“Not worth the money and not the normal service of a Kimpton Hotel.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Fisherman’s Wharf)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Get a $50 dining credit!
Ranked #7 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Carribean
“Not worth the money and not the normal service of a Kimpton Hotel.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

First of all, I was recommended this hotel when I booked. And during the booking process, nothing I read ever mentioned that the entire street in front was under construction or that I might be quite delayed getting a cab. The first day it took me 45 minutes to get a cab out front. The service was poor. They did not seem to care that I was here. When I asked questions, the front desk seemed bothered. The room was okay. Nothing special, and it was very loud! I felt like the people next to me were sharing my room. I could hear everything they said. The room service food was limited and was from the restaurant in the building. And that restaurant is really not very good. My chicken sandwich was tough and had no flavor. And lastly I must mention my tv that had volume problems with every channel and a window unit AC unit that never seemed to work and I was hot the entire time. Overall not a normal Kimpton. They get business for being on tourist row in San Fran so I don't think they really cared.

• Stayed February 2013
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hi, Susaneh,
Thanks for coming to all us all the way from the Carribean! We are indeed blessed with an incredible location, but we do not rest on our laurels! I am disappointed to see that you had a mixed experience with our staff, who normally are known for service that is kind and helpful while also natural and "normal," never stilted. We try to practice that Kimpton promise each and every day and hope you'll give us another shot!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Woolwich, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, John the doorman was instantly there to assist us. The staff were incredibly friendly.

We had an 'inside' king room (no upgrades were available when we checked in). The view wasn't great but the room was nice and quite clean. The only noise I could hear was from people loudly walking/stomping on the floor above ours (we were on the 2nd floor). I always bring a small fan for white noise but I ended up requesting a humidifier from the front desk due to catching a cold and that really helped with both the noise issue and the cold.

The location can't be beat. It is just close enough to the touristy stuff but also just far enough away. The Hyde Street pier across the street is a great place to saunter about without too many crowds.

The Hyde-Powell cable car is across the street but get there early - the crowds can get insane!

My husband and I enjoyed the hot chocolate and wine hours, and the lobby is very comfortable. We used the fitness center as well. I just wish the hotel had a private outside sitting area, but other than that it is awesome and we would go back again.

• Stayed February 2013
Bellevue, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Highs: Spacious rooms decorated in nautical theme, clean, contemporary décor with rustic details at Fisherman's Wharf. Steps away from beautiful views of Golden Gate, Alcatraz, and Ghirardelli. Rooms furnished nicely with every amenity - flat screen tv, mini-bar, iron, hair dryer, magnifying mirror, free Wi-Fi, lots of outlets for charging devices. Excellent service, attentive concierge, bell hop and front desk. Lows: Call early for your car if Valet parked - took 30 minutes for Valet to bring car around due to high demand and traffic in the area.

Room Tip: Request room 336 - nice view of Ghirardelli.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Topock, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Nice, friendly, clean, quiet, great location, passes with flying colors! Of course it doesn't hurt when weather is in the 70's in February! Wine host in afternoon, hot chocolate , and excellent staff!

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade.....
Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Spent Valentine's week at a Argonaut. From the moment we arrived until we left we were treated fantastic. Rooms were great, bed one of the best I have ever slept on. Hot chocolate in the afternoon, wine tasting in early evening was great for meeting many other travelers. My wife was unhappy about no shower cap, her only complaint. The staff was superior.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We are a family of four who stayed unfortunately only one night at the Argonaut, we were so impressed with this lovely hotel, it was beautifully clean and had great character with its nautical theme. The Doormen were sooooooo nice and helpful, the people on the Concierge were also very nice and friendly. The location is fantastic, everything we needed for a quick visit was within one block, we took a tour around the city and over the golden gate on an open bus, which was hillarious fun, we had amazing ice creams at "Normans" twice, once at 11pm (The Argonaut Doorman took us, I wish I could remember his name he was so nice) and once the next day because the ice creams were so delicious!! We walked around the Fishermans Wharf and had a fun ride on the outside of the tram to Union Square and we walked back to the Hotel which was great but we had sore shin muscles the next day from walking down all the steep roads!! We also took a limosine back to the airport instead of a taxi, The limosine drivers name was Rufus,(phone 415 377-6807) we would highly recommend him also for any travel needs, he was a similar price to a taxi and he was a real gentleman, very punctual, very friendly, and helpful and his limo was lovely and clean and it was a real pleasure to meet him.

Back to the Argonaut, you can't go past this hotel to stay in we would give it 5 stars if we could and we would love to go back and stay again - for longer next time!! Thank you to the staff at the Argonaut.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Positive: The hotel and rooms looks great. Nautical theme, exposed wood and brick, themed pillows. Little touches make the stay fun and exciting.
Neutral: The staff was slightly above average in terms of friendliness and professionalism. Above average in general but below the normal Kimpton excellence level. (For example, I had to ask for my Kimpton InTouch minibar credit at check-in because they forgot to give it to me. Little insignificant details make the difference between good and great.)
Negative: Noise noise and more noise. At night I could hear people above me walking around. In the morning I could hear either someone outside or next door talking. There was a door in the hallway that kept opening and closing every few minutes. I was awoken by the sound of nearby construction and jackhammering (this one is a temporary problem and not the hotel's fault really). Lighting was also an issue. The wooden blinds without curtains make it impossible to block out all the light of the shopping center across the way.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the Anchorage Square shopping center.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thanks, Miranda -
We're all about going from good to great here, and delivering great (or even EXCEPTIONAL) on a truly consistent basis, so we appreciate your comments. I am bummed that we missed the friendly Raid the Minibar Card, though that's great that you did receive your Kimpton InTouch goodies (even if you shouldn't have to ask for them!). I can't account for the heavy stepper above your head, and am quite confused about shopping center light. I want to avoid a pun about shedding light on the subject, but am failing --clearly! Anchorage Square is a block away, so perhaps the light came from something else. I will pop into an East-facing room at night and check it out! Thanks!

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!