“Awesome Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
CA
“Awesome Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

I have stayed here twice and this was the first hostel I ever stayed at. The place as so friendly and accommodating that I assumed all hostels must be like this. Not true. I have stayed at a few other hostels since then and I have to say this place has the most social staff and guests. The GM- Dave is super nice, genuinely interested in your well being, and always willing to help you find a place to hang out. Him and the staff will often hang out and talk with you or go out on the town with you! They sometimes have night time activities and when they don't you can always find a guest to hang out with. The common area is small and thus forces interaction.
Yes there is only one bathroom per floor but I have never had to wait for a bathroom.
This is a great place to stay at if you are visiting the city alone and want to make new friends. Not a place to go to if you need privacy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Hardened hostel veterans create a hostelling experience which is difficult to fault. From the thorough cleaning through to the custom made metal frame beds (which are silent, no matter how many times your room-mates roll over in their sleep, hurrah!), this is one hostel which sets the standard for others to follow. A cosy common room will also make sure you end up getting involved in adventures with other guests. If you are as open minded and as friendly as the staff, you will find a home away from home. If however all you seek is the cheapest bed in town, you will really be missing out on the spirit that is Pacific Tradewinds.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

I just stayed in the Pacific Tradewinds Hostels for the second time in about a year, and it was just as awesome as the last time! This is my favourite hostel I have ever stayed at!!!!

The first time I was in SF (a year ago) I had nothing booked, so I ended up staying in about four different hostels. When I came back, I went straight to this one because not only was this friendliest one; It genuinely felt way more like a home than a hostel. The staff are friendly, know the city, and immediately give you a map and show you the different areas of town. The place itself is central to everything, and minutes from the Muni, BART, and buses!

The beds are clean, the kitchen is big, they have filtered water, computers with internet access, wifi, and good music. You can even make music requests if you want, which is excellent. Usually on weekends (and sometimes weeknights) they will organize outings to bars, 80's nights, etc so even if you don't know where to go you can still go out and have a good time!!

This place is perfect if you are traveling alone, and don't know anyone in the city (like I did)!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

I stayed at this hostel last october mainly because of the great reviews it got from TripAdvisor. As a solo traveller, I often like to stay in hostels to meet other travellers. I have been in many different hostels in the US and across Europe and this one is definitely one of the best!

I was in a 12 bed mixed room next to the common area. At first, I was afraid it would be quite noisy since I was so close of the common area, but the front office closes at midnight, and everybody is quiet after that. I went to bed sometimes before midnight and had no problem to sleep at all (and I'm a very light sleeper). Other night, I stayed up late playing poker with other travellers (very nice), having a few drinks or just talking. There were lots of good people there. The staff were very nice about giving instructions and tips about the city... and were always available.

The beds are very confortable... and the bunk are made of solid steel that doesn't do any noise... even when a 200+ pound guy is trying to get to the upper bed (me!). I really liked the space below the bed to store our personal stuff. I could even put my whole luggage in there and there were lot of free space left. Just bring a padlock.

Now, here are some cons. You have to climb lots of stairs to get up there... but the front desk offered me a glass of water when I checked in the first time (really appreciated). Also, on my floor, there were only one restroom and two showers... but that wasn't a problem for me as I tend to shower early in the night. The showers were very small thought... but everything was super clean! Those are really minor things... and I was aware of all this before making a reservation (thanks TripAdvisor).

Again, the common area was really great to meet people. There were a fridge and a small kitchen for those who wanted to cook (I'm not cooking at home... so I'm not when I'm on vacation as well). Ah, there were also two MACs with Internet access.

The location is near every major public transportation... so no problem there. The neighborhood was very safe as well and I had no problem walking all by myself late at night. Just don't expect something really beautiful around the hostel. It's very close to Chinatown.

For the price, the location, the cleanliness, the staff and the common area, you can't go wrong with this hostel. I would recommend it to other travellers without hesitation and would surely stay there again in my next trip to SF.

• Liked — Price, Cleanliness, Location, Staff, Common Area, Good Beds, Nice way to meet people
  • Disliked — Stairs, Small Showers
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2008

We stayed here, for a week, at the start of our California road trip. We were extremely lucky to find this gem. I have travelled extensively across Europe, Canada and America and this is one of the best hostels I have stayed in.

The staff are extremely helpful and full of lots of useful information on travelling throughout California. Their advice was better than any guide book!

The hostel location couldn't be any better, a short walk to the shopping area, the tourist area, right beside tram and bus stations and right on the rim of Chinatown. Lots of great bars nearby to go out in and also a safe area of the city!

The hostel facilities are clean throughout with a fully kitted kitchen, well kept showers and a cosy living area. The bedrooms were great with decent bunks and good locker space. Free internet and a huge supply of guide books and maps were also available.

The atmosphere inside the hostel was excellent with great nights out organised and you'll meet lots of fellow travellers here.

I can't recommend it more, the staff make this place and they’ll go out of their way to accommodate you.

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — Not much except maybe the stairs up to the top.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

I stayed just two nights at Pacific Tradewinds, but I really liked it! The staff was really friendly and helpful, the hostel was clean and the location was excellent! It was a great, welcoming atmosphere - a lot of fun people staying there. Great with free internet and a good kitchen, comfy beds and no curfew. The bathroom was really small, just one toilet and two showers for the whole floor but at least it was clean. Just too bad I was in SF only for two days, but when I go back I'll definitely return to Pacific Tradewinds!

• Liked — Great atmosphere
  • Disliked — Tiny bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

This hostel is quite interesting, its a few floors big but the rooms are very small and all open so if you like your privacy this is probably not the place for you. It does however give you a great opportunity to meet new people. This hostel attracts quite a quirky crowd and sometimes i didnt feel safe leaving my valuables around but they were all really nice and i had no dramas. The staff at the front desk make you feel really welcome and give you a whole run down of the city. The give a really homely feel to the place. They even provide free internet access. This hostel does not run group tours not does it have evening 'events' but because of the close bond you have with everyone from being in an 'open' room its really easy to get a group together and do stuff which is great if you are a solo traveller. The downside to this place are the bathrooms, although they were clean there was hardley any water pressure (blamed on the effort to stay 'green') and they were really small and your clothes got wet as there was no seperate place to change. The toilets are also fairly 'open' - there is a door but you get full sound effects! They dont offer free breakfast but you do get to use their small kitchen. This hostel is in a great location and close to public transport.

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — The small 'impersonal' bathrooms, lack of organised group activities and being in such open rooms sometimes got annoying.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pacific Tradewinds Hostel? Share your experiences!