“Best avoided” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #138 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
New Haven, CT
“Best avoided”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here because it was reasonably priced and we figured we didn't need anything fancy just to sleep in SF. Big mistake. The bed linens and the bathroom were clean enough, but just barely. The bathroom was cramped and I kept hitting my head on the shelf above the sink while I was washing my face. The room was dark, the bed not comfortable, and there were dirty fingerprints all over the door. The walls were paper thin and we could hear everything going on in neighboring rooms and outside. The other visitors were noisy at late hours, and on our last night we were woken up by people yelling and a car peeling out of the parking lot at 1am. I don't know how the breakfast was, since it began so late we were gone long before it even started.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Belfast. northern ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

had 2 rooms booked here. Was a bit wary after i booked with some reviews, but the rooms where extremely clean and the beds where very confortable and had a great nights sleep. you could hear traffic noise , but nothing that bad that would disrupt your sleep.
location was excellent, and with so much time spent away from the hotel, it was basically only used for sleeping. The parking was fine, there was plenty of spaces on a first come basis, but lots of parking around the area if you did not get a space. Breakfast was none existent coffee and bun, but i knew this before i booked, and the IHOP directly across was fine for breakfast.
lots of eating places around the area, and extremely safe, which was what we wanted. For the price we paid it was fantastic, and would have no hesitation recommending this to others, if you get a good deal

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MANNHEIM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Having stayed at SF several times I realized that you pay more for the location part than for the actual room-part, so this time around I choose prize over location - and I did not regret it.
The room comes with free parking, in SF a real value. Now, the location is not that bad, around the corner is a Bus stop (Bus Nr.30) which gets you in ten minutes to the action of Fisherman's Wharf.
Check-In went fast, but when I entered my room 219 (elevator is on location) it stank horribly. Obviously house-keeping was aware of the situation because an additional working fan was in the room and the air-condition on high. I gave it two hours to clear out the stink, but it did not help. So I asked for another room and got one. This one was in order, a bit run down, but clean and comfortable, the shower was the best on the whole two-week trip. Breakfast in the small Cafe on property was just not good, they opened after 7 a.m. and were not friendly at all. Across the street is an Ihop. In the area are lots of restaurants of every color.
So I probably will stay there again.

Room Tip: Third floor is best because of the street-noise
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Brunei
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is a good location, you can walk in about 20 minutes to Fisherman's Wharf, there are plenty of diners in the area like the Ihop and Mel's Drive-In, both very good. Lombard street is a busy road, and there are lots of city buses you can catch for $2 a trip, anywhere you want to go as your ticket lasts 2 and a half hours. The rooms are ok, but no outlook from most of them, so a bit dark. Not that you would stay much in the room anyway. Parking is a bit tight as there are only a few places. Breakfast is provided by the little cafe next door, but only coffee and muffins. Best to go to the diner. Paid about $100 which is average. Staff on desk very helpful. Take a walk up to the roof where you get a nice view of SF including the bridge if it is not too foggy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The welcome was warm and the reception helpfull.
The rooms were kept clean.
The price interesting for SF at that time of year.
A litlle out of the attraction areas it was easy to take the bus or a taxi.
The worst part is the insulation, the noise of the street would go even to the rooms very far from there.
On one night we had a party of people drinking, smoking and talking very loud just a few yards from our door. We had to ask 3 times before they moved to another place inside the motel.
Smoking should be banned not only from the rooms but also from the inner balcony.
the breakfirst is really simple. Taken next door in a mini coffee shop you can read other travelers reviews but the worst part of it is the fact that you don't feel welcome at all, a pity.
I must be getting old but, because of these 2 points, I'm dissatisfied by this stay.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are good rooms (speaking of noise)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed in this hotel ,i visited in SAN FRANCISCO . The hotel it self was very nice ,the room is very comfortable and very clean. the staff @ hotel husband and wife wrorking is very helpful .staff name is Amar he help us book tour for us and help us for parking .

Hotel need to update old TV to flate screen TV and comcast sport channel then peolple can watch GAINTS Game

Bed thing in this hotel is break fast and staff in cafe is rud but who care we went cross street eat in IHOP .

Parking is Limited first come first serve bases

we came back in hotel but not for breakfast

Room Tip: Room 205 is nice room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I arrived on June 26 to discover the parking lot was being resurfaced and parking would not be available for three days. I was directed to a parking lot that had meters which needed to be fed every two hours, which I found to be completely unacceptable. Who wants to feed a meter every two hours when touring a city! They were unable to direct me to safe, long-term parking and did not offer to even assist me in finding a sufficient lot. I was lucky enough to confer with another guest who had discovered a private, overnight lot for $25 dollars a night. So, I had to shell out $50 for parking, which was supposed to be included in my stay. I found the staff to be very condescending and totally unhelpful, they were "sorry, but there is nothing we can do." When I said that I wanted to cancel the reservation, I was then told that I would get a 10% discount, which ended up being $19, not even close to 10% of my three night stay! The least they could have done was refund the $50 that I had to pay for parking.

Rooms themselves were dingy and didn't feel clean. Curtains had stains. No amenities. "Continental breakfast" is a muffin and coffee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Golden Gate? Share your experiences!