“Beautiful, homey, and clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Artists Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Artists Inn
You added Artists Inn to your Saves list
2231 Pine Street, San Francisco, CA 94115 (Japantown)   |
Ranked #15 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
new york, ny
“Beautiful, homey, and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was hesitant to come here, as I noticed the reviews were from so long ago. However, I just stayed here a week or so ago, and it was absolutely wonderful. The only reason for lack of one star is that there is no breakfast. They are upfront about this, but obviously I can't give a perfect B &B score without part of the B!

The ambience was amazing. It is very quiet here now, as I believe the proprieter has another home at which she stays part of the year. But there was someone to greet me when I arrived, a bottle of wine chililng in the refrigerator, and a perfectly kempt room. The place is like your grandma's house, except probably better and/or fancier and nestled on a relatively quiet, hilly street near Fillmore. There is beautiful artwork throughout, and clean, sizable, tastefully appointed rooms. There is also a lovely fenced-in garden to sit, reflect, drink some wine, etc.

I would recommend this place a million times over, especially since I did not know what to expect for the lack of reviews for the past few years. It is about a 10-minute cab ride ($10) to the closet BART station at Mission and 16th St. Absolutely beautiful and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bisbee, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

The good things about this B and B are the wonderful beds, the plethora of reading material, the proximity to Fillmore Street and the nice little garden. But, if you choose to stay in the Garden Room of this B and B, be prepared to be part of the family--whether you want to or not. This room is directly underneath the owners kitchen and dining room and when you wake up--when they do--you'll be able to share in the experience of them moving around, making breakfast, talking to each other, answering the phone and generally getting their day started. You will also be privy to private conversations while the owners sit on the top of the stairs right outside of your room and talk to their friends. You COULD make yourself a cup of coffee and get your day started, too, but there aren't any coffee makers in the rooms!!! The owners say "there are coffee shops half a block away" which is true, but who wants to walk down there in your PJs? Even the cheapest of Motels 6s have coffee available in the rooms and I can't imagine this over sight. I'd rather have coffee available than a complimentary bottle of Two Buck Chuck wine in the dreadfully noisy mini frig that had to be unplugged to get a good night sleep.
If you are planning on staying here and have a little time to do so you might want to get yourself a copy of the (free) public transportation schedule by emailing [--]. While this could be really, really helpful to have available in the rooms they are not. My husband and I stumbled around the first couple of days, asking strangers at the bus stops, how to get where we wanted to go. If these maps were in the rooms it sure would be helpful. Also, do your homework as far as parking garages go--they vary from $45 a day to $10 a day. This is another thing that you are on your own about. These little things would make this place soooo much better! Granted, the owners aren't tour guides but they have the knowledge of the city and really should share it. I would recommend this hotel to friends, but I'd warn them first.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

September 08 my husband my sister and I stayed at the Artists Inn for a week. We had the garden room which was brilliant for the three of us as there were 2 bedrooms and sufficient space to spread out and relax in. We loved it here. It had a genuine homely feel which was great at the end of a full day sightseeing. The beds were comfortable with the most luxurious pillows and the hosts provide a great array of books to choose from. It was important to us to be able to make a cup of tea in our room and we especially appreciated the complimentary bottles of wine left in the fridge daily. Our one regret was that we were too busy taking in the sights of the city and surrounding areas to really enjoy time in the lovely courtyard garden. The location is brilliant-easy walking distance to restaurants and attractions, and it felt very safe walking around at night. This is a great place to stay and we would certainly stay there again. We would also happily recommend Artists Inn to others as an excellent choice when looking for accommodation in Sanfransisco. Thanks for a lovely time,
Angie, Roger and Trish Blenheim/ Taupo NZ

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

My 8 year old daughter and I stayed in the Garden Room for 4 nights in July 2009. It was our last stop before heading home to Sydney after a busy 6 week trip. I paid a little extra to use the loft (another bed seperated from the garden room). Was worth every cent. we were so comfortable and cosy. Plus my daughter loved having her own space and tv.

The Artist's Inn has a special quality that I can't describe. I felt so content, happy and safe here. The Inn is located just a few doors away from Fillmore Street. Lots of great cafes, shops etc. Its a quiet and safe area. We only got a taxi twice - rest of the time we got around on the street cars, cable or buses - too easy. Never waited more than a couple of minutes.

Denise and Bill are incredibly gracious, thoughtful and generous hosts. The B&B is staggeringly beautiful. There is a charm and attention to detail that can only be truly appreciated when you visit. Even if you don't use it the garden area is blissful and is a real oasis. There is a side entrance to all the rooms so you don't need to enter through the house. I did cause I enjoyed chatting with Denise and Bill.

The room we stayed in was below their living area. I didn't mind the house noises from above - it was strangely comforting for me. If you are a couple you may prefer one of the other rooms that is seperate from the main house. They let us check in when we arrived (10am). This made a huge difference to our day. And our flight back to Sydney was late at night and there was no problem checking out late. They also let my daughter use their computer - very kind!

The beds and linen were so comfy and there was a huge library of books to browse. We slept so well. We arrived super tired after roaming NYC and Disneyland. We left super rested and content.

They don't serve breakfast but its a one minute walk to any number of cafes.

I will be back here in a heart beat. Lets keep this a secret so don't go telling everyone about this!!!

• Stayed July 2009
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed at the Artist's Inn for 8 days and stayed in Robert's Room. We loved our room, such a generous size and beautiffuly decorated and arranged. It felt very homely and was lovely to have a sofa to relax and chill out. The bathroom is a great size and a joy to use.

In fact we loved the room so much it was almost too hard to leave for a day's sightseeing.

We also really appreciated the mini kitchen and the complimentary bootle of wine - such a great idea. It was lovely to have a coffee in the morning and have the occasional breakfast in our room instead of eating out the whole time.

Denise and Bill are lovely and their house is beautiful.

The house is in a fantastic little neighbourhood with some great shops (Benefit, MAC, Aveda, Kiehls, plus lots of clothes shops and a few book shops) and places to eat. There's also a fantastic little cinema 10 minutes up the road. The Inn is also near the fantastic Yoshi's - a great place to hear some jazz.

My only criticism is that there was sometimes a bit of noise in the morning (there's an entry point system to access the rooms), with people coming and going I found the buzzer quite loud!

The pillows were a bit too soft for me and it would have been helpful to have some rudimentary info about how to get about in the city. We initially found the bus system a bit confusing until we got a map, so maybe a map in the room would be a good idea?

Really really minor points though. I would come back here in a heartbeat!

• Liked — Pretty much everything!
  • Disliked — soft pillows - bit too soft for me
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

We stayed at the Artists Inn for one week. Denise and Bill no longer serve breakfast but there were wonderful places to eat within several blocks. We stayed in Robert's Room, but I peeked into Virginia's room and I think I liked that one better. We loved Filmore Street which was a 1/2 block away. Filmore is where the old rock and roll bands used to play. Very easy walking distance to restaurants, cafes, yoga studios, new trendy stores but several resale stores, small corner convience store and Lily's laundry who did our wash and fold. No need to rent a car, taxi ride to the Embarcadero was around 10 dollars. It was the best of both worlds, didn't have to eat breakfast around a host's schedule but didn't have to wait in line for the elevator and the hassles of hotel rooms. THere was a tiny little kitchen in a hall closet to keep juice and cream or sodas. A microwave would have been nice but I absolutly love having a refrigerator available along with a nice room and bath. Some noise, and always everywhere in CA, the nights are so light, bring your eyemask. Wonderful place, can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Location, location, location, price but really geared towards adult couples.
  • Disliked — Really needs some blackout curtains for night time.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

Even being very particular about where I stay, the Artist's Inn managed to exceed my expectations. The room we had was
not only very comfortable, quiet, clean, and complete with comforters, down pillows, and extra blankets (as well as a heater), a refrigerator, cups, silverware, and whatever you might need to have a bite to eat in the room, a spotless bathroom with a wonderful shower, and a lot of books, and also access to a private garden area. The breakfast was wonderful. I had searched a long time to find a place to stay in San Francisco where I could breathe natural air through an open window, as well as be on the ground rather than in a high-rise hotel--and finally found this. The owner who turned the home into a B&B put a lot of thought into what a traveler would need, and I didn't find anything missing.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Artists Inn? Share your experiences!