“Great food; even better hospitality!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cuban, Latin
Dining options: Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Polk and Larkin
Transit: Muni #'s 30, 19, 47 and 49.
Nutley, New Jersey
“Great food; even better hospitality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I stumbled upon this place on Easter Sunday, and were so happy we did! They had just opened so it was very quiet, but because of this we were able to meet and talk to the owner/chef who was wonderful--so genuinely nice! We loved the sangria, the pork empanada, and both of our entrees--oh, the sweet potato puree was divine! My husband is Puerto Rican, so we eat Latin food often--this place is authentic. We left happy!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Monterey, California
“Finally, some good Caribbean food in the bay area!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We drove by this unassuming restaurant on our way to Fisherman's Wharf, where I had my heart set on some fabulous Argentinean food from the Tangito food truck. A sign in the window touting arepas (among other things) caught my attention because I love them, but I only had eyes for empanadas...So when the food truck was closed, my heart broke a little, but it perked up at the thought of some decent Caribbean food (that I hadn't yet found in SF). We arrived and were told that there was a big group coming and they didn't have room, but we could sit at the bar if we wanted. They were completely short-staffed (as was explained to us later), and the service was slow, but they were both so nice it was hard to be upset about it. We ordered the house specialty lechon with mashed yams as well as the arepa, an empanada and some tostones (another favorite of mine!). The food was great- and I don't say that often- fresh, bright tastes mixed together, paired with sauces that complemented rather than covered. The tostones could have had a little more garlic when eaten plain, but the sauce served with them had plenty. The arepa with queso fresco was a little thick, but paired with the queso fresco and sauce was tasty. Over all, it was a great find and a restaurant I will surely be visiting again when I'm in SF...

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hampton, United Kingdom
“Great Tastes, Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Don't be put off by the low-key look of this place - an unprepossessing frontage and formica-topped tables aren't the best way to invite you in. But once in, you'll find it well worth it. We were a party of 5 and had 4 main dishes between us. Each was generous, and everyone was a taste treat. From risotto-style rice dishes to an exquisite fillet steak cut in to bite-sized portions on a pancake-type base, everything was delicious. Sadly, I wasn't sensible enough to make a note of the names of the dishes.
Service was friendly and informative. Service to mains was a little slow, but then you knew they were being cooked for you from scratch.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Buenisimo! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Excellent service. Quaint setting. Outstanding Latin food blending recipes and flavors from Cuba, Puerto Rico and Colombia. Highly recommended!

Beverley, United Kingdom
“WOW - eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We (2 very hungry families including two 14 yr old children) stumbled across this place just before their closing time (9.30pm) after an evening visit to Alcatraz. We entered and asked the waitress if we could still get served (there was only one other family in there who had just been served their meal) and we were very happily told that they would stay open to serve us. Well, we order a number of different dishes to share and the food was fantastic. After being served the chef (and owner) came out to speak to us to see if we enjoyed the meal - he stayed with us until 11pm gave us lots of free wine and we had the best night of our 2 week holiday. If you can, visit this place ,it really is fantastic - great food, great wine, great staff, great atmosphere and great value.

• Visited August 2013