see us when you are ready to cross the Pacific once again!
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and was greeted by Jonny the doorman what a great chap, the staff were great the room was very nice. On my wife's birthday the hotel left some wine in our room with a little note from the staff,which was very nice,we walked for miles and managed to walk over the bridge 9 miles there and back,then 5pm came so we relaxed with a glass of wine In the lobby,The hotel is fantastic,and the staff are second to none,all very nice,we shall be back we loved it ..George & Nuala Hinchliffe

Room Tip: They are all great,
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, Hinchliffes! I'm so glad the staff and their note made Mrs H feel special as you rang in her 60th in style. Those 9 miles over the bridge and back sure must have helped keep you young, and you certainly earned your evening of free wine in the lobby. Hopefully you had a couple of glasses ;)!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

As I read other reviews for this hotel before I booked, I thought I should comment on the hotel myself.

Firstly this hotel is in a great location on the famous Fishermans Wharf and despite extensive roadworks we still found the hotel with no problem. Hotel reception staff were friendly and the lobby is clean and well appointed. We missed the daily wine tasting at 4 PM as were busy but the room was clean and well laid out but we did not get the desirable sea view. We had breakfast in the hotel once and it was huge and filling (if a little pricey) but the other days we visited Pergaminos which is a short walk away and is a little cheaper.

The concierge was very helpful for local advice and the proximity to the wharf for Alcatraz tours plus the cable car (2 mins away) was great. We also rented bikes next door to the hotel and cycled the bridge to Sausalito and ferry home which was great.

Finally the bell staff were helpful with our luggage on departure and it is well worth checking out the Maritime museum (accessible from the hotel loby entrance) as this is a free and very interesting.

All in all we had a great stay and my wife enjoyed her first trip to the mainland US and the lovely city of San Francisco very much.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a sea view then ask for that if you can.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello, Ashchesire!

I'm glad that the Argonaut lived up to the reviews you had dutifully read about the staff, location, etc! It is great to hear the concierge helped connect you with some good fun, and all the way over to Sausalito, too! You covered some excellent ground. Hopefully next time you will luck into our daily free bike rentals or at least get the chance to kick back at the wine party :).
Yorks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Great location on the edge of Fishermans Wharf. Very friendly and helpful staff. This is one of the friendliest and relaxed hotels that I have stayed in. Rooms were of a very good size, modern and light. It is well worth joining their free membership club as this entitles you to wifi. Very impressed!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you, pyorks! What is the saying, 'membership has its privileges'? I'm glad you enjoyed the perks of Kimpton InTouch. A free $10 out of the minibar is the easy way to MY heart, especially if arriving to a hotel late at night! In all seriousness, thank you for the review. We are glad to read the word "relaxed" because that kind of helpful yet comfortable service is what we strive for every day! Cheers!

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!