“Awful” 2 of 5 stars

2850 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Russian Hill)   |
Ranked #222 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
“Awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This place is shocking, everything looks like it needs replacing, ie, light switches broken, coffee maker had no lid to cover the water, bed uncomfortable, pillows very thin, bedding very worn, with holes, carpet dirty, door to room hard to close and very dirty, could hear the people in the next room, and they are expensive. Will not recommend the motel to anyone else ever.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I wish I could give this motel(America's Best Inn San Francisco) a negative number on the rating scale. Trust me when I say this, based on my limited experience and my limited budget I could have found a better motel and I would have felt safer and more secure. Which is one of their so called 'core values'. This is a long review but bare with me it's worth the read!
Lets start from the beginning. My father and I stayed at this motel based on its location to a family member who lives in the area. Upon arrival we were charged the full amount for our stay...before we had even stayed! We were informed that the elevator didn't work and had to walk up two flights of stairs to our room. Not a big deal except for the distinct smell of urine in the stair well. Then we tried getting into our room...the door had a hard time opening. When asking the housekeeper to help , she briskly opened the door like she knew how and walked away. We later had to get her again to open it and eventually had to learn the secret to opening it the hard way (late at night, with jet lag and about 20 times of inserting our key) ourselves. It's not rocket science, it shouldn't be that hard to open a door. Upon entry into our room we were not so pleasantly surprised at the tight quarters, the non working though plugged in alarm clock, the black mold in the shower and the lack of a night lock( remember this fact, it will all come together in a second) on the door and no stopper on the window so as not to allow someone to be able to get through it. But we figured we wouldn't be spending much time here other than sleeping so we could survive right?
WRONG! On one of the last nights of our trip while my father and I slept in our uncomfortable beds someone came into our room and robbed us. I woke up to a man standing above me and pulling my iPod touch off its charger and swiping my father's wallet off our nightstand. While I screamed, hollered and chased the man who had our belongings past the windowed front desk, it seems the concierge was enjoying time to himself because he saw nothing. He wasn't behind the desk when my father had gone to get him. Mean while it was probably hard to not hear the commotion I was causing because I woke up the entire motel with my screams and pleas for the intruder to not steal our things. Not only did the concierge not want to call the cops, he couldn't understand WHY we would want to call the cops! After a few choice words he reluctantly called them but handed the phone to me to give the details. ie: where the motel was located, what had happened, all things he could have answered himself.
While waiting for the police to arrive we ask the concierge if the numerous cameras caught anything...guess what?! The cameras don't work! Go figure! There were two on each corner or end of the building, are they just for show? Let me just point out that the entire time that my father and I are standing with the concierge, barefoot and pajama clad that not once did he ever apologize for what happened or even ask if we were ok.
So the police come, report is filed. We go down the next morning after little to no sleep, and ask for a manager. There isn't one available. Telling the new front desk person of the events elicited the same response as the night person. No 'I'm sorry this happened' , no 'I'm sorry you're going to have a hard time getting on your flight back home without an id' , no 'is there anything we can do to make this right?' It's like the entire staff was trained not to give a flying you know what about its guests. When asking if they were going to put a lock on the door, they gave us attitude and said they guess they could ' try ' to get someone in to fix it but with the holiday weekend coming up it might be difficult. Well how about switching rooms then? It seemed as if it was the world was coming to an end because we had asked for a little bit of safety after the traumatic event by switching rooms.
To end this saga I will leave you with this, you are far better of either spending a little more for a better place because when it comes down to it how much is too much for your safety and security? I'll let your imagination run wild while you think of all the other things that the intruder could have decided to do had I not been in the room with my father.
As a side note I will add that there is a good chance that your bed spread has seen the dirty parking lot as the house keeping staff is so lazy that they throw the comforters over the railing and don't care if they miss the laundry bucket, and cars run over them...oh yes we witnessed that. So if the price looks too good to be true, it is! The repercussions of this night are still going on, between having no cash flow from having to cancel all of my dad's credit cards, to my own nightmares of strangers in my room and not trusting anyone. I wouldn't stay here again if my life depended on it. And by the way the corporate headquarters has been treating us, I wouldn't stay at any of their establishments if they paid me.

• Stayed August 2013
Dover Plains, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this place from Aug. 25 to Sept. 1. A family member reserved our room because of good location. Immediate feeling of uneasiness. We paid $230 per night for two double beds. Would not normally stay in a place like this but figured that we did not have many options and we were only going to be in the room for sleep and showers. Room key rarely worked, mold in the bathroom and half of the deadbolt was missing. On the fourth night of our stay, at 1:30 in the morning, my daughter woke up to a 6' man standing over her while he was steeling my wallet and her i-pod. He ran out of the room with us chasing him. We were not able to catch him. When I went to the office, that the burglar had to go past, I had to ring the buzzer because the office was locked and no one was at the desk. When I told the attendant what had happened and asked him to call the police, he refused. My daughter called them instead. When the police asked if the security cameras were working, the attendant said no. The next morning when I demanded that they repair the lock, they chose to change our room instead and then booked someone else in that room. At no time did they apologize or even analogize the event. When asked how to get a hold of management, they could not or, would not, give it to us. In my opinion, I do not think that this place is safe to stay at. I am trying to get in touch with the corporate offices to inform them of the conditions of this franchise and recommend that they SHUT IT DOWN.

Room Tip: "DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!" "Safest place to stay is on the streets"
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stillwater, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We wanted to be close to the Wharf but not for $300-$500. Don't be tempted like we were. We spent $132 with taxes and fees for room with 2 double beds. First room didn't have a deadbolt on the door. Second room had daylight coming through the door, but had a deadbolt. Night stand lights and outlets didn't work. Room was very small, dark and dingy. Both rooms had a peculiar musty/damp concrete smell. Large cigarette cans outside rooms that haven't been dumped. People fighting & screaming in parking lot in the middle of the night. Hill next to hotel had loud trucks screeching their brakes going down the hill to red light. Our magnetic key didn't work. Management brought the master up and another, neither worked. Said they would bring us a new key but never did. Trash trucks came very early tuesday morning (5 or 6 a.m.), and woke us up--very loud. Trash dumpsters are right below the rooms. Motel is U-shaped so all the noise echos. So not worth $132 just to be close to the Wharf. Pretty creepy place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stay away from this hotel! It’s horrible and dirty place.
We've got a smelly room and not cheap! The only reason why we stayed there was because of the location close to the wharf.Poor customer service, the staff was useless, they didn't look much concerned about the customers. Continental breakfast incl in price...well, only horrible coffee and dry croissants - thats it! Also when we asked for a manager, he was never available!
In overall - bad experience, would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Maastricht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We booked on the spur of the moment, the reviews weren't that good, but for $82 a night including tax, this was very good find, and not too far away from Fisherman wharf.
It is only 10 min walk down Van Ness st.
The motel is in nice quiet area on the corner of Chesnut & Van Ness. Bonus is that buses stops nearly right at the door of the motel and they had parking for free. Breakfast was free but it was pastries and coffe only, sufficient till you hit some breakfast establishment. But Italian neighbourhood has miryard of bakeries.
Room by USA standards wasn't that big, but it did had 2 queen beds, bit fryed at the edges, but everything you need was there, including, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, hear drier.free wifi and TV with adequate choice of channels. Room smelled musty a bit whe we first arrived, but soon this was gone. Bathroom was very clean and enough towels.
Pet peeve was that wifi was sporadic as I wanted to upload photos,call to the reception was enough to make them tweak the connection.
I would stay again on my next stop to SF, much better choice than Traveloge and way cheaper.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nogales, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stay away from this hotel. Everyone who said that this hotel was ok is out of their mind. The hotel is horrible and we paid like $70 dlls for one night. I know SF is expensive when it comes to hotels but a Motel 6 is a 5 star hotel compared to this one. I stayed with my girlfriend and she was terrified of staying by herself and I can't blame her. The only reason why we stayed there was because some hotels near the area did not have any rooms so we saw this one advertised and we gave it a shot which we regret. Please look for something else and if you do not want to pay a lot of money for a good hotel use those websites that provide unpublished hotels at a special rate. I'm pretty sure that is more of a safe bet than choosing this one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to America's Best Inn San Francisco? Share your experiences!