Save Saved
312 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
London, United Kingdom
“Noisey!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here for a week and had a private double. It was average at best. The room smelt funny for starters and it was on the main stairwell - noisy! Apart from the noise of people on the stairs all night there were frequent banging doors and the stomping of feet above. There was also a bench outside our room which, despite being in a corridor of rooms, seemed to attract people to sit and skype on it early in the morning. This was the inconsideration of fellow travellers as there were many communal areas that would have been more suitable and would not have disturbed anybody.
The shower was also a dribble and there were 2 provided for a large floor of people. The lock on the toilet was tricky which lead to somebody walking in on me when I was in there.
We have stayed in many hostels and this was certainly not the best. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

394 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Location: close to attractions, shops and transport but also close to a dodgy neighborhood. we felt very unsafe walking home after dark and altered our plans in san fran to avoid being out past dark, which was a little dissapointing considering the fun nightlight on offer

Staff: Ok, they helped us out with everything we needed, but provided the bare minimum in terms of service and conversing with us which gave a sterile tone to the hostel atmosphere. A fun art event was hosted at the hostel during our stay which was enjoyable and boosted the hostel atmosphere somewhat

Rooms: Sufficent dorms, great common areas, cold showers and not every bathroom locked properly

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hull, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I spent 3 nights at the downtown hostel and it was really nice. The staff was helpfull, the dorms and the showers were clean. We also had a good breakfast every morning. One other thing that I really liked was the activites organized every evening best time to meet people. The location was perfect, close of everything!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The room and the bathroom were basic and average but the location, the breakfast, the service and the wifi availability were brilliant. We were there for a few nights and enjoyed our stay. Very near to all of downtown. Security was good at reception. Would recommend it if you are travelling in groups or want a private double room for a bit cheaper than any other hotel in SF.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Travelled with my girlfriend and another couple and we took a 4-person mixed room. The room was clean, obviously recently refurbished. There is a lot of noise outside at night (parking lot across the stree), but not that it will keep you from sleeping. Very friendly staff and a lot of activities organized by the hostel itself. We did not do any of them, but if they looked very cool. The breakfast is perfect, so all in all a very good hostel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Due to room availability, we had to check out every day then check back in again in the afternoon. They were helpful with this and gave us storage space for our bags during the day. The rooms are nice, clean and tidy and the atmosphere is great. The price is also good for the location, and the complimentary breakfast is well worth it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed at Hostelling International on Mason Street for a week in March this year. I chose this hostel primarily for its location, and I wasn’t disappointed. The hostel is situated smack bang in the bustling heart of downtown San Francisco.

I booked a private room in the hostel, with a shared bathroom. The room itself was certainly nothing to do cartwheels about, but as I was staying in a hostel I knew not to expect the Hilton, and so didn’t really have a problem with it. The room had a bunk bed, a sink with a mirror above it, and a locker that was more than large enough to store my luggage in. The only real complaint I have about the room is that the door wasn’t particularly easy to open, which became annoying very quickly.

As for the rest of the hostel, it was neat, homely and well-organized. The breakfast room, which served breakfast from 8am to 10am, had more than enough fresh food for everyone (including fruit) and the room itself was nice and bright, had a pleasant atmosphere, and was buzzing with travellers from all over the world. There was a different activity to take part in every day at the hostel, from bike riding to bar crawling, but during my stay I only took part in one – beer tasting, which offered guests the opportunity to sample the local beers. It was fun and informative, and the staff member who hosted the activity was funny and likeable. In fact I had no problems with any of the staff I encountered during my stay, most were friendly and helpful.

When I checked out of the hostel, I left feeling satisfied that I’d had a pleasant stay. It was only when I got home that I realized that it didn’t go quite as smoothly as I’d originally thought. I arrived back in the UK on March 30th. Just over a week later, when I checked my bank statement, I was shocked to discover that someone in the US had used my card details on April 10th, spending £46. I immediately phoned my bank, only to discover that someone had also tried to spend a further £500 of my money, but luckily the bank successfully blocked the transaction before it went through and cancelled my card. When I asked them if they could tell me where exactly in the US my details were used (I travelled to L.A too) they told me, without hesitation, San Francisco.

Now of course it’s possible that someone stole my details in L.A and then travelled to San Francisco to use them, but it’s much more likely that my details were stolen in San Francisco while I was there. And as my bank statement from that month shows, the ONLY place in San Francisco that I used my card was within the hostel. I used it once at check-in to pay for my stay, I used it a few times in the computer room (you have to swipe your card to use the computers) and once at the cash machine by the front desk. I should add that my card was in my possession at all times. Looking back, I suspect that there was probably some kind of scamming device on one of the machines that I used. A more worrying possibility of course is that a member of staff stole my information from the system, but I like to think that wasn’t the case.

When I asked my bank if I should contact the hostel, they advised me against it and assured me, after I’d filled out a form, that the police would now investigate the matter. The only problem with these investigations is the victim is never told the outcome, so five months later I’m none the wiser as to who was actually responsible.

As quite a forgiving guy, I originally had no intention of writing this review. It was only recently when I told a friend what had happened that they convinced me that I should, and that I had a duty to in case this kind of thing happens to anyone else. So for anyone thinking of staying at this hostel, I’m not telling you that you shouldn’t, because overall I had a pleasant stay there, I’m just reminding you to be very vigilant and careful about where exactly you use your card.

Happy travelling ;-)

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
hiusaggc, Guest Relations Manager at Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Hello,

We wanted to contact you in regards to this review. We are very glad that you had a good stay here and enjoyed the location and activities! We wanted to address the issue you encountered with your credit card.

We want to express how seriously our company takes these types of situations. This is the first instance we have encountered in which a guest has advised of erroneous charges on their card after checking out. We would really like to get in touch with you so that we may help investigate this issue. We have sent a separate message to you with our management’s contact information. Any information you can provide regarding your use of the atm and computer stations would be helpful in helping us follow up with these companies to check their fraud protection systems.

As far as hostel employees utilizing card information, the front desk staff has no access to card numbers. This information is encrypted in a limited access section of the booking websites. Also, when a credit card is processed, the number is encrypted on our credit card reports to show only the last 4 digits. We utilize these measures to ensure the safety of our guests' important information.

Again, please feel free to contact us so that we may help you investigate this matter and put any concerns you may have to rest after all these months!

Thanks!

HI San Francisco Downtown
312 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
415.788.5604

Been to Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown? Share your experiences!