My wife and I stayed in one of the en-suit double rooms here. It was very modern and well appointed - if basic - but it is a youth hostel so I think it was good for what it was. I imagine this would be the ideal place to stay if you are travelling and up for meeting new people. The place seemed very well organised and safe and the communal breakfast sets you up nicely for a busy day in the city.
When we arrived a tour of China Town was just setting off. We joined this and had an insightful experience for free - which is a rarity in what I think of as an incredibly expensive city. We tagged along on the tour mainly to get a recommendation for a restaurant. To this day I'm not sure if the otherwise very well informed local guide was playing a trick on us because the place he recommended was very poor. We really didn't like it - but of course that has nothing to do with the hostel.
I would make people aware that this is an extremely central location which is a blessing but also meant that it was quite rowdy in the evenings which could be intimidating to some people. It should also be noted that 2 streets over the whole area seems quite rough - with many homeless people and groups sitting around on corners. We were waiting for a bus nearby and it did feel a bit unsafe.
One useful hint is that this hostel is very well linked with the transit system so don't worry about lugging your suitcases long distances - it is right by one of the stops. I wished I had known this because I spent a fortune at the air-port storing some of our things as I thought we'd be hauling everything for miles (up the hills of SF).
I would recommend this place to a couple for 1 or 2 nights at most and for travellers for your entire time in SF.
- Also Known As:
- Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown Hotel San Francisco
- Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in the heart of the city, just one block from Union Square and steps from Chinatown and the cable cars! HI-San Francisco Downtown is close to the best cafes, clubs, theaters, and shopping. You'll love our new look, low prices, and four-bed dorms. Free continental breakfast, free WiFi, DSL Internet, guest kitchen, free linens and towels, daily housekeeping, free/low-cost daily activities and tours, 24-hour reception, and no curfews, chores, or lockouts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and HostelBookers so you can book your Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.