“Upscale and historical” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Upscale and historical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We really enjoyed the fresh and modern look to this old hotel. It has a history as a hotel for unmarried military officers back in the day...you can feel the lively spirit of the place. The decor feels modern-masculine and fresh! The plaid carpet up the stairs to our room on the 3rd floor was one I might use in my son's room. We had a large suite with a pull -out sofa and a gas fireplace. There were lots of windows and we could see the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance! The room was bright!

There was only one flat screen TV in the sitting area and not in the separate bedroom...boo hoo.
I think they may add it in the future....there is that perfect place above the huge dresser right across from the bed. A very comfortable bed by the way.

The bathroom was really pretty with striking shiny dark blue tiles surrounding the tub/shower combo. A black solid- surface counter top/sink area large enough for cosmetics and such. One of my favorite hotel bathrooms lately! Again, a very bright room!

Be prepared to walk up the stairs with your luggage...no elevator. Third floor rooms avoid the creaky floors though.

There was good coffee and fruit/cucumber water in the breakfast room when we checked in. The breakfast was nice the next morning with a fresh fruit salad, yogurt, pastries, etc. The wine and cheese was served 5-7 pm.

Easy parking....right behind the hotel.

You are quite isolated here, but we strolled over to a food-truck event within a 5 minute walk. It is called Off The Grid and is a "happening" locals hangout on Sundays at the edge of a nice park. Within about a 20 minute walk are some other casual restaurants/bars like Liverpool Lil's. The Marina District is not too far away.

Reception is odd.... just a desk inside a room off the front door.

The Presidio would be very cool to explore and the trails are everywhere!

Room Tip: We liked our 3rd floor corner suite!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I traveled to the west coast for our honeymoon and our last stop was San Francisco. I had done my research and knew we wanted a quieter place in San Francisco to end our trip. The Inn at the Presidio seemed like the PERFECT fit. All-in-all, it was! We came down from Napa, so the drive was fine and the Inn was easy to find! The room was very comfortable. We were hoping for a Bay View and I had been checking it for weeks, but the day I went to book, it was taken, so we ended up with a Forest View room. Even that was fine! The breakfast each morning was fabulous and the wine and cheese reception in the evenings was a nice touch. I even appreciated that we could take the bus from the Presidio down into downtown San Francisco for free and not have to worry about driving or parking or paying to park down there. My only complaint was that there was a lot of construction/forestry going on while we were there, so no morning was every quiet and relaxing. We were always jolted awake by the machinery. I also wasn't impressed that we weren't even congratulated on our honeymoon and maybe that's a bit picky of me, but every other spot we stayed, even Hampton Inn, congratulated us and gave us a complementary bottle of wine, a free upgrade, chocolates, or something. Just the fact that it wasn't acknowledged made me sad since that's the only honeymoon we'll every go on.
Regardless of my complaints, we really enjoyed ourselves in San Fran and I would highly recommend the Inn at the Presidio!

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This quaint hotel was absolutely adorable and it is in an amazing location. The Inn at the Presidio is beautifully decorated, the staff is extremely kind and the rooms are breathtaking. I definitely recommend staying at the Inn while visiting San Francisco!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hidden Valley Lake, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My family rented two suites last weekend. What an incredible experience...we loved the hiking trails, historical monuments, and beautiful surroundings. It is such a luxury to spend the day in crowds of San Francisco and then escape to the relative calm of this former Army installation. Our rooms were spacious and the staff wonderful. They were polite, helpful, and informative. This is the best hotel at which I have ever had the priviledge of staying. We will try to arrange future vacations there if the word doesn't get out to the general public and cause the rates to become out of reach for retired military officers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at The Inn at the Presidio on the first night of our trip to California. We loved the simple elegance of our room and the huge walk-in shower. The fire on the back patio seemed to be blazing at all times of the day. We enjoyed The Ecology Trail, with views of the city and the bay, in the evening and in the morning. Wine and cheese reception and breakfast were both exceptional. The Presidio was a quick drive from the Golden Gate Park and it is close to Crissy Beach and to the parking area for those who want to walk the Golden Gate Bridge. Could have stayed an extra day just to read the excellent selection of books about San Francisco in our room. Very quiet at night. We will definitely stay here during our next San Francisco trip.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the parking lot, but was very quiet.
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was an officer at the Presidio 49 years ago and I assure you the Bachelor Officers Quarters (BOQ ) were never this nice. From our arrival to our departure, the staff went out of their way to be of assistance . . . especially Brett.

The rooms were immaculate and airy. The wine and cheese the night of our arrival, enjoying both around the fire pit, and the delicious complimentary breakfast the next morning were the "icing on the cake".

I am looking forward to reserving accommodations at the Inn for our next visit to San Francisco.

Richard S.

Room Tip: Call Brett and ask for his advice. He won't disappoint you.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I don't normally do this but the Inn at the Presidio was so charming that I just felt I had to. The Inn has beautiful rooms with an amazing location surrounded by natural beauty. I live locally in the city but never would have thought to stay in the Presidio. Now this is where I will have to have any family and friends that visit me stay! Brett and Rhenan, hope that is spelled right, were phenomenal! Brett took the time before I arrived to assist me in all ways possible making the best reservations for restaurants I never knew of in the city and really took the time to make sure I was all set, even before I checked in. I travel a lot for business and have never seen a hotel take the time to offer such a wonderful service like that. Take advantage of the email that they send you before you arrive!!!! It has great videos and useful information! Rhenan was able to arrange transportation for my partner from the airport since I was running late from a meeting! She remembered us every time we walked by the desk and made us feel as if she really did care how our stay went. If you stay at the Inn which I highly recommend since they have a free wine and cheese reception and breakfast in the morning- talk about an amazing little perk- that you talk to either one of them they really know what they are talking about! Thank you Brett and Rhenan for making our staycation and the Inn something magical!

Room Tip: Stay in a Classical 2 room loved the second floor because of rocking chairs and had nice view of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at the Presidio? Share your experiences!