“DO NOT VALET HERE!!! Would never pay for this hotel. Extra charges, forgetfulness.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Argonaut Hotel

You added Argonaut Hotel to your Saves list
Argonaut Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Jefferson Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94109 (North Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 25% with AAA
Ranked #5 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Preface: We are not high-brow, snotty travelers. This was supposed to be a luxury stay for us to celebrate a baby and anniversary that we could only afford with BA Miles. If I had enough money to pay for a room, I would still not have stayed here.

I really loved the look of this hotel after eating at it's adjacent Blue Mermaid restaurant. We thought "we can never afford this but would love to stay here one day". So for the weekend before valentine's day we used our BA miles and booked a night. The only available bay view room (of the golden gate, which was an awesome view-room 418) had two queen beds. However, these are SMALL! No kings were available for an upgrade. My husband and I actually slept in separate beds. He is 6'1" and it would not have worked for him. The beds were very uncomfortable, as well. Neither of us slept at all. The decor was great (our baby's room is nautical) but the queen beds are tiny and the room smelled really weird. I am pregnant and sensitive to smells, but my husband even agreed it smelled bad. So, other than the smells, here are the cons:

The check-in was so fast I thought they had missed something. Turns out, they did.

1. We signed up for the Kimpton rewards program before coming to get free wi-fi and the $10 mini bar credit. I had to catch a bellhop in the hall for the password and I just found a credit card charge 2 weeks later for $17.00 when we only took our $10 credit's worth of bottled water from the mini-bar. That was frustrating from such a fancy hotel. On check-out they said we did not have any charges, and I get home and find this on my bill.

2. I had also called ahead of time and asked that something nice be in our room for our anniversary and to celebrate our pregnancy. They forgot and the man's note I talked to was nowhere to be found. We had to wait over an hour for them to bring something up. We almost fell asleep waiting.

3. Word to the wise: The Blue Mermaid charges WAY more per item for room service and their in-dining prices are not accurate on the menu in the hotel room. Just get a to go order from the restaurant and save yourself the extra charges, cost, and tip.

4. I ACTUALLY SAW the valet back a car into another right in front of the hotel. There were no other cars around and no reason to get so close, but he did it. We had read reviews about this and this is true of the hotel. We parked at Ghirardelli Square thanks to other reviews, and it was $32/night instead of $46-47 which I think is what the hotel charges for wreckless driving. Their concierge was actually the best part of the trip and she gave us an easier, cheaper transportation option so we did not have to wait in the long line for the trolley. We left our car in the garage the whole night and it was fine. The garage takes cash and credit cards.

5. The cider/wine hour was set up late, after 5, so we had to wait an extra 15 minutes for the hot cider to come out which almost made us late for another event.

6. The room was lacking normal hotel amenities, like a basic shower cap, etc. That was sad to see for such and expensive place.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. Go stay at the Ritz or Fairmont or something comparable in price to this before paying for bad service. I really was disappointed in all of the front desk staff and the valet and cocktail hour staff. The concierge was the only pro.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a view if you must stay at this hotel. Room 418-around that area has Golden Gate and Ghir...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We went with another couple and had a great time. Great location with trolley access and went to the Warf several times. I got to see a ball game at ATT Park and went to some of the local Irish pubs...lots of fun except my Dodgers lost. I thought the rooms were nice and clean...and trust me for my wife to approve of a hotel is a big thing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Zell am See, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Decided to stay at this hotel after an impressive stay at another great Kimpton Hotel, the Alexis Hotel in Seattle, and I could not have been luckier. This must be one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at in recent years.

I received excellent treatment from the staff, $10 voucher for the minibar and free internet for being a Kimpton InTouch member. The location is definitely the best I could have possibly asked for with many great restaurants all around the Fisherman's Wharf. The cable cart and the tourist buses start and end a few meters away.

The room was very clean, had a good size, great bed, excellent TV and a nice bathroom. I could not fault this hotel and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Morristown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

The Argonaut is clean and modern, and the nautical theme works given the location on the Wharf, it's less like SpongeBob than their web site photos suggest.

The problem is with their staff and service. My company arranged a business meeting through the Argonaut, and the staff was inflexible in negotiating rates for a block of rooms. They made mistakes in booking people for rooms, specifically telling several guests there were no rooms in the reserved block when in fact there were.

Overall, their staff seems inexperienced and untrained. I noticed this at another Kimpton Hotel in NYC (Eventi). Examples at the Argonaut included friendly but not very helpful bell staff, you ask for a cab and they eventually call one. One of my colleagues had asked the concierge for a cab and was told she had to ask the bellman "because otherwise they won't get the tips." A concierge that won't help - I've never heard that one before.

Tip for Kimpton management: invest heavily in staff training to improve service. You have some nice properties, but are a far cry from the major leagues when it comes to creating positive customer experiences.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in between going to New York and Las Vegas ,although initially we had an interior view we upgraded to a bay view which allowed us stunning views over the bay and Alcatraz,we found the staff helpful and friendly.We will definately return

• Stayed February 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We chose the Argonaut because we got a great special on Travelzoo for four nights. We arrived around 2pm, check in was at 3pm but they had a room ready. i highly recommend becoming an In Touch kimpton member, you get special discounts and a $10 credit to raid the mini bar! The room location was initially disappointing we faced another building and the view overlooked a rooftop as well. We asked the desk clerk Sarah for a different room and she readily gave us a room on the third floor over looking a courtyard in the Cannery, excellent!

The concierge helped us rent a go car which was fun but it was cold that day, if you rent one bring a small blanket to cover your legs will definitely make the ride more enjoyable, I also reccommend buying a muni pass they are about $20 for three days but you get unlimited rides on the cable cars, buses and trolley. A ride on a cable car is $6 each way.

Staff was very friendly, doorman at night was hilarious, room was well kept and clean, would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third or fourth floor quiter and a better views.
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I chose the Argonaut Hotel because of all the great reviews here on TripAdvisor! Being that I didn't want to travel far to all the touristy places (I only had 2 days in San Fran) - and did not rent a car - this seemed like a great choice.

PLUS I am not fond of staying at anything lower than 3 stars... if you are going on vacation - why settle!??!?!

Our taxi ride from SFO to to Argonaut around 7pm (so not too bad for rush hour) cost my hubby & I $55 plus tip.

This hotel is conveniently located on the quiet end of the 'strip' on Jefferson in an adorable brick building! The doorman was super friendly and the front desk staff were super. They were even well aware of our new puppy that we went to San Fran to pick up.

They are super pet friendly here with beds and dog treats and even a park across the street for your pet to relieve itself!

We chose the King Suite and got a super deal! I think hotels in this category range in the $250 per night range - we got two nights worth for under $400 Canadian on Expedia. We checked to book for a friend after we booked and it jumped to $305 per night!

Anyways - the lobby was very charming - being we are off the coast - and our rooms were spacious with an HDMI compatible Flat Screen TV, King bed which was comfy and clean sheets and bedding. The bathroom was updated and the shower was well equipped with huge containers of wall mounted shampoo/condition and shower gel! There was a desk and lounge chair.

Our room faced other rooms and the roof so no view - which was fine by me.

The only complaint that I really had was the rooms smelled musky - but I assume being off the ocean and the age of the property - it is to be expected. A family was staying either above or beside us.. and that was a little annoying when they woke us up at 7am. However once again, older building, less sound proofing I assume.

It was walking distance (about 15 minutes) to the Alcatraz Pier and walking distance to all the great restaurants. Hubby and I even walked 2 streets down to Taylor and took the street car (which he found to be a rip off) to Chinatown and walked back.

Love the location, love the super friendly staff and it was a great resting place to rush and see all the touristy spots, pick up our puppy and be in a comfy clean place close to everything!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Argonaut Hotel? Share your experiences!