“awesome staff” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Tripadvisor Deal $25 Beds
“awesome staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

a great place to stay, staff is super friendly, spent a great amount of time in and met many great people, had a lot of fun. a perfect place to socialize. would even come back to san francisco only to visit this hostel. in addition, a convenient location - chinatown, not much happening around but easy to get around.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Really enjoyed my stay here! It's in the heart of the city and the staff are very kind and helpful.

Really enjoyed the bike recommendation as well. Was affordable and they didn't require a $300/500 hold.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Adored this hostel, the manager Courtney and staff are all awesome, and the vibe is extremely friendly, made a whole bunch of friends who I went out and saw gigs/movies with. Honestly the most fun hostel I've been in. In regards to hostel, rooms clean, bathrooms clean, beds comfy, lots of power outlets, located in a good area close to public transport and food. If I come back to San Fran I will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Very good hostel - friendly staff, full and clean kitchen for use, includes breakfast each morning (simple but FOOD!). Good lounge area for chillin and having a beer. Clean rooms and pretty clean bathrooms. Good price and pretty good location very close to chinatown, close to the embarcadero, metro stations and downtown shopping. Very secure front door entry, and a hike up the stairs to the rooms.
The lounge closes at midnight if I remember correctly? Or you are not supposed to be there or something - I could be wrong but I think that is the case
The lights (Like 40 fluorescent tubes....) come on at 10am, even if the entire room is still sleeping. This is a questionable policy but hey you cant expect your best sleeps in a hostel. Good-size locked drawers for each bed, lots of chargers around. The hostel has space for bike storage, some snack machines, and provides lots of info on stuff to do (and discounts for bike hire, tours, etc).
Not party central, but of course you can find a party if you find the right people. Better as a place to come back to sleep, but if you'd rather be kept up all night with high-energy 20-30 year olds then this isnt the main hostel for that (so whatever your goals are).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I have travelled for 3 months and this was by far the best hostel I stayed at. I had an incredible time I will never forget. The atmosphere is great and you make really quickly contact with other guests (also because the hostel is rather small). I made a lot of friends over there. And the staff is amazing!! They were always cheerful, helped you with everything and they interact a lot with the guest and created a fantastic admosphere. The hostel is very clean, had a great kitchen (with all kinds of free spices) and a lot of activities are organized. I also appreciated that it wasn't a 'party' hostel. That didn't mean that there were no parties in the common room, but it meant that those parties had to move out by 12 midnight. Because it had to be quiet between 12 and 8 am. The location of the hostel is central and in a safe neighborhood.
All in all I can't find any downsides of this hostel. I had a perfect time there. Thank a lot to all of the staff and all the nice and amazing people I met!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I admit that I'm a bit of weary traveller; I haven't taken a vacation for around 6 years and apart from feeling immensely excited that I was visiting San Francisco, I also felt slightly nervous. Although, I had lived in a dorm environment before, I had not stayed in a hostel so I was not sure what to expect when I arrived at the Pacific Tradewinds.

I had a long flight and I was exhausted by the time I arrived. I received a great welcome from one of the staff members who helped me with my bag and offered me some water whilst I checked in - this was much needed and appreciated. I was shown to my dorm and was given a tour of the hostel. The dorm was spacious with four large bunk beds. My bed was freshly made - complete with clean bedding and a fresh towel. I also had a large locker under my bed where I could store my large case and other belongings. I liked that the room was light and airy. I was shown the common area which had a range of useful plug points to charge electronics and two macs where I could browse the web. The kitchen was spacious and well equipped with a great range of utensils and a a shared larder. There was also space to keep personal food items and a large fridge freezer. My floor had tow shower rooms, a toilet and two sinks. There were additional facilities on the third floor of the hostel which one could use if necessary. As the Tradewinds is a small hostel, I never found that I had to cue to use any of the bathroom facilities. I was impressed that was constant hot water and everything was cleaned thoroughly daily.

The amenities were not the only positive of this hostel and in some ways they were not the most important to me. I was struck by the very special energy of this place - it possesses and fosters a real sense of community, friendliness and openness, which even with my limited experience of hostels, I could recognise was unique. I loved that the hostel posted events/ activities that you could do and that they had organised groups events/meals for guests. This meant that you never really felt alone and there was always something to do if you chose to partake. Perhaps, I was lucky, but I found all the staff and guests at the hostel to be very warm friendly people. I was fortunate to establish some firm friendships that made my stay in San Francisco very special and memorable.

I found the hostel was a safe space and there were no instances of theft or inappropriate behaviour. Between 12 - 6 am the hostel went into quiet hours which meant that lights were out and everyone kept noise to a minimum. It was impressive that everyone respected this and were mindful of their fellow guests.

There is a plaque above the reception desk that reads "Be excellent to each other" (or something very close to this!) and this accurately sums up the attitude and approach of this fantastic hostel. The staff and space are truly excellent and I will always remember my time there very fondly.

Thank you to everyone at the Pacific Tradewinds for making my stay special and for the memories.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Columbia,MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed here for 5 days and it was great. Its a very basic hostel but they location and price are hard to beat. There were 8 beds in my room. The room was a but small and there weren't many outlets in the room but there were more in the living room. Clean showers and separate toilet. Helpful staff. Most of the occupants were not very young partners. The room I was in was right next to the common room and a couple of times there was a lot of noise till midnight. But it wasn't bad all days. Overall a good deal.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Pacific Tradewinds Hostel? Share your experiences!